"New" Nintendo 3DS XL Fire Emblem: Fates Edition

SaMaster14

Hey guys, did anyone else pick up a "New" Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL?

I received my Fire Emblem Fates Edition "New" N 3DS XL on launch day! The device itself is a bit sleeker and feels thinner/newer than the outgoing model even though it's still a pretty bulky device. The 3D features are MUCH improved with a face-tracking front camera that helps keep the 3D graphics inline even if you move around a bit.

I don't think I'll get much use out of the ZL/ZR buttons or the C-stick, but the device has NFC now which will allow for future integration with newer games. The Fire Emblem Fates edition is quick good looking for a gaming device, and for the same price as the regular one (currently), if you are a fire emblem fan, or even if you just want something different than the normal colors, it's great!

Here are some photos of the device!! Let me know if anyone wants photos of the box/what it comes with (not much different from the regular: the device, manual booklet, and 6 AR cards, NO CHARGER included).

The device itself looks different in different lights as well. The graphics on the device of the Hoshido and Nohr seals along with the dancing dragons can almost disappear under certain light or shade and the front changes from white to grayish with the back changing from black to dark gray, to orange-ish in some lights. There is an almost 'metallic' tint to the front and back which allows for these color shifts.

492425F4-C211-4634-88F4-3D6811ADDBE2.jpg

95561E34-184C-4E88-93C1-193F6C022C50.jpg

CC5E53B5-4123-47A3-B3BB-881D3BA43710.jpg

(Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright Theme on there!)

71C4A0A1-8E49-4CE1-B4EF-8526720D750A.jpg

!!! It looks so beautiful in those photos!

(I pre-ordered it a while back, and it should be coming tomorrow! Sadly I got standard shipping because I pre-ordered too many things, and the price of it all killed me...)

EDIT: Nice theme, but I'll be using the Nohr one!

Edited by Jin

Looking awesome. I'm perfectly content with my Red 3DS XL but yeah looks solid. Just would have been nice if they included a copy of the game with it even if it was just a digital special edition.

!!! It looks so beautiful in those photos!

(I pre-ordered it a while back, and it should be coming tomorrow! Sadly I got standard shipping because I pre-ordered too many things, and the price of it all killed me...)

EDIT: Nice theme, but I'll be using the Nohr one!

Thanks guys! It is a great looking device! Would have been nice if they included the digital game. Would have paid a bit extra for that too... I used Best Buy and I think my shipping was free because it was over a certain amount!

The nub isn't amazing but I use it a lot for Monster Hunter 4U's camera. The built-in amiibo functionality works great for Fire Emblem Fates since the Fire Emblem amiibos give such great goodies to use.

Ya, I don't use the c-stick much. I heard it was mainly added for Monster Hunter 4 which is crazy popular in Japan. I don't even think the game is playable in the states?

Which Amiibo's do you recommend picking up for Fire Emblem? I'm thinking about getting a few!

Ya, I don't use the c-stick much. I heard it was mainly added for Monster Hunter 4 which is crazy popular in Japan. I don't even think the game is playable in the states?

? The game's been out for more than a year now lol. Even had its own special edition new 3ds (which I have).

? The game's been out for more than a year now lol. Even had its own special edition new 3ds (which I have).

I had no idea. When I was reading a review of the 'new' 3ds vs the 'old' one, the reviewer mentioned that the c-stick was mainly for Monster Hunter 4, which 'was available only in Japan.' They must have messed up haha. Might have to check out the game! the new 3ds edition for it looks great too!

I had no idea. When I was reading a review of the 'new' 3ds vs the 'old' one, the reviewer mentioned that the c-stick was mainly for Monster Hunter 4, which 'was available only in Japan.' They must have messed up haha. Might have to check out the game! the new 3ds edition for it looks great too!

When the New 3DS came out, MH4U wasn't out yet. However the MH4U game and New 3DS bundle came out on the same day, same as Majora's Mask 3DS. It's been a little over a year since it's been out.

As for amiibos for Fire Emblem Fates, only the 4 current Fire Emblem amiibos (Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina) have any functionality but they give you in-game accessories (2 each) and then a class change item to their respective 2nd tier classes. Those same amiibos work with Codename S.T.E.A.M. as well. Smash Bros supports any amiibo with the Smash Bros bases. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer supports all the Animal Crossing amiibos except Villager, I think. Xenoblade Chronicles gives you tokens for unlocking things in the model viewer and jukebox if you tap in Shulk. Hyrule Warriors will likely work with every amiibo for random bonuses but have special weapons if you tap in the Link amiibo specifically.

When the New 3DS came out, MH4U wasn't out yet. However the MH4U game and New 3DS bundle came out on the same day, same as Majora's Mask 3DS. It's been a little over a year since it's been out.

As for amiibos for Fire Emblem Fates, only the 4 current Fire Emblem amiibos (Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina) have any functionality but they give you in-game accessories (2 each) and then a class change item to their respective 2nd tier classes. Those same amiibos work with Codename S.T.E.A.M. as well. Smash Bros supports any amiibo with the Smash Bros bases. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer supports all the Animal Crossing amiibos except Villager, I think. Xenoblade Chronicles gives you tokens for unlocking things in the model viewer and jukebox if you tap in Shulk. Hyrule Warriors will likely work with every amiibo for random bonuses but have special weapons if you tap in the Link amiibo specifically.

Awesome, thank you for the info!

Which Amiibo's do you recommend picking up for Fire Emblem? I'm thinking about getting a few!

Ike and Marth are the ones that interest me the most in general, but Robin gives you Rally Spectrum should you ever need a Rallybot. They're all fairly decent though their locked items are pretty good, even their weaker versions.