Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Fairy is such a good typing that Clefable went from a UU with an OU niche into the second best mon in OU, although to be fair Clefable had such a bullshit movepool to begin with

Make me wonder, are we getting Alola Eevee with their own set of Alola evo?

incoming Flareon become Alolan and it doesn't have Flare Blitz

Edited by JSND

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairy is such a good typing that Clefable went from a UU with an OU niche into the second best mon in OU, although to be fair Clefable had such a bullshit movepool to begin with

Tell me about it, last time I fought one, couldn't do shit because of Cosmic power and Clefable is bulky to begin with and can't toxic stall this thing since it has Magic bounce.

I would love too, I would probably scream if that ever happens.

Flareon needs a buff too.

But it does get Blaze Kick!

Maybe make them Former-Physical types, since GF has already established they don't give a shit if the names make no sense on the Alola forms (Sandshrew and Sandslash/Sand and Sandpan)

I would like to see Alola forms of Eevee but I can't really imagine the functionality to that considering there's Eeveelutions for a good chunk of some of the core available types already so to change the typing to an existing Eeveelution seems kind of...strange to me.

Like, you can't really have Flareon moving to the snowy mountains and it becomes an ice type because Glaceon is already a thing. With that in mind, I can't really imagine how they would adapt the existing Eeveelutions to different environments. A ghost Eeveelution would be cool, but which existing Eeveelution would fit the scenario of adapting into a new environment so it turns into a ghost? Espeon or Umbreon maybe.

Edited by carefreejules

Alola's kind of confusing, with all of these "Alola forms", but it still looks interesting nonetheless. Although I might be the odd one out in preferring their regular forms instead right now. I hope that these Alola forms aren't limited to just the first gen, though. Even if my love is split between first gen and sixth gen (first one I was introduced to, first one I actually played), it's only fair to expand it to the other gens.

Alola's kind of confusing, with all of these "Alola forms", but it still looks interesting nonetheless. Although I might be the odd one out in preferring their regular forms instead right now. I hope that these Alola forms aren't limited to just the first gen, though. Even if my love is split between first gen and sixth gen (first one I was introduced to, first one I actually played), it's only fair to expand it to the other gens.

I agree with this, they should be sprinkled into the other gens as well. Although I do understand why Gen 1 is a core target to show these off, its to get a reaction from us who started alllllllllllllllll the way back then.

But everyone started at different times, so something for them would be really nice. I have a cousin who started with Gen 4, so I'm hoping some of his favorite first pokemon get some love too.

Yeah, Jedi, I technically started with gen 4 too, even though I played N64 Pokemon games and watched the anime way back when the series was brand new. Seeing some Alola forms for Sinnoh Pokemon would bring a big smile to me for this reason!

Edited by Anacybele

Maybe Carnivine, and a few other weirder Gen 4's can get some Aloha forms, or something haha. I just have an odd like of Carnivine.

Also I'm wondering if any starters from any Gen will get Aloha stuff.

Edited by Jedi

It's okay to bias Gen 1 a bit, but something like what happened to Gen V with Megas in XY (there were no Gen V megas in those games) really shouldn't happen again. We did get Mega Audino in ORAS, but it still seemed like Gen V shafting to some extent.

Maybe having the number of Alola variants per Gen be proportional to how many the Gen in question introduced, or something, since there's far less choices among the Johto, Sinnoh, and Kalos Pokémon.

I agree with this, they should be sprinkled into the other gens as well. Although I do understand why Gen 1 is a core target to show these off, its to get a reaction from us who started alllllllllllllllll the way back then.

But everyone started at different times, so something for them would be really nice. I have a cousin who started with Gen 4, so I'm hoping some of his favorite first pokemon get some love too.

I've seen several theories as to why we've only seen Kanto 'mons with alternate forms:

(1) They were trying to cash in on Pokemon Go hype

(2) Due the gradual powercreep of the series, the Alola forms are intended to be buffs

(3) It's general genwunner pandering

Honestly, I'm leaning towards a mixture of 1 and 3.

Edited by The DanMan

It's okay to bias Gen 1 a bit

A bit? They've biased it a bunch in Kalos and now they're starting to do it again in Alola. I say that's a lot, not just a bit. >.>

A bit? They've biased it a bunch in Kalos and now they're starting to do it again in Alola. I say that's a lot, not just a bit. >.>

Yeah, I know, what I'm saying is it's fine if there's a bit of bias, so long as they don't go overboard like in Gen VI. Like I said, later Gens, particularly Gen V which had a wide selection of Pokémon they could have given megas to got shafted.

I've seen several theories as to why we've only seen Kanto 'mons with alternate forms:

(1) They were trying to cash in on Pokemon Go hype

(2) Due the gradual powercreep of the series, the Alola forms are intended to be buffs

(3) It's general genwunner pandering

Honestly, I'm leaning towards a mixture of 1 and 3.

I agree pretty much wholeheartedly. I'm just amazed my favorite Gen 1 mon (Ninetails) got something new after all this time.

I wonder if Pokemon developers have forgotten the existence of certain Pokemon. 721 of these things (and more, thanks to Alola) and I'm sure some of them just didn't stick in people's memories.

The first generation is probably the easiest to remember for people who knew anything about it, 151 wasn't that much to remember. And even then, I don't remember everything from it.

But I will say this, there are certain Pokemon I wish I could forget. Yet I can't.

Edited by Sunwoo

Tbh Gen 1 is my least favorite Gen in terms of designs overall, with very few I really like, namely Vulpix/Ninetales and Eevee and its Evolutions.

But I know they're popular so I just sit and deal while cheering for the Gallade love in ORAS and hoping Roserade, Luxray, Cinccino, Musharna, Volcarona, etc. get love at some point.

Yeah, I know, what I'm saying is it's fine if there's a bit of bias, so long as they don't go overboard like in Gen VI. Like I said, later Gens, particularly Gen V which had a wide selection of Pokémon they could have given megas to got shafted.

Ohhh, yeah, you're right about that. And Gen 5 definitely did kinda get shafted. That was another reason I was hoping for Mega Zebstrika.

If I had to pick, Gen V is probably my least favorite in design -- although in all fairness it's only so because there's one Pokemon line that just absolutely scares the everliving fuck out of me and after I found out it existed I can't forget it even though I wish I could. A few of the Pokemon I like are from Gen V (Petilil/Lilligant, Rufflet/Braviary, and Ducklett/Swanna), but just ... I can't.

Edited by Sunwoo

I understand everyone's scepticism especially considering what happened in X and Y, but I think it's a little bit too early to call these Alola forms gen 1 pandering

It kinda is, but I think GF could have avoided these fears/lessened them considerably if it isn't genwunner pandering by introducing some Gen II-VI Alola variants instead of just Gen 1 ones.

If I had to pick, Gen V is probably my least favorite in design -- although in all fairness it's only so because there's one Pokemon line that just absolutely scares the everliving fuck out of me and after I found out it existed I can't forget it even though I wish I could. A few of the Pokemon I like are from Gen V (Petilil/Lilligant, Rufflet/Braviary, and Ducklett/Swanna), but just ... I can't.

If I were to guess... Chandelure or Jellicent? Edited by Glaceon Mage

It kinda is, but I think GF could have avoided these fears/lessened them considerably if it isn't genwunner pandering by introducing some Gen II-VI Alola variants instead of just Gen 1 ones.

You aren't wrong, but still. I am hoping for Alola Tropius

If I were to guess... Chandelure or Jellicent?

Nope. It's that sarcophagus Pokemon and it's pre-evolution.

Seriously, WHY. Ghost type is generally my least favorite simply because I don't like anything that's remotely scary, but I do like some ghost type Pokemon. The Honedge line, for one, became one of my favorites even though I thought it was going to scare me with its PokeDex entry. But just ... it is going WAY too far for me when a Pokemon is based off something you put dead people in, AND WITH THAT POKEDEX ENTRY TOO.

Sangyul, I don't blame you, I don't like anything scary either, and Yamask and Cofagrigus rather scare me too. xP

But there's another Pokemon that scares me more, and it actually isn't even Ghost type.

Hypno.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Hypno's pretty creepy as well, but I think the reason it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the aforementioned two (and the reason why nothing else bothers me as much as those two) is because they're not literally based on things that you put dead people in. They look pretty terrifying, too, which isn't helping.