Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

No eeveelution on your team?

:O

I didn't find Eevee until like

I was about to fight the Elite 4.

That's what I get for rushing I guess lol.

You know what, I'm surprised at this too. lol Not even Glaceon is on her team. :P

I think I'll list my good and bad points for the game as well since I've played just about all it has to offer. Like Glac though, I still enjoyed Sun despite my complaints.

Good:

- The difficulty! A couple times early on, I felt that it was overwhelming (there's practically nothing that can counter that teacher's Magnemite or Ilima's Pokemon), but overall, this game is nicely challenging, but not insanely hard.

- A lot of awesome new Pokemon! PRIMARINA <3

- Kukui is awesome.

- Lillie is awesome.

- Heck, Hau and Gladion are pretty cool too.

- Story is good, possibly the best in the series.

- The trial system is nice and feels fresh compared to all the gyms before it.

- Pokemon Refresh is fun

- The Alola region is overall really cool!

Bad:

- The UBs were kind of a missed opportunity, imo. They seemed to be marketed as having a large role in the story, and they're an interesting idea, yet they weren't really prominent until the post-game. Only Nihilego was seen much before then. :/

- Speaking of the post-game, it was rather weak. I can't find much to do other than complete the Pokedex. The UB quest was nice (mainly because LOOKER <3), but that's really the only big thing I can find. What happened to getting to explore a bunch of new areas like in Sinnoh or Unova? Or even a whole different region like in Johto? I did put off seeing much of Poni Island until the post-game, but you can still explore it before beating the league as well.

- While a bunch of Pokemon were great designs, imo, pretty much the rest were just crap. Designs this gen were completely hit and miss for me.

- And speaking of which, Incineroar is a huge missed opportunity. It's freaking ugly and Litten really should've evolved into a quadrupedal witch cat/tiger. It has the witch symbol on its forehead for crying out loud. And why does GameFreak seem to be allergic to making quadrupedal Fire starters not STAY quadrupedal?

- WAY too much gen 1. I admit, I didn't play RBY back in the day and don't have nostalgia for them as a result, but I did still have Pokemon cards and stuff back then, so it's not like I was totally unfamiliar with gen 1. Yet, I'm sick of seeing all the pandering for it.

- Too many new Pokemon are rare. The gen 1 pandering has caused this BS too. Pretty much every gen 1 Pokemon is common while a lot of the new Pokemon are rare. The new Pokemon are what's getting marketed, why the hell would you make any of them rare or SOS-only encounters?

- The trainer customizations don't seem as good as the XY ones. Version exclusive customizations suck too, imo.

The Ice Rock is in the last area of the main game. I couldn't use it if I tried...

At least it's not like B2/W2 where both the Mossy and Icy Rocks are in postgame-only areas.

I wanted to use Alolan Vulpix but again, last area of the game. Silly GF always making Ice-types lategame *grumble*

Also I agree with your sentiment on Incineroar. Torracat looks so catlike and adorable (it's my favorite part of the line), then they messed up big time with it.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to use Alolan Vulpix but again, last area of the game. Silly GF always making Ice-types lategame *grumble*

Actually, Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Sandshrew, Snorunt, Absol, and Vanillite are all available 24/7 in the grass in Tapu Village. They're just very rare.

Snorunt is 20%, Vulpix/Sandshrew and Absol are 10% each, and Vanillite is SOS in Hail.

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/alola/tapuvillage.shtml

So that means they're available right before the Ghost trial.

Unfortunately, Sneasel is indeed stuck in Mount Lanakila. :((((((((

Edited by Emerson

Actually, Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Sandshrew, Snorunt, Absol, and Vanillite are all available 24/7 in the grass in Tapu Village. They're just very rare.

Snorunt is 20%, Vulpix/Sandshrew and Absol are 10% each, and Vanillite is SOS in Hail.

And that's why we need the Pokénav feature from ORAS, because otherwise, we miss a few pokémon by accident

Yeah, this. I didn't know Vulpix were that rare though, I must've been lucky encountering so many.

Er, no, you can't. You can enter Poni Grove, but you can't go past the entrance until you become Champion. There's a guy who stops you from going further.

EDIT: Oh wait, you can enter Poni Meadow? Huh, I hadn't heard of that until now.

Uh, could you explain this please.

Are you saying you can enter the Meadow through Vast Poni Canyon?

Isn't that the only entrance? Anyways, yeah, that's what I'm saying. What's Poni Grove?

Isn't that the only entrance? Anyways, yeah, that's what I'm saying. What's Poni Grove?

Poni Grove is the small area before Poni Plains. It's on the far right of Ancient Poni Path and north of the area leading to the Tapu Shrine. If you go into Poni Grove before you beat the Champion, there's a guy that doesn't let you pass. And he's directly at the entrance, so no catching Pokemon or battling Trainers.

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/alola/ponigrove.shtml

Poni Meadow can be accessed from Poni Plains as well. In fact, that's the main entrance, which then leads to that cave that THEN leads to the inner cave where you catch Guzzlord.

Anyways, from where in Vast Poni Canyon is there access to Poni Meadow? I'd like to know, since I didn't find it my first time.

Edited by Emerson

Well, I got the game a few days ago and beat it at 10:00 last night.

Spoilering impressions jic, team was Cottonee/Stoutland/Mimikyu/Midday Lycanroc/Decidueye/Toucannon for the most part, with some contribution from a Haunter:

Good things:

• The game was genuinely challenging at times! Particularly Kukui an the final fight with Guzma.
  • I really, really enjoyed the story with actual models instead of a text dump. And it managed to make me cry at one point.
  • Lillie is officially my new favorite female Pokémon character. I liked what I inferred as her lines in the dump and I like her now.
  • I liked Hau and Gladion quite a bit, too. For... some reason.
  • Amulet Coin comes at a good time.
  • The EXP share worked very well in conjunction with Gen V EXP formula.
  • Cosmog is cute <3
  • You can remove the female protagonist's stupid hat.
  • Is it me, or do eggs pop up in the day care faster and hatch faster? It feels like they do. Does the Tauros just move faster than the bikes in previous gens?
  • Oh yeah, yay for no day care leveling.
  • Despite the complaints I'll give in a moment, I did genuinely enjoy the game.
And the bad:
  • It was really hard to get a look I like with this gen's customization options. I played as a girl, but unlike Kalos there's nothing snazzy. Everything seems so... casual. I don't want to look casual, I want to strut my stuff. Also, version locking clothes isn't cool.
  • Too much Gen I. I'm getting really tired of seeing it everywhere. Maybe it's because I have no nostalgic connections to Gen I, but whatever. But yeah, there were way too many Gen 1 things in the game. I understand we'll never get another Gen V where everything is new, but I would, at least, like it if the current Gen had a plurality
  • They did very little with Burnet. Given her position as a parental substitute to Lillie, Kukui's wife, and a researcher of something that is key to the plot, you'd think she'd do a bit more, but she doesn't.
  • Speaking of Kukui, likening everything to Pokémon moves got annoying after a while.
  • Totems weren't really as difficult as people seemed to claim. I found that Curse Gastly/Haunter was an easy way to deal with them, if a bit mean to the Gastly. It's a pretty early move, too.
  • Dark types are immune to Prankster'd statuses... why? Did they seriously need that buff? :/ I can see Prankster needing a nerf, but that wouldn't be how I'd go about it...
  • Gen VII Pokémon are rare. They were what was marketed, so don't make them a 1% SOS encounter from another rare Pokémon... you know...
  • SOS encounters in general, really. Particularly the fact they can happen at random.
  • The player getting Nebby. Given that Nebby was the key to Lillie's development, and was linked to her, it seemed like a slap to the face. Particularly since the game gives a second Cosmog later anyway.

The best.

The best reguarding Hau.

Yes. Because they erase your moves that you may want to keep.

Indeed.

They could have done better with her story development. She is raising Lillie since *spoiler*

Totems really depend of your team and the mercy of the AI.

For example, I saw a YouTuber have a very easy time with Totem Lurantis, and just kinda did it. I, however, had a terrible time, as my Fire Z-Move on my Torracat didn't kill it. Then it used Synthesis, and Castform showed up and used Sunny Day. I also noticed the YouTuber never had Lurantis use Solar Blade while the sun was up- even when they had the same Pokemon out that I had during the battle, it only used X-Scissor and Razor Leaf. I, however, was completely swept by Lurantis using Solar Blade at semi-full health, meaning no Priority Moves would be able to one or two shot it. Not that I had any... There was literally nothing I could do since it one-shot everything on my team. I lost to it about 3-4 more times before finally beating it by getting a Burn at the start, plus Trumbeak showed up instead of Castform.

So yeah, tl:dr, most Totems designed really well, and if you don't have a means of taking them down easily, you WILL get stomped. Or if the AI is dumb enough to not use it's own strategy...

The Raticate gave me trouble as it nearly Ko'ed my entire team after it was having fun Super Fanging them. The Lurantis is terrifying in a Nuzlocke run since it is very likely you will lose someone. Koed only one of my Pokes, but that's it.

Yeah, what Emerson said. I didn't have any trouble with Totem Wishiwashi, but others said that one was really hard. It depends on your team and if you're lucky enough not to have the Totem use an actual strategy.

The first couple times I tried Lurantis, I got stomped hard. But the third time, Castform didn't appear as the partner Pokemon, so there was no Sunny Day and stuff, and Lurantis went down pretty easily.

They were also possessing perfect IV's to make them more difficult.

You know what, I'm surprised at this too. lol Not even Glaceon is on her team. :P

I think I'll list my good and bad points for the game as well since I've played just about all it has to offer. Like Glac though, I still enjoyed Sun despite my complaints.

Good:

- The difficulty! A couple times early on, I felt that it was overwhelming (there's practically nothing that can counter that teacher's Magnemite or Ilima's Pokemon), but overall, this game is nicely challenging, but not insanely hard.

- A lot of awesome new Pokemon! PRIMARINA <3

- Kukui is awesome.

- Lillie is awesome.

- Heck, Hau and Gladion are pretty cool too.

- Story is good, possibly the best in the series.

- The trial system is nice and feels fresh compared to all the gyms before it.

- Pokemon Refresh is fun

- The Alola region is overall really cool!

Bad:

- The UBs were kind of a missed opportunity, imo. They seemed to be marketed as having a large role in the story, and they're an interesting idea, yet they weren't really prominent until the post-game. Only Nihilego was seen much before then. :/

- Speaking of the post-game, it was rather weak. I can't find much to do other than complete the Pokedex. The UB quest was nice (mainly because LOOKER <3), but that's really the only big thing I can find. What happened to getting to explore a bunch of new areas like in Sinnoh or Unova? Or even a whole different region like in Johto? I did put off seeing much of Poni Island until the post-game, but you can still explore it before beating the league as well.

- While a bunch of Pokemon were great designs, imo, pretty much the rest were just crap. Designs this gen were completely hit and miss for me.

- And speaking of which, Incineroar is a huge missed opportunity. It's freaking ugly and Litten really should've evolved into a quadrupedal witch cat/tiger. It has the witch symbol on its forehead for crying out loud. And why does GameFreak seem to be allergic to making quadrupedal Fire starters not STAY quadrupedal?

- WAY too much gen 1. I admit, I didn't play RBY back in the day and don't have nostalgia for them as a result, but I did still have Pokemon cards and stuff back then, so it's not like I was totally unfamiliar with gen 1. Yet, I'm sick of seeing all the pandering for it.

- Too many new Pokemon are rare. The gen 1 pandering has caused this BS too. Pretty much every gen 1 Pokemon is common while a lot of the new Pokemon are rare. The new Pokemon are what's getting marketed, why the hell would you make any of them rare or SOS-only encounters?

- The trainer customizations don't seem as good as the XY ones. Version exclusive customizations suck too, imo.

Yes. They are awesome.

Only Sabrina provided a serious challenge for a long time.

Seeing them easiest to obtain always has been the biggest annoyance of this game and being overloved.

I can't evolve/Level past 36 my Crabrawlers until then. :(

-----

Upon what Ana and Glaceon M said here are my points of the game so far...

Pros

-Ev Training is more easier than ever before since EV's double during S.O.S'd called Pokemon. With a Bracer, you can max out that EV in under 10 min.

-No longer level ups in the daycare because it would be risky to put a Pokemon with an egg move in it as they could remove it and it'll be permenently gone. This time...your egg moves can comeback from the move re-learner.

-Power items such as the Magnet and such are improved to 20% as opposed to 10%.

-Cost is now reduced on Ability Capsules.

-Unlimited Leftovers.

-The Braces give 8 times more EV as opposed to 4.

-Soul Dew nerf. Because you can now use it in the facilities which you couldn't before. It was in fact the only banned item beforehand.

-Breeding is easier now that only one of the parents has to have the Egg Move to pass it down.

-Breeding is much more faster and easier now.

-Lillie the Professor and Hau are a few of my utmost favorite characters now and definitely my utmost favorite of Gen VII.

-Lillie is awesome.

-Hau is awesome.

-The Professor is awesome.

Cons

-More nerfs were added to...

-Paralysis: Only halves speed as opposed to down to a crawl beforehand.

-Recovery items of the ever so Fresh Waters, Soda Pops and Lemonades were nerfed to force you to get the costly Super Potions to get any good recovery early-game.

-Prices are jacked up on the X items, vending machine items, revives,

-Move re-learner isn't available till endgame.

-Crabrawler can't evolve until endgame. Hurts it's usefulness since you don't want to level it past 36 until the end of the game so it can pick up both Crab Hammer and Ice Hammer.

-No Macho Brace

-Certain held items are only available in wild encounters here are the following...

Wild Only

-----

-Absorb Bulb

-Black Belt

-Black Sludge

-Cell Battery

-Grip Claw

-Lagging Tail

-Light Clay

-Luminous Moss

-Magnet

-Metal Coat

-Metal Powder

-Psychic Seed

-Quick Powder

-Razor Claw

-Razor Fang

-Shed Shell

-Snowball

-Thick Club

None available to my favorite other Pokemon since it'll be until Feb that you can get them.

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/unobtainable.shtml

-Beedrill

-Rapidash

-Hitmonchan

-Jynx

-Ampharos

-Ursaring

-Houndoom

-Sceptile

-Blazaken

-Gardevoir

-Breloom

-Ninjask

-Delcatty

-Gliscor

-Cresselia

-Musharna

-Excadrill

-Golurk

-Meloetta

-Genesect

-Braxien

-Yvetal (Meloetta, Genesect, Manaphy, and Yveltal are the only Ubers that I heavily use as commonly as OU tier pokes and lower.)

-Noivern

Edited by PuffPuff

Oh yeah a con I forgot: NOT ALL MEGA STONES ARE OBTAINABLE.

Only those in the Alola Dex and the Kanto starters (ugh) can be obtained.

This really annoys me. Gallade... Diancie... Audino... etc.

The computer, of course, is entirely free to use them. Just... seriously, why.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Oh yeah a con I forgot: NOT ALL MEGA STONES ARE OBTAINABLE.

Only those in the Alola Dex and the Kanto starters (ugh) can be obtained.

This really annoys me. Gallade... Diancie... Audino... etc.

The computer, of course, is entirely free to use them. Just... seriously, why.

Wait, you can get the Kanto Starters'?

Geez, I understand only Alola Dex, but why the Kanto Starters'...

Edited by Emerson

Because they're the fucking Kanto starters, of course, and GameFreak feels it's necessary to milk gen 1 to death. >_>

I know WHY but...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

If we had access to transfer from RBY from launch (So before Bank was out) then maybe I'd understand, but we don't.

I know WHY but...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

If we had access to transfer from RBY from launch (So before Bank was out) then maybe I'd understand, but we don't.

Because red and blue give you them

EDIT: i think you misread it. You don't get the kanto starters. You get the mega stones to mega evolve them

In fact, the only starters you can get in this game besides the gen vii ones are the gen ii and the gen v ones

Edited by Nobody

Because red and blue give you them

EDIT: i think you misread it. You don't get the kanto starters. You get the mega stones to mega evolve them

In fact, the only starters you can get in this game besides the gen vii ones are the gen ii and the gen v ones

I know we can't get the Kanto starters before bank.

I was saying that I'd make sense to have their Mega Stones if we DID get the Kanto Starters earlier via VC RBY being availible to transfer from launch, but its using Poke Transport, which is via bank, meaning excluding the other Megas has no meaning.

*Sigh*

Oh, this is just wonderful. -.-

I just find out that Eevee can't become Glacion till near the end of the game. Funny that a trainer has one at the start of Pokemon Moon. Just like Crabrawler is an Ice type...too. Silly GF indeed, Glaceon. =P

Edited by PuffPuff

*Sigh*

Oh, this is just wonderful. -.-

I just find out that Eevee can't become Glacion till near the end of the game. Funny that a trainer has one at the start of Pokemon Moon. Just like Crabrawler is an Ice type...too. Silly GF indeed, Glaceon. =P

It's not just near the end of the game, its literally 1 trainer battle away from the E4. Maaaybe 2.

I didn't find Eevee until likeI was about to fight the Elite 4.That's what I get for rushing I guess lol.

Actually you can get an Eevee egg in the Pokemon Nursery, and you can find wild Eevee in Route 4.

And you can find Alola Vulpix in Tapu Village, just before the Ghost Trial.

Actually you can get an Eevee egg in the Pokemon Nursery, and you can find wild Eevee in Route 4.

And you can find Alola Vulpix in Tapu Village, just before the Ghost Trial.

I was rushing and didn't get the egg until right before the Elite 4 which is when I decided to stall a bit. Edited by Glaceon Mage

I was rushing and din't get the egg until right before the Elite 4 which is when I decided to stall a bit.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you rush?

Pokemon is might be somewhat linear game series, but it also has a bit open world in it and it always encourages and rewards exploration, so it's not really the type of game to rush through.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you rush?

Pokemon is might be somewhat linear game series, but it also has a bit open world in it and it always encourages and rewards exploration, so it's not really the type of game to rush through.

Mainly to get the plot done and saving the exploration for post game.

Mainly to get the plot done and saving the exploration for post game.

I see, and I can certainly understand what you mean.

While I didn't rush the entire game, but I did ended up rushing it in the end mostly. Not because I disliked or was bored.

You see, I've meant to explore the desert in the third island after the Ghost Trial, since you have to clear that trial to enter the desert, but it is also after the Ghost Trial that the plot starts to pick up, so I've completely forgotten about exploring the desert and rushed through the entire fourth island.

Edited by Water Mage

What's this about being able to obtain gen 5 and gen 2 starters in this game? I haven't seen any evidence of this and they're not in the Alolan Pokedex... :/

I do frequently see requests for them on the GTS though, strangely enough. I think these people are stupid or just don't know any better because you can't get any non-gen 7 starters as far as I've seen.

What's this about being able to obtain gen 5 and gen 2 starters in this game? I haven't seen any evidence of this and they're not in the Alolan Pokedex... :/

I do frequently see requests for them on the GTS though, strangely enough. I think these people are stupid or just don't know any better because you can't get any non-gen 7 starters as far as I've seen.

QR scanner lets you catch wild Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Serperior, Emboar, and Samurott.