dark souls 3 hype

Tryhard

it's still great, yeah. I'm not going to say it's overrated because in my mind it is a meaningless word but I do think that other people compare the new souls games to it too much. For example, people are saying DS3 is "too easy (mostly referring to bosses)," yet people forget that they are both experienced at the games now and also that demon's souls and dark souls bosses are very hit and miss with only a few ones I could call difficult, not because you can't die to the others but once you have enough experience with the game and their patterns they do certainly make it easy to rush through. hopefully it's just people trolling me and they don't actually think that.

but god damn I hate demon ruins, lost izalith, crystal caves, duke's is annoying but not the worst area, new londo is just boring to me with like two enemy types, the ghosts being one of the most annoying enemies due to vertical movements through walls and the bosses I don't like (red asylum demon/centipede/bed of chaos is the easy target, but seath is pretty boring, nito's only sense of difficulty is the fact he has skeles ala capra demon otherwise he's pretty standard, four kings is good imo, pinwheel is laughable if you include him, not because he's easy as hell but because he's also boring)

and it might be sacrilege since I know other people like the area but I don't like tomb of the giants either and will always rush through it every time

but yeah it's just a video game and I don't really mind that much. people need to nitpick ds1 because it's a great game to take it apart but people do that so willingly for ds2 in my opinion.

edit: i understand there's a lot more issues with ds2 and I would call it a "worse" game if I had to.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: whatever who cares it's just a videogame lmao

didn't mean to imply that it didn't deserve praise-- I just share the same sentiments that Tryhard has

god DAMN it

sometimes i think you peeps have the glasses on for ds1 considering that after anal rodeo is ass tbh

imo of course

duke's archives is great imo and so is the catacombs =/

either way, i'm going on this game blind, but how is the combat speed compared to bloodborne? Is dodging comparable to using a shield or is it harder to pull off?

Edited by Rathichu

those are actually probably the two areas I like the most post-anor londo. don't have a problem with catacombs (still don't like tomb of the giants though), in fact it's pretty good, duke's archives is okay

i think it's just internet nerds that made me unreasonable about this

IMO enemies in DS3 can be as aggressive as bloodborne enemies, but your speed is slower like DS1. Dodging is still good but shields are also great in PvE. Just depends what you're more comfortable with, both seem fully viable.

e: fucking lol bandai it's literally the japanese release

[spoiler=some boss spoilers]

Edited by Tryhard

it's still great, yeah. I'm not going to say it's overrated because in my mind it is a meaningless word but I do think that other people compare the new souls games to it too much. For example, people are saying DS3 is "too easy (mostly referring to bosses)," yet people forget that they are both experienced at the games now and also that demon's souls and dark souls bosses are very hit and miss with only a few ones I could call difficult, not because you can't die to the others but once you have enough experience with the game and their patterns they do certainly make it easy to rush through. hopefully it's just people trolling me and they don't actually think that.

but god damn I hate demon ruins, lost izalith, crystal caves, duke's is annoying but not the worst area, new londo is just boring to me with like two enemy types, the ghosts being one of the most annoying enemies due to vertical movements through walls and the bosses I don't like (red asylum demon/centipede/bed of chaos is the easy target, but seath is pretty boring, nito's only sense of difficulty is the fact he has skeles ala capra demon otherwise he's pretty standard, four kings is good imo, pinwheel is laughable if you include him, not because he's easy as hell but because he's also boring)

and it might be sacrilege since I know other people like the area but I don't like tomb of the giants either and will always rush through it every time

but yeah it's just a video game and I don't really mind that much. people need to nitpick ds1 because it's a great game to take it apart but people do that so willingly for ds2 in my opinion.

edit: i understand there's a lot more issues with ds2 and I would call it a "worse" game if I had to.

Full disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of the series, but what I enjoyed most about DS1 were the areas, world, characters, and the minimalist approach to their storytelling. With those taken out of the equation, I more or less agree with what you said about the game. I'm probably in the minority when I say the only thing that would interest me enough to buy into another Souls game is if the world/characters were as good as DS1's.

Bosses: I thought a lot of the DS1 bosses were extremely poorly designed. I'm not particularly good at games that require fast reflexes, so DS1's slow combat was actually good for me lol. In addition to the ones you listed, I also think Quelaag, Moonlight Butterfly, Ceaseless and Sif are poorly designed. Quelaag and Sif are literally just "stand by a leg and press R1, reset when they do x thing (Quelaag aura, Sif jump)". Ceaseless, if you actually choose to fight him, just spams one attack the whole fight, and the Butterfly is basically that except it stops for longer periods of time.

Areas: I love pretty much every area in the game except for the Demon Ruins, Crystal Cave and Izalith. I think it's fairly obvious that they ran into budget issues or *some* kind of problem near the end of the game's development period, especially when you look at the DLC and figure there's no way they didn't plan for that to be in the original game. It's very disappointing that they cut corners in DR/Izalith though, because that's -ground zero- of possibly the biggest event in the storyline, and it feels completely bland and uninspired with an atrocious final boss. It should've been something really big and cool after being built up so much. I understand the need to cut corners, that's the way things are in development sometimes, but I feel like this is one of the worst possible corners that could have been cut. I would've liked to see (and would still like to see in the future) a re-released, polished version of the game with specific focus on improving those areas that really ruin the late parts of the game.

dark souls 1 is great but the last about 25% of the game is kind of bad

new londo is cool but 4kidz is an awful fight (aesthetically beautiful, mechanically bad), and tomb of the giants + lost izalith + crystal cave + kiln of the first flame are all awful areas.

Edited by Integrity

areas in ds3 are from what i've seen the best in the series imo. you get warping at the beginning which some people may dislike, I don't mind, but god most of them are great. and there's no "lost izalith" area from what I've seen

i'm gonna make the claim that I think ds3 is going to be a better ds1, not a claim i make lightly since i love ds1 and it was my first souls. i think everyone will like it if its that. but i've already seen the nitpicks so y'know y'know. I haven't played the game, but it does look really good, hopefully I won't be wrong about that.

i do kinda expect some initial balancing issues though, esme was saying sorcerer is basically hard mode and this may be the only time in the series magic actually gets buffed lol

i mean i guess aside from bloodborne arcane okay

[spoiler=best gesture ever]WkospBD.jpg

Edited by Tryhard

Sorcerer isn't that bad, it just has a rough start.

I think it was made worse by the fact that I had absolutely no idea where to find the sorcery vendor. lol

I think it was made worse by the fact that I had absolutely no idea where to find the sorcery vendor. lol

Yeah, I suppose that's always been a problem with sorceries/pyromancies especially - it's hard the first time playing to know where to get spells. Which is why I probably wouldn't have played a mage myself first time, you crazy man.

By the way, I've seen that there's apparently another NPC that's a witch. Maybe she sells sorceries too? Not much information on it right now though.

ALSO FAP IS BACK

Edited by Tryhard

By the way, I've seen that there's apparently another NPC that's a witch. Maybe she sells sorceries too? Not much information on it right now though.

ALSO FAP IS BACK

Her name is Carla. She sells INT-based hexes.

PICS PLS

Her name is Carla. She sells INT-based hexes.

PICS PLS

Oh, cool. She's basically Yuria from Demon's Souls... and there's a Yuria in this game. Alright.

http://i.imgur.com/hpr1Y89.jpg

but it's just "favor"... and it doesn't break on removal

which is weird

Edited by Tryhard

Oh, cool. She's basically Yuria from Demon's Souls... and there's a Yuria in this game. Alright.

http://i.imgur.com/hpr1Y89.jpg

but it's just "favor"... and it doesn't break on removal

which is weird

Damn, that's pretty useful. I wonder if there's a downside? There has to be.

Damn, that's pretty useful. I wonder if there's a downside? There has to be.

It's a lot weaker in the %s it gives you compared to before I just noticed. On quick glance it seems more comparable to First or Second Dragon Ring now, but doesn't break easily.

Edited by Tryhard

It's a lot weaker in the %s it gives you compared to before I just noticed. On quick glance it seems more comparable to First or Second Dragon Ring now, but doesn't break easily.

I see. Still, that's not so bad.

dark souls 1 is great but the last about 25% of the game is kind of bad

new londo is cool but 4kidz is an awful fight (aesthetically beautiful, mechanically bad), and tomb of the giants + lost izalith + crystal cave + kiln of the first flame are all awful areas.

I'm kind of torn on that fight. I really like the idea of it, but the fact that more than 4 can spawn if you kill them too slowly and that less than 4 can spawn if you kill them too quickly really bothers me. If each boss represented 25% of the total health pool and it was balanced around that then you could approach the fight differently (and it would be more fun), but the way it's set up makes it the exact same as several of the other poorly designed bosses: mash R1 so you kill them before it gets out of hand.

i do kinda expect some initial balancing issues though, esme was saying sorcerer is basically hard mode and this may be the only time in the series magic actually gets buffed lol

i mean i guess aside from bloodborne arcane okay

yesssssssssss

I'm so stoked for sorcery to be harder cause people always callling it easy makes me sad

I'm kind of torn on that fight. I really like the idea of it, but the fact that more than 4 can spawn if you kill them too slowly and that less than 4 can spawn if you kill them too quickly really bothers me. If each boss represented 25% of the total health pool and it was balanced around that then you could approach the fight differently (and it would be more fun), but the way it's set up makes it the exact same as several of the other poorly designed bosses: mash R1 so you kill them before it gets out of hand.

honestly the only problem with the fight is the fact that the 4kidz spawn on timers. they don't need to spawn strictly after you kill each (get a kid to 20% health and the next kid starts a spawn timer?) but the way it is is just a dps race, which is dumb

sorceries suck SO BAD GODDAMN

I totally regret picking this class lmao I should have just chosen Knight like everybody else

Edited by Esme

sorceries suck SO BAD GODDAMN

I totally regret picking this class lmao I should have just chosen Knight like everybody else

whats holding them back in this game

whats holding them back in this game

overall mediocre damage output

everything except for the Soul Arrow family suffers from either:

>crap damage

>crap tracking

>too much FP consumption compared to damage dealt

Also, the FP system in general is a big nerf to Sorceries in a way. You have to sacrifice some estus flask uses in order to be able to cast them consistently throughout the game. The locales in DaSIII are large, too, so if you're playing a magic-based build, then you're pretty much forced to at least carry a couple ashen flasks.

hue

There's some weapons that restore FP on kill/hit, and there's a Simple upgrade that restores FP over time like Crescent Weapons in Demon's Soul but that just means you'll be waiting around forever. And it seems like you don't get it till later too.

Edited by Tryhard