Corrin's retainers!

Kaze-Kaze

I'd imagine the rest of the royals have more retainers, in the form of servants like maids and such. It's just they each have two men-at arms retainers, and if they all had an army of Maids and Butlers, the roster would get very crowded, very quickly. Corrin gets a pass with her butler and maids joining since she's the main character.

It's kind of odd to imagine the Crown Prince of a Major Kingdom having only two retainers. I'd imagine the two we see are just his personal body-guards.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Takumi.

Hinata grew up as a friend of Takumi and served in a family of samurai so it's easy to assume how that pairing went about. The game doesn't give anything concrete as far as I've seen. Same with Oboro, she just trains to be a lancer and joins his group. All we know is she was a retainer earlier than Hinata.

No, I'm sure Hinoka picked Azama and Setsuna. I know for certain they mention her seeking out Azama in their support together. Not sure about Setsuna, though, I think it was mentioned in either Saizou x Setsuna or Hinoka x Setsuna or something.

Setsuna explains in her support with Niles that Setsuna is a royal with close connections to Hoshido. Hinoka saw her practice archery, and made her a retainer. She kept her around for her listening skills.

Who in their fucking right mind wouldnt give Azura Hoshidan retainers that constantly reported back to Yukimura and Mikoto? Like, that is the most dimwitted thing in the world, that girl not having retainers appointed by the nation that holds her hostage, and are loyal to that nation. :| Shes a hostage, but shes also a goddamn princess. Shes basically unprotected, while people like Kagero tell Corrin that Ryoma told her to look in on Corrin every chance she got.

H o l y

S h i t

Azura not having a retainer or two makes ZERO sense and really hammers home what a damned Sue Corrin really is. Especially when other people's retainers are looking after Corrin. omg

She still is a hostage, why would they give her personal servants and soldiers?

There were probably people spying on Azura, and reporting to Yukimura and Mikoto, becaus she is a prisioner. Again, why would you give servants to a prisioner.

Also, Kagero is the only non-Corrin retainer that looks after Corrin.

None of the other retainers are said to be looking specifically after him.

In Birthright the Hoshidan retainers either join Corrin with their lords, or they join Corrin's army to look for their lords.

And while in Conquest the retainers join to help Corrin, to be fair, in the beginning of the path, Corrin is sent to do battle with a very small force, so it's not really strange that his sibilings sends people they trust as reinforcements.

I just realized that the bulk of your army is the royals and their retainers.

That's probably the reason why the Royal Sibilings only have two retainers.

There are already 16 units are retainers to the Royal Sibilings, so giving them even more retainers would be a little to much.

Edited by Water Mage

That's probably the reason why the Royal Sibilings only have two retainers.

There are already 16 units are retainers to the Royal Sibilings, so giving them even more retainers would be a little to much.

If you didn't have the kids, you could've easily given each of the royals one more retainer! Thanks, kids ;/

I've pointed it out before, but Effie's supports w/ Silas say that he isn't anyone's retainer. He's pretty much just a psuedo one. Flora, Gunter, Jakob, Felicia and Kaze (if he reaches an A support with Corrin) are all said to be their retainers, though.

Edited by Matt-hue

If I was making Corrin to strictly follow the 2 retainer rule I would have Gunter as the Jeigen you get in Conquest (vs Yukimura in Birthright) and simply have Kaze and Silas because I like them for some reason. You would get both early and they would give you their own reasons for asking you to either go back to Hoshido (Kaze) or Nohr (Silas). I might write the butler/maids out even though I like them all and even marry Felicia in most of my playthroughs.

It doesn't make sense to me, either. Taking the leader's two daughters captive makes sense but the way they handled it was...Eh.

What part doesn't make sense? I doubt putting the twins to work as maids was Garon's idea. It was Gunter and Jakob who taught them in both combat and in the duties of a servant. My take is that Gunter requested that the twins be allowed to work as servants in the Citadel, perhaps out of sympathy for their predicament and to give them more freedom and purpose. The Ice tribe and the twins are insignificant to Garon in the long run, so I doubt he cared what Gunter did with them so long as they didn't escape. On Gunter's part [spoiler=Revelations]he might have been motivated by his plans of revenge against Garon. Just as he was raising Corrin to be a weapon against King Garon, he may have raised Jakob, Felicia, and Flora to be allies indebted and loyal to him once he decided the time was right to take his revenge.

What part doesn't make sense? I doubt putting the twins to work as maids was Garon's idea. It was Gunter and Jakob who taught them in both combat and in the duties of a servant. My take is that Gunter requested that the twins be allowed to work as servants in the Citadel, perhaps out of sympathy for their predicament and to give them more freedom and purpose. The Ice tribe and the twins are insignificant to Garon in the long run, so I doubt he cared what Gunter did with them so long as they didn't escape. On Gunter's part [spoiler=Revelations]he might have been motivated by his plans of revenge against Garon. Just as he was raising Corrin to be a weapon against King Garon, he may have raised Jakob, Felicia, and Flora to be allies indebted and loyal to him once he decided the time was right to take his revenge.

There a lot of things wrong so I'll try to be brief.

• If either ''Garon'' had a brain or Iago wasn't the stupid tactician that he is, chapter 7 and 8 of Conquest would have never existed.
  • Felicia literrally side with you against her OWN family and her behaviour as a prisonner is kinda... too cheerful.
  • I can understand using the sisters as maids but trainning them? Did they really don't expect the sisters to fight back? Especially since of what we understand, we (the player) don't even know how to fight correcty until chapter 2.

I really like both Felicia and Flora but the story around them is just a complete mess.

Factoring Supports and Revelations Spoilers I only ever counted Jakob and Felicia as Corrin's retainers. You get both of them in all 3 Campaigns and they are loyal to Corrin first, Nohr/Hoshido second.

I just realized that the bulk of your army is the royals and their retainers.

...This is especially obvious in Revelations when you have access to all 8 Royals + their retainers. That's 24 Characters total. You also get Mikoto's retainers on Birthright (Reina, Yukimora and Orochi) as well as fight Garon's on all three: Iago and Hans.

Canon wise Kaze. Felicia, Flora, Jakob, and especially Gunter.

Gameplay wise Silas and Kaze.

Personally I'd pick Kaze, Gunter, Silas and Flora as retainers. If we could choose anyone I would pick Saizo and Silas. One to serve from the shadows and the other to smash everyone else.

And I would pick every female in the game save for Rinkah and Rhajat to "service me" :smug:

I don't think Silas counts as a retainer, since he's not been in service to Corrin and hasn't even seen her in like a decade. He's just another knight, that happens to be childhood friends with Corrin.

Jakob, Felicia, and Flora are "the help" and not strictly meant to be warriors from a story standpoint. From the supports I've read, it seems their background is primarily domestic and not marshal in nature. The term retainer is fuzzy and an exact definition is impossible, but being the retainer to a noble usually granted a degree of nobility to it. A Majordomo or someone in charge of the household may very well be considered a retainer, but the girl emptying the chamberpots probably wasn't. I know the game may consider them retainers, but every other royal sibling has retainers that are fighters and only Corrin has maids.

Kaze can become a retainer, but isn't unless you get A with him.

Gunter is probably the best example of what a retainer would be in the Medieval sense.

Edited by Rezzy

Its really not this hard.

Gunter (And Kaze once you hit A) are your legitimate armed retainers.

The rest are the maids/butlers that were basically forced to look after you (And ended up actually liking you, but thats besides the point). I'm sure the rest of the royals also have maids and butlers that are you know, hanging back and watching the castles while they deal with daddy issues

For those saying Felicia's too happy for a war prisoner: Felicia doesn't actually know she's a prisoner IIRC.

Why? Also, I would like to know where it says that. Adding to that, does Flora know she is a prisoner? Because she seems to know something is up.

Hinata grew up as a friend of Takumi and served in a family of samurai so it's easy to assume how that pairing went about. The game doesn't give anything concrete as far as I've seen. Same with Oboro, she just trains to be a lancer and joins his group. All we know is she was a retainer earlier than Hinata.

Setsuna explains in her support with Niles that Setsuna is a royal with close connections to Hoshido. Hinoka saw her practice archery, and made her a retainer. She kept her around for her listening skills.

I see. Wow Hinoka, im side eyeing you now lmao

She still is a hostage, why would they give her personal servants and soldiers?

There were probably people spying on Azura, and reporting to Yukimura and Mikoto, becaus she is a prisioner. Again, why would you give servants to a prisioner.

This is never stated in the game. "oh but she has people spying on her", no there is not. It is very strongly implied that Azura actually makes secret trips to Valla from the lake. She does this because she knows she is completely and utterly alone. Not only that, she was treated as family. Nohr didnt want her back, and its evident she grew to love Hoshido anyway. Why the fuck would she not be given someone to tend to her?

You give servants/handmaids/retainers to a royal held at your court, hostage or no. In the hostage situation, you appoint people who are loyal to your crown. Its common sense. Especially, she is a hostage, she would have someone like that to ensure she isnt trying to escape or aid the enemy in some fashion.. Flora is the example for Corrin. She was their retainer/staff, yet she repeatedly fought and/or reported back to Garon in situations. Sure, she was forced to, but did it not make sense? No. It made perfect sense.

Another thing: If we are arguing why on earth give retainers to a hostage/prisoner, why the hell does Corrin have so many? They are basically the same as Azura.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Why? Also, I would like to know where it says that. Adding to that, does Flora know she is a prisoner? Because she seems to know something is up.

How would Flora know, but not Felicia? I'm confused. Aren't they twins, and if Flora's old enough to remember, shouldn't Felicia?

How would Flora know, but not Felicia? I'm confused. Aren't they twins, and if Flora's old enough to remember, shouldn't Felicia?

Unless Felicia is that damn oblivious and ditzy which, quite honestly, is not that far-fetched.

Flora knows. Felicia doesn't. Apparently, Flora was told the truth while Felicia was told that it was going to be a simple job.

For those saying Felicia's too happy for a war prisoner: Felicia doesn't actually know she's a prisoner IIRC.

Go read her A support with Niles.

Go read her A support with Niles.

Apparently, she "didn't think of herself" as a hostage but that is what she was and it further illustrates why I prefer Flora over Felicia.

At any rate, it would have benefited them both had the game actually had proper world-building and delved into their lives in Nohr. I would have accepted Felicia's point of view had I been given a reason and explanation for it other than Felicia apparently being okay with being a hostage, for some inexplicable reason.

Apparently, she "didn't think of herself" as a hostage but that is what she was and it further illustrates why I prefer Flora over Felicia.

At any rate, it would have benefited them both had the game actually had proper world-building and delved into their lives in Nohr. I would have accepted Felicia's point of view had I been given a reason and explanation for it other than Felicia apparently being okay with being a hostage, for some inexplicable reason.

I know this might sound silly but I don't think there not any point in the main story that we learn that the twins are hostages.

I know this might sound silly but I don't think there not any point in the main story that we learn that the twins are hostages.

I think if you attack Flora with Jakob, you might get something? But then again, I've never actually attacked Flora with Jakob so take this with a grain of salt.