Getting an unpromoted staff user to level 20?

Xenomata

Simply put, I don't know how to do it. In Awakening I could just wait until the first shop with Rescue is made available, get some gold from Golden Gaffe, and spam the everloving hell out of rescue staves until something good happens, but in Birthright/Revelations Rescue staves are severely limited in quantity, especially early on, so I just don't know what to do. I'm not even going to bother thinking about Conquest, though at least the only stafflocked user there is Elise...

So how do I do it? My one guess would be to position an unarmed but likely to survive unit (Rinkah and avatar in guard stance?) in a chokepoint and let the enemy damage them while continually healing them with the staff user (avatar optional for the case of running out of staves), but I've no idea what map even offers such a perfect luxury.

It takes a while but, yes, it mostly requires patience and healing every bit of health possible. If a unit is missing only one health, heal it. Don't let damage stack up to heal more; heal even the most minute of damage. If money is not too much of a problem, I believe Mend/Sun Festal staves give more EXP. You can also do as you stated, putting an unarmed, bulky unit in range and healing them. I don't know any good maps to do it but doing it over the course of the story isn't too difficult, actually. Typically, Elise/Sakura are one of my first units to hit LVL 20.

...if that's the case, then no wonder they're falling behind. Azura has been healing off all that "even if it's just 1 hp" damage.

LOL. That happens quite a bit to me, too. I typically have Azura hang back behind the rest of the units when I'm Heal Grinding, if I don't just leave her out of the battle all together.

Um... If you're okay with using map challenges (I guess you can do it during the story too), the map with the spikes on the forest floor is a really good one to spam heals on. Just leave an enemy alive and have one person stand on a spike tile and heal them every turn!

Um... If you're okay with using map challenges (I guess you can do it during the story too), the map with the spikes on the forest floor is a really good one to spam heals on. Just leave an enemy alive and have one person stand on a spike tile and heal them every turn!

I'm okay with it, and I've also noted that Poison Strike (and similar skills I guess) has the same effect, just requiring you to be attacked by whoever has it.

Though I do try to limit my usage of map challenges to support/weapon exp grinding and whenever they naturally appear.

Edited by Xenomata

Heal every turn, even if you're healing 1 HP. Use Azura to let you heal twice per turn. Prioritize healing higher leveled units.

It's much easier in this game than any other. I'd hate to see you try to get Mist promoted.

It's actually not that difficult since she's from a game where BEXP is a thing.

The more HP you restore, the higher overall gains of XP you get, but the rate decreases. You'd get the most XP healing little tidbits, but it takes a lot of turns. You will want higher level staves such as Mend and/or Sun Festal to heal them, as they give more of an XP boost, but if they're too expensive or short of supply, just go with the lower level staves. Either way though, it's a laborious process. But when you get Elise to Strategist (or Maid, if you're into that kind of stuff) she will benefit greatly from those extra levels.

In Conquest it's not as easy, you may have to use a DLC map. But in Revelations and Birthright you should do one of the skirmish grinding maps with a unit who can take some damage but not too much (Preferably fort Jinya since it has this nice wall for your healers to hide behind.) and then you just keep on healing that unit with cheap staves and soon enough you'll have them maxed.

I didn't see it mentioned straight out in this thread, but my understanding is that (in Birthright at least) any staffs you break doing My Castle battles are restored after the battle, but EXP stays. That's why an all hold/unarmed castle with a Dusk Dragon can be so helpful for both staff users and building supports. I think that works on Revelations as well, but I have not yet played that route so I'm not sure. In Conquest, My Castle battles do not give EXP, but should give weapon EXP, should you ever need that.

If anyone catches any errors in this, please let me know ^.^