PETITION TO RECOGNIZE ESPORTS AS LEGITIMATE SPORTS IN THE U.S. TO SOLVE DENIAL OF ENTRY

dimbenes1

I would like to see OP try playing golf and then saying it doesn't require physical exertion. I mean seriously, fighting games would never make you be in a good physical shape, but golf will and that's a big difference.

physical shape =/= physical exertion

i won't talk about golf's physical requirements since i don't know much about it and i think it and i think it's a complete joke of a sport anyway.

golf requires physical exertion, therefore it would, in time, eventually get you into physical shape unless you already are

might it be more effective to do workout programs? perhaps, but golf does take a part of physical exertion, even if it's not on the level as other sports

I don't understand what's so difficult about this

Edited by Tryhard

Last I checked Golf clubs are surprisingly heavy. Well, maybe not surprisingly, they are made of metal. There's also the fact that you are applying force to them near the axis of rotation, which requires more force to rotate than pushing near the edge. This is why doors have handles far away from hinges. It's easier to open them if you push/pull away from the axis, than if you push pull near it.

Physics of playing golf aside

As for my view on the issue- Honestly, it doesn't really affect me. Nor does it spur any sort of sympathetic emotion for me. That said, chess and esports require very different skillsets, so I'm not sure if chess being recognized immediately warrants recognizing esports.

Golf players have to walk miles for a full 18-hole run. Sure, there's golf carts, but that's a luxury for most golf players, and a lot of pros don't use them.

The most a fighting game would do is make your fingers hurt, if you're actually good, you won't suffer any of those stupid injuries. I mean, a good player wouldn't need to exert himself that much and a good player knows that a game is just a game.

Edited by Floral Pattern

The most a fighting game would do is make your fingers hurt, if you're actually good, you won't suffer any of those stupid injuries. I mean, a good player wouldn't need to exert himself that much and a good player knows that a game is just a game.

I agree at a certain point. However, some games are so insanely demanding, they force even the best of the best to quit

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/mew2king-evo-2015/

A singular golf club is not that heavy and most players hire a caddy to carry their clubs for them and travel from course to course via golf carts. Yes, the act of swinging the club involves exertion but even a child with no upper body strength can drive a ball 200y with enough refinement of technique.

SSBM is at least as demanding on the hands as golf is to the shoulders. Pro MOBA and FPS players practice as much as anyone else would work at a full-time job, if not longer. Most leagues have fitness coaches as well to prevent computer-related injuries. Like I mentioned, this is a multi million dollar international industry.

SSBM is at least as demanding on the hands as golf is to the shoulders. Pro MOBA and FPS players practice as much as anyone else would work at a full-time job, if not longer. Most leagues have fitness coaches as well to prevent computer-related injuries. Like I mentioned, this is a multi million dollar international industry.

Come on now. I don't deny that they have strenuous practice where they usually have to play the games for 8 hours or more per day, but even golf requires more physical strain in proper swing technique than gaming reflexes. I've been to a golf shooting range multiple times and it's more tiring than playing any video game for any long period of time has been. What they do both require is concentration.

That's why I can't consider it a form of "sport", which is why it's even called esport, to differentiate it. But it should still be a recognized profession.

As for my view on the issue- Honestly, it doesn't really affect me. Nor does it spur any sort of sympathetic emotion for me. That said, chess and esports require very different skillsets, so I'm not sure if chess being recognized immediately warrants recognizing esports.

Chess and poker shouldn't be considered sports either, and just because they are doesn't mean case closed. They are called sports for convenience (and in an associations opinion, evidently), not because they actually fit the definition. In that regard, you could say that esports could be included in that as well, but it still doesn't make it an actual sport. Nor should it even matter in the slightest, as being considered a sport doesn't ascend anything the same way things may or may not be considered art. Edited by Tryhard

if somebody is PHYSICALLY breaking their hamds to play a game, that is PHYSICAL exertion. it doesn't lead to getting fit, but that's irrelevant.

unless it's your job Edited by Comet

I assume poker and chess, games with even less physical exertion than pro video games, are considered sports because it makes it convenient for them to travel for tournaments without an employer to vouch for them from within the destination country. You don't have to call the players athletes as there is no athletic requirement, but the games themselves have a sport designation because the job requires travel to multiple venues and multiple countries and with the host country not necessarily being the player sponsor.

Also we have a bunch of dumb shit in the Olympics like horse dance that only the super elite can participate in yet they still get the designation. The fact is, we let things like this slide because it makes employers' lives easier when declaring the purpose of why their players must enter the country in a timely manner.

Edited by Samias

if somebody is PHYSICALLY breaking their hamds to play a game, that is PHYSICAL exertion. it doesn't lead to getting fit, but that's irrelevant.

and you might get wanker's cramp while masturbating, but i wouldn't call that physical exertion

though i am waiting for the circlejerk olympics

I assume poker and chess, games with even less physical exertion than pro video games, are considered sports because it makes it convenient for them to travel for tournaments without an employer to vouch for them from within the destination country. You don't have to call the players athletes as there is no athletic requirement, but the games themselves have a sport designation because the job requires travel to multiple venues and multiple countries and with the host country not necessarily being the player sponsor.

Also we have a bunch of dumb shit in the Olympics like horse dance that only the super elite can participate in yet they still get the designation. The fact is, we let things like this slide because it makes employers' lives easier when declaring the purpose of why their players must enter the country in a timely manner.

My point was that the ideal solution would be to have poker, chess and esports under the banner of 'competitive gaming', or some similar name that would denote its differences from traditional sports, along with a separate visa type. Ideally, of course... but if I really have to call it a sport so people can legit get into a country, then okay, but it isn't technically true along with chess and poker and probably others. Edited by Tryhard

as someone who plays a lot of golf and video games, it's easy to look at golf and just say "lol, they just swing and club and hit a ball", it really isn't the case. While I admit it's more mentally draining than physically draining (if you're in shape anyway) if you're playing at a tournament, you still need to maintain a consistently high level of balance when hitting the ball and there are other things just like walking up hills if you don't have a cart, hauling your bag around for 4+ hours, and there are other factors you have to take into account like weather (intense heat, wind and rain all make things a lot tougher).

If you wanna look at the pros, sure they have caddies to carry their bags for them, but they still do a lot of core training off the course,

Not discounting video games (or a specific one like melee) but there really isn't much of a comparison beyond the mental aspect. I'm sure most e-sports injuries are due to people not taking proper care of themselves and doing exercises to prevent said injuries too. There's no comparison to any sport on a physical level.

Edited by General Horace

I also used to golf... I actually had lessons and was at the driving range hitting 200 balls every weekend. I also did some pitch and putt though our local course wasn't too big. It is impressive how much focus and forethought goes into striking the ball but a lot of the power is in technique and not so much strength. Yeah, the pro golfers will want to work out and most of them have physical therapists but it's their job. But golfing is pretty low impact as far as "sports" go. It's a far cry from soccer or even baseball in terms of required athletics.

Video games are a different kind of stress though some pros have absolutely decimated their hands and wrists. Mew2King is probably the most infamous example of wrist pain that did spiral out of control out of neglect because no one takes these injuries seriously. It's an occupational hazard but extreme training is needed to stay on top of ever evolving metagames. Every large organization recognizes that fitness is a key part of maintaining player health though, and they can and do hire physiotherapists and employ sport medicine on their teams to keep them performing at a top level. We don't fault runners for pulling their knees or ankles even though they can become career ending injuries. It's an accepted risk of their line of work. Video games might not make you work up more than sweaty hands but tendonitis is a big deal. Note I am not saying it is remotely near the level of other sports that involve running or throwing, but this IS people's livelihoods at stake. You can get forced to retire from injuries.