New Tumblr Page......Anything I Should Know?

Truthblade

As you can see in my sig, I have a new Tumblr page I am looking foward to using. Is there anything I should know about managing my blog though?

Tumblr can be weird with imaging sizing and resolution. So basically, depending on how big your drawing is, it will shrink down so on your dashboard view, some parts might be cropped out until you click on the image to see it in its entirety.

http://unwrapping.tumblr.com/post/75873529443/dashboard-image-sizes

Here are some other things that I found helpful:

• You can't upload images that are over 10 MB
  • If you're tagging a picture or what have you, the post will only show up in the first 5 tags that are used. So, if you add a 6th tag to the post, it won't show up in that tag.
  • xkit, which is an extension for Tumblr, has some really helpful tools and apps that can improve your tumblr experience like tag viewer, reply viewer, reblog from yourself, etc.

Otherwise, have fun with it :> Getting followers isn't easy so don't be discouraged if you're not getting much because in order for more people to see your work, a lot of people have to reblog it so it gets spread around. It took me over three years or so to finally get over 1000 followers.

Edited by carefreejules

Unfollow people whose content you don't really want to look at, if you ended up following them at some point. The dash is a customizable experience--and while I hear a lot of horror stories about tumblr my own dash is actually pretty nice because I'm very selective about the content on it.

Tagging things you may want to find in the future helps. Also helps to be specific because some of my tags are very big and then i can't find anything anyway

Not sure if this has changed, but only the first five tags you add in an entry are searchable on all of Tumblr. From the 6th tag onwards it only searches your own blog, so save the most General/Important tags for the first five.