[FE4] Preventing Pairings

I unlocked the Alec/Sylvia talk in Ch. 2, and due to not having first-hand experience over reasonable scale of turn counts necessary to pair units, I ended up spending all 50 turns in the first few chapters just to make sure that I get all the pairings. Unfortunately the relatively fast Love Growth for Alec/Sylvia and the Love Point boost due to the conversation meant I had Alec/Sylvia paired close to the end of Ch.4, even when I made sure that Alec and Sylvia weren't adjacent to each other by the end of each turn.

This was a problem since I was going for the more canon pairings this particular one due to personal taste reasons, and I wanted to go for Sylvia/Claude instead. Out of desperation I attempted the following:

- I hid Alec in the base castle.
- I abused the Jealousy system to maximise Love Point gain between Sylvia and Claude.

and the act of desperation worked out, giving me the Claude/Sylvia pairing I wanted.

I have reasonable confidence that the latter works, since I subsequently went to (illegitimately) pair Seliph and Julia by abusing the Jealousy mechanic in Ch. 6 as well. That said, I'm not sure whether the former has any effect. I remember reading from one of the Wikis (In particular, THIS one) that a pair needs to be outside the base castle to receive a set amount of Love Points every turn, but I remember also reading the contrary; in fact most discussions of FE4 Love Growth (including the one of Serenes Forest) don't explicitly state that Love Points grow every turn ONLY IF both units are outside of the base castle.

So the question is, can you prevent Love Point growth by hiding one of the unit in the base castle? If not, are there any active measures to prevent units from being paired, apart from killing off the unit or having competing lovers to grow Love Points faster?

I did a substitute run recently and in that run i had Lex give Aira the brave sword via the talk event. Adter that, Lex was never seen outside the castle. Later on, in chapter 5, nearing the end of it i find out that Lex and Aira are lovers. So, no. You can't. Their love grows slowly even tho one is in the castle and the other one is outside all the time.

And then Aira needed to be slaughtered by Reptor

Edited by Jose_Darkeye

I did a substitute run recently and in that run i had Lex give Aira the brave sword via the talk event. Adter that, Lex was never seen outside the castle. Later on, in chapter 5, nearing the end of it i find out that Lex and Aira are lovers. So, no. You can't. Their love grows slowly even tho one is in the castle and the other one is outside all the time.

And then Aira needed to be slaughtered by Reptor

Yeah, it won't work. I was trying to do a run with Sharlow and Laylea and Sylvia kept pairing with Midayle during Ch5 even though he was warehoused in the home castle. Had to let Sylvia get Meteor'd to get my subs.

I don't get it. Does Ayra gain love points from every male if she is out and they are all in the castle?

This game also hinged on your characters getting married in order to get their kids for second gen so it's not just Ayra. All females and males gain automatic love points with someone. The only difference is who gets the love points the fastest. For example, Finn leaves in after chap 3 and Briggid I believe joins in that chapter so Finn and Briggid can easily marry due to having high love points already at base even if one is kept away by the castle.

Edited by Raguna