Sun and Moon Competitive Discussion

ZoesMad

I would like to ask you guys advice on something.

You see, after Poke Bank becomes available to Sun and Moon, I was thinking of running a mono-grass team. And when I was picking the Pokemon for the team, I ran into something that posed an interesting question:

Could Bellossom actually be viable this time around, due to getting Quiver Dance?

Here's the idea I had for a Bellossom which I'm planning to use for Doubles:

Bellossom @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Healer

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Giga Drain

- Quiver Dance

- Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam

- Moonlight/Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb/Leaf Storm

The idea is to take advantage of the many weaknesses of the Grass type with the Weakness Policy, and Bellossom is actually bulky enough to take a super-effective hit and live and then use Giga Drain to recover health.

However I am problems deciding the last move.

Should I keep recovering HP with Moonlight?

Could I use Sleep Powder to have free turns to use Quiver Damce?

Would Sludge Bomb be useful for coverage?

Or do I take advantage of the various SpA boosts to use Leaf Storm without fearing the SpA drop?

I would really like your guys's opinons on this, and if you think that Bellossom is actually viable or not.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bellosom's base speed is too low- It's still out sped by positive base 100s at +1.

In the context of Grass mono type, it would only have a coverage advantage over say, a similar CM virizion.

Also the lack of SpA EVs would hurt it's use outside of weakness policy.

Bellosom's base speed is too low- It's still out sped by positive base 100s at +1.

In the context of Grass mono type, it would only have a coverage advantage over say, a similar CM virizion.

Also the lack of SpA EVs would hurt it's use outside of weakness policy.

It it's true that Bellossom's Speed is not easily fixable, but I still I should put some effort into it.

I mean, Bellossom's HP, Defense and Special Defense are 75/95/105, which makes it rather bulky. Perhaps if use Sleep Powder as the fourth move, I could set up more than one Quiver Dance. Besides I plan on using Tapu Bulu on the team, so it should make Bellossom even bulkier.

You know, trying to build a mono Grass team made me realize how interesting the Grass type is.

I mean, it has many weaknesses, and most of them are common, such as Fire, Flying and Ice. And yet it also resists Water, Ground and Electric, which are all extremely common attacking types.

I'm actually having a lot of fun trying to build a good mono Grass team.

I might end up not making it in the end, but it's certainly giving me a new appreciation for the Grass type, a type that I already liked, and that a lot of people dismiss as a weak type.

wqjZge.jpg
Upon this ain't a bad idea. It one shotted Amoogus and Metals after +4 Fire Blasts. Nasty Plot needed for it's only 80 base Sp.Attk. Outrage is still pretty powerful even with no EV's invested! Fake Out to hit disadvantageous pokes allowing others to finish them off at the battle royal.
WOW0JT.jpg
She has been a bad girl and stolen Life Orbs, a Focus Sash from them and USED them against them! Pollen Puff for assist recovery. Quiver for the attacks.
zfJozE.jpg
It is serving me well as it is one shotting everything that is weak to it for it's very high Sp.Attk and Screens to have it in alot longer. Just doing this to get it a Zoom Lens to make it even better. Zap Cannon is serving thee well.
zFntR4.jpg
When it burned attackers making them do mosquito bite dmg to it. One shotted one of them with a timed Mirror Coat. Leech Life for longevity with Big Root for it's held item.
077LNl.jpg
She's a really Sp.Shield bastard. Only Poison and Steel will do her in. Aqua Ring for increased recovery. Wonder Room to provide her more Physical def and to weaken everyone else. Scald is of course common sense.
xsIBWa.jpg
KeKPBo.jpg
SmQjc7.jpg
JlJifp.jpg
5ZOdcb.jpg
LiPfhw.jpg
RiTiKS.jpg
kSzKHa.jpg
cAHiJL.jpg
dVz68M.jpg
PHMBmX.jpg

5 of the 18 contenders thus far.
Edited by PuffPuff

Turtonator @ Assault Vest

EVs: 252 Sp. Def, 252 HP

Calm

-Charge Beam

-Draco Meteor

-Flamethrower/Overheat

-Flash Cannon/Shell Trap

Is this a good set-up?

The AV already bulks up Turtonator's base SpD enough to rival his Def, so drop the SpD EVs and pump them into SpA. Besides that, maybe swap Charge Beam for Dragon Tail, just for a little bit of control. Unfortunately, Turtonator lacks good coverage, so Focus Blast is about everything else he has, and it only gives him 1 more type to cover in Rock since Steel and Ice are already covered by Fire.

Speaking of Turtonator, I've been having a bit of success with this team. I don't dabble much in OU, but I decided to go for it and made this after a few hours. I'd love to tweak it and make it better, so any idea or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Trop Kick
- Play Rough
- Rapid Spin
Turtonator @ Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
Necrozma @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Morning Sun
- Thunder Wave
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Note that this is not Bank OU, so no Ice Punch for Metagross. I'll probably be running that over Meteor Mash once Bank is out.

I'm also kinda curious if anyone else has experimented with bulky Tsareena. Dhelmise is a better Spinner thanks to Anchor Shot and being a Spinblocker, but the Defog is pretty abundant right now, and that Attack drop from Trop Kick is pretty nice.

Where are the people talking about the bans?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-sm-ou-suspect-process-round-1-digital-love-suspect-tours-details-in-post-3.3590692/

Speaking of Turtonator, I've been having a bit of success with this team. I don't dabble much in OU, but I decided to go for it and made this after a few hours. I'd love to tweak it and make it better, so any idea or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Trop Kick
- Play Rough
- Rapid Spin
Turtonator @ Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
Necrozma @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Morning Sun
- Thunder Wave
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Note that this is not Bank OU, so no Ice Punch for Metagross. I'll probably be running that over Meteor Mash once Bank is out.

I'm also kinda curious if anyone else has experimented with bulky Tsareena. Dhelmise is a better Spinner thanks to Anchor Shot and being a Spinblocker, but the Defog is pretty abundant right now, and that Attack drop from Trop Kick is pretty nice.

Tsareena is actually pretty decent. Mind you, I prefer to use her in UU where the power levels aren't so insane but yeah she's actually solid. Are those EV's for anything specific out of curiosity? I'd also maybe consider U-Turn over Play Rough since HJK nukes the same things pretty much.

Maybe consider changing out Tapu Fini for something else as well? Maybe something like AV Magearna or ScarfChomp to help with Tapu Lele/Koko, which you look a lil bit weak to. I'd also run Pump>Scald on Primarina, but I understand not wanting to miss lol. Props for Turtonator and Primarina though, Primarina is lowkey amazing.

Primarina is pretty cool yeah. It just happen to share typing with Tapu Fini and if theres a sentence that can describe SM OU the most its really "Landorus Therian, Tapu Fini, Mega, and 3 filler"

Edited by JSND

After reading the thread Deltre linked to, I have no clue why Genesect wasn't just quickbanned...

It's a mystery lol. I guess people were so sick of ORAS Stall that they went hard in the other direction for this game maybe? Even though Gene is ass versus stall haha.

Speaking of which, good god the OU Ladder is unplayable or I'm the unluckiest man alive, because I kid you not, the last time I played OU I got Sableye Stall 5 times in a row. I want to go for Reqs because people are seriously thinking about not banning this but ffs one man can only take so much.

Primarina is pretty cool yeah. It just happen to share typing with Tapu Fini and if theres a sentence that can describe SM OU the most its really "Landorus Therian, Tapu Fini, Mega, and 3 filler"

It's funny, because I literally made a team with Lando/Heatran/MSaur/AshGren/Lele/Magearna in about 5 minutes and it's honestly one of the more consistent teams I have despite having no thought put behind it whatsoever. It's funny until you realize that teambuilding in OU is dead atm, then it just gets sad :(

Someone on gamefaqs made a pretty good prediction for that

Gene and Lando is probably unbanned because one of the OU staff had a boner for using them. Seeing ABR's post for Genesect unban reasoning pretty much convinced me its true lol

And yeah that team is literally 4 godlike pivot + Scarf Lele + Ash Gren. I can imagine just how easy it is to come up for that. I feel like with Z Move around, theres so much inconsistency between games nowadays that the best direction for team buildiing ended up being just use good stuff

It's a mystery lol. I guess people were so sick of ORAS Stall that they went hard in the other direction for this game maybe? Even though Gene is ass versus stall haha.

Speaking of which, good god the OU Ladder is unplayable or I'm the unluckiest man alive, because I kid you not, the last time I played OU I got Sableye Stall 5 times in a row. I want to go for Reqs because people are seriously thinking about not banning this but ffs one man can only take so much.

It's funny, because I literally made a team with Lando/Heatran/MSaur/AshGren/Lele/Magearna in about 5 minutes and it's honestly one of the more consistent teams I have despite having no thought put behind it whatsoever. It's funny until you realize that teambuilding in OU is dead atm, then it just gets sad :(

I blame the bug for OU teambuilding being dead - at this point it's a matter of "either you get your face bashed in by Genesect, or you get your shit wrecked by other things".

Drampa @ Quick Claw/Life Orb/Leftovers

Ability: Berserk

EV: 252 HP/128 Def/128Sp. Def

Calm Nature

- Roost

- Thunderbolt/Thunder

- Hyper Voice/Glare

- Dragon Pulse

Prioritized bulk over offense because it'll make it easier to continuously activate Berserk which will boost its Special Attack enough anyway. Quick Claw is there to help fix its terrible speed. Life Orb helps with damage and can maybe help trigger Berserk more often. Leftovers for additional recovery (which it needs because it will go last 99% of the time).

Should I add Reflect/Light Screen?

Calm Nature

- Roost

- Thunderbolt/Thunder

- Hyper Voice/Glare

- Dragon Pulse

Prioritized bulk over offense because it'll make it easier to continuously activate Berserk which will boost its Special Attack enough anyway. Quick Claw is there to help fix its terrible speed. Life Orb helps with damage and can maybe help trigger Berserk more often. Leftovers for additional recovery (which it needs because it will go last 99% of the time).

I would definitely roll with leftovers just for the consistency. I wouldn't do screens personally, but maybe think about Calm Mind somewhere on there. It's kind of like Light Screen but you get the Sp.Atk boost too, and since it's harder for them to take you out after a Calm Mind you can continually get more Berserk boosts and Calm Mind boosts until you steamroll. Drampa is pretty beefy too if I'm not mistaken, so even 1 CM boost is kind of a problem to deal with if you aren't ready.

Drampa is pretty beefy too if I'm not mistaken, so even 1 CM boost is kind of a problem to deal with if you aren't ready.

78/85/91, so decent. With that EV spread it should be pretty dang bulky.

Also... someone remind me how Mantine is in OU. Pelipper and Porygon-Z I get. One has Drizzle and a small SpA buff, and the other has Z-Conversion.

20 Base HP is a great buff, but did it really get that good?

EDIT: Oh wait, it gets Roost now? Niiiice. That explains a bit.

Edited by Emerson

Calm Nature

- Roost

- Thunderbolt/Thunder

- Hyper Voice/Glare

- Dragon Pulse

I think accuracy > power with this set, so definately take thunderbolt (it is a tanky set and Berserk will help the power issue)... Although, what exactly does electric cover? I feel like a better set might use a fire move. In fact it is only resisted by carbink/diance with fire. Where as the thunderbolt get up is resisted by 12 pokemon, and has no effect on one (shedinja). Also, I don't think glare might be that useful really. It won't net you going first most of the time, since it is so slow (though it might on just Alola pokedex pokemon).

http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage

Edited by SlayerX

*sees Nobody's avatar*

I can't help but laugh at that avatar - Gale Wings pretty much had it coming.

It honestly made me sad. Tflame wouldn't be as good this gen anyway. Now they turned it into PU trash.

IMHO it wasn't even bad last gen.

Edited by Nobody

It honestly made me sad. Tflame wouldn't be as good this gen anyway. Now they turned it into PU trash.

IMHO it wasn't even bad last gen.

They shoulda made it like Defeatist. Only works above 50%; it wouldn't be quite as good but it would be pretty balanced imo and would at least be usable. Right now idk if its even worth it in RU.

Speaking of which, RU is now a thing, and its pretty hilarious. Whacky stuff includes but is not limited to Alakazam, Nidoking/Queen, Cloyster, Suicune, Mienshao, and god damned Lucario.

Edited by Deltre