Valiant's Sprite Gallery!UPDATE!

Marz

Making a single thread is probably for the best :v

The hair colors are messed up as what should be the lightest shade is the darkest. It works for the bangs, but not for the top nor back of the head (nor, even, for the left side of the canvas / their right).

The near shoulder looks still too much like the skin that it used to be (unless it's supposed to be some skin tight cloth or his skin is gray, though his face doesn't show this trait very well at all), I would recommend copying some cloth folds onto it from elsewhere or freehanding some of your own.

The mark over the eye I can't tell what it is supposed to be-- if it is a scar then it is too absent in certain places, if it is a henna it doesn't read well as one due to its faintness (which may have been the point, though, so this could be ignored).

Regading the actual color choice, the inside color of the hair is actually darker than the outline, as is the darkest color on the exposed arm and the reds on that same spot. This creates a conflict with the outline itself, as the outline is supposed to be the "black" color for the character design-- everything should be brighter than it, unless to portray some extraordinary darkness (e.g. a black hole maybe).

(It also looks really heavily like Raven because of how little facial change there was, but the components do work together)

Posted · Hidden by ghast, September 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by ghast, September 28, 2016 - No reason given

K so here are my sprites,also I have 2 other ones but I decided to forget about them and make a general sprite gallery.

post-26155-0-36834700-1475002885.png

post-26155-0-45509600-1475002889.png

post-26155-0-86754500-1475002895_thumb.png

The first and last are simple enough that there isn't much wrong with them. I would recommend however you either recolor the cape or the armor on the last guy to distinguish them, unless that's what you're going for.

The one in the middle has all kinds of problems however.

I don't know how you got her hair to look like it does, but it doesn't work. It looks like you took the generic village girl and tried to paint over her bangs, and you've taken away the dimension of it. It looks really flat.

The contrast is all over the place, but this is easy to fix. Until you have a better understanding of what colors work and don't, you should copy color schemes from existing characters, and only make minor adjustments to get the color you want.

The trim is a bit tricky however. I assume you used a flat yellow because you didn't want to go over the color limit, but if you look closely at other portraits, you'll notice that their armor trim is almost always the same color as their skin. Take another look at some examples and try to reapply the technique.

Her headpiece is probably the weirdest part though. There's no outline or shading separating it from the hair, and it's not angled at all, so it doesn't look like it's really there. No other GBA FE character has a headpiece that goes straight over their hair, I assume because the devs couldn't find a way to make it look good. I would rework it entirely while using another character as a reference.

It looks like you tried to get a bit too fancy for a beginner. Here's a (very) simple interpretation of what I think you were going for. Notice how the individual colors blend into each other very smoothly. This makes it much easier on the eyes.

0597eecc60c73d0d581b28e20f2dd867.png

Edited by Zelkami