The Inevitable Sinnoh Remakes: What changes would you make?

Anacybele

Since I've been playing through Diamond as a hype run for the inevitable DP remakes, I thought I'd make this thread. I'm curious about what others think ought to be improved or changed in them!

Sinnoh remakes surely will be a thing since every gen before it has been remade now, and a Team Galactic 3DS theme was released alongside a Team Rocket one, and no other evil team has gotten a 3DS theme yet. And this one is a bit of a stretch, but Sun and Moon have two notable locations based on areas called Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head Volcano.

I had ideas for names for the two games, but I don't remember what they are anymore. xP I believe one of them was Shining Pearl, but I can't seem to think of what the Diamond one I had in mind was. Sparkling Diamond, maybe? It would fit, I guess. :P

Anyway, I think these should be changed or added (or kept the same):

- Add online to the Underground so we can visit secret bases from players around the world, like we could in Hoenn. If it wasn't possible back when gen 4 was made, it certainly should be now. This would also make getting Spiritomb easier since we would now be able to talk to people from around the world, not just those in the same room.

- And speaking of secret bases, get rid of the damn rocks in them please... That was pretty dumb, honestly.

- Lower the wait time for honey trees to at least a couple hours to maybe four hours I think half a day to a full day is kind of a stretch, especially since Pokemon like Munchlax and female Combee are rare encounters as is.

- And speaking of rare encounters, fix Feebas's encounter rate too, like it was in Hoenn.

- Probably not going to happen, but keep the Battle Frontier from Platinum...

- Also probably won't happen, but make the Exp. Share a late-ish game item so things aren't extremely easy.

- Keep Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus's respective event locations and items. I think this is a much more exciting way to get mythical Pokemon/event Pokemon than just being handed them through WiFi. Give me Oak's Letter and the Azure Flute and stuff and let me discover these guys on my own! Besides, if you wipe these items and stuff away, you basically wipe Newmoon Island, the Hall of Origin, and the meadow north of the league all off the map and that doesn't really make sense. xP

- Use Platinum's regional Pokedex, it's much improved. DP's original one lacks Fire types and stuff.

- Also use Platinum's trainer designs and updated locations and gyms too. I liked the additional snowy patches in places. It showed how colder Sinnoh is meant to be compared to other regions (makes it being my favorite region ironic lol since I hate the cold).

- Add Super Training and stuff!

- Use Platinum's difficulty. I thought it was perfect. It was challenging, but not overwhelming at times like the original DP. I remember complaints about DP's difficulty, but not Platinum's, so there should be no problem.

- Lastly, keep Platinum's Distortion World stuff too, but make it a post-game plot a la the Delta Episode in ORAS. You can still battle Cyrus and catch Dialga/Palkia and all at Spear Pillar, but then after the league, it's discovered that Cyrus isn't giving up so easily: he had an extra red chain just in case, and found the legendary you did NOT catch. It forces the one you DID catch to leave your party/PC and join it, and Giratina appears and the sequence happens as it does in Platinum, maybe with some extra tidbits. However, the legendary you did not catch would remain uncatchable in your game, to keep to the version exclusive legendary thing.

- KEEP LOOKER! I mean, he's popular! And I love this guy. :D

And this is really all I can come up with.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use Platinum's Pokédex instead of DP's, since DP's sucked and didn't make the most sense at times.

Don't make the same mistake as in ORAS and keep the Sinnoh frontier darn it.

Tbh just keep everything from Platinum.

Keep as much from Platinum as possible while still making two different versions.

Expand the pokedex a bit from Platinum- ORAS shows that a few additions can go a long way.

Further flesh out Cyrus and his motivations and give the admins more personality than "girl who loves Cyrus, analytical girl, pretty boy, and scientist dude".

Have a Delta-Episode like chapter involving Giratina and Darkrai.

Be on a better engine than the 4th gen one.

That's about it.

Definitely keep the speed Platinum introduced. I find battles in Gen 4 insufferable at times due to their pacing.

Possibly expand on the Distortion World. I thought it was pretty cool but it's only there for a little bit. This is a really big stretch but maybe they could introduce a switching mechanic between the real world and Distortion World, to access areas where you normally couldn't.

Keep the enhancements+plot revamp from Platinum version like HGSS did with Crystal

Flesh out Cyrus and the Team Galactic Admins(they're my favorites sooo)

Bring back Challenge mode, but without the unlock requirements

Revamp Amity Square to include more Pokemon than just the starters and a select few

Bring the Battle Maison back but put it where the GTS was(an excuse to see Nita again)

Keep the Battle Frontier

Make fossils easier to find in the Underground, speaking of the Underground, have that work over wifi too

Some weird post game episode involving Darkrai and Cresselia

Give Cheryl, Gardenia, Candice, Mars and Jupiter jiggle physics

Even if we get DP remakes, a lot of what I have might not even make the cut. But eyyyyyyyyyyyy

Post game episode needs to involve Arceus imo.

Trigger it by catching all three dragons and all three pixies. Then Cynthia introduces the myth of Arceus to you and you try to catch space goat. The myth involves taking all six to Spear Pillar and playing the Azure Flute.

Post game episode needs to involve Arceus imo.

Trigger it by catching all three dragons and all three pixies. Then Cynthia introduces the myth of Arceus to you and you try to catch space goat. The myth involves taking all six to Spear Pillar and playing the Azure Flute.

Sounds good yeah.

Also I agree with keeping the speed up, I like Gen 4, but I did find it preeeeeeetty slow at times.

Alternatively, instead of having one post-game episode focusing on one or two legendaries, how about having post-game sidequests for all the event pokemon?

Most of D/P/PL's issues are solved just by putting it in the current engine.

Oh one other thing I thought of:

Don't lower the games' difficulty for the standard. DP were two of the more pleasantly challenging games in the series imo and I'd hate to see them dumbed down. Instead, include an Easy mode (ala BW2 without the unlock requisites) and possibly a challenge mode above the original set's difficulty.

New Forms for Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, the Lake Trio, Arceus, Darkrai and Cresselia.

Looker Centric aftergame that references XY's aftergame.

Whilst Masuda's said that Mega Evolution's likely to take a back seat until they can find a reason to use it, I feel that Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Rampardos, Bastiodon, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Weavile, Roserade, Floatzel, Electivire, Magmortar, Drifblim, Staraptor, Bronzong, Hippowdon and Vespiquen could do with them (at least).

If not, then at least perhaps some unique Z-Crystals.

Add a few Gen 5 Pokémon like Litwick, Gothita, Zorua and Blitzle to the Pokédex as super rare. Megas for them would also be nice.

Ability to mine Mega Stones and Z-Crystals in the Underground is a no-brainer.

A series first I'd like to see is Multi-Triple battles. Where two teams of three battle it out in a standard Triple battle format after deciding on positions at the connection menu.

Everyone's suggesting a bonus like the Delta Episode to feature Giratina and/or Darkrai. I propose separate aftergame stories, that may converge for a third part. Non-mandatory ones though. Also, a bonus event regarding Arceus should take place after this too.

Ability to connect friend bases in the Underground together if they're close enough.

That's about I'll I can think of.

This is not "inevitable" by any means, but gen 4 is probably the one most in need of a remake from the start. So if it happens:

-Speed it up. Battles, snow walking, and anywhere else the game may be sluggish.

-Change the normal trainer battle music so it doesn't feel extremely repetitive.

-Reduce the need for HMs and just get rid of Defog.

-Keep Platinum improvements and additions.

-While I definitely want to see the Battle Frontier return, I'd also be a little mad if they brought this one back after not bringing back Hoenn's. But bring it back anyway.

The first three are the things that really made the game a pain to play for me, so with those fixed and general polish and improvements that would come with a remake I'm sure it will be good. Also, if these happen at all, it's not likely to happen on the 3DS; the trend with remakes so far has been one per console (FR/LG on GBA, HG/SS on DS, OR/AS on 3DS).

I kinda feel my thoughts on the matter boil down to one point: just remake Platinum instead.

This is the only true answer.

But anyway, the only thing i would like them to do in a remake is to speed-up the game and re-add the battle frontier from platinum.

spice up the battle resort and stuff even more. it's already awesome, but it can be even more awesome.

fix the honey trees. they are absurd.

make riolu's egg hatch faster.

Balancing: make a seed bomb tutor available for torterra. shieldon and bastiodon could use some sort of buff to make them more usable. give cherubi a reason to exist. luxray could use a bit more of anything too, and luxray, noctown, fineon, etc...

for the love of god, keep the 1% chance of finding a golbat in the lower floor of the cave in the route above the the city with the GTS.

give candice a mamoswine.

give team galactic a better motive for being at iron island.

expand on the lore and the pokemon statue in eterna city.

Edited by Comet

This is not "inevitable" by any means, but gen 4 is probably the one most in need of a remake from the start. So if it happens:

I'm pretty sure it IS inevitable and WILL happen. Why would all of the previous gens get remade, but not this one? That would be a real slap in the face to gen 4 fans.

I agree it most likely won't happen on the 3DS though. Switch it over to the next console instead. See what I did there? lol

Edited by Anacybele

I'm pretty sure it IS inevitable and WILL happen. Why would all of the previous gens get remade, but not this one? That would be a real slap in the face to gen 4 fans.

I agree it most likely won't happen on the 3DS though. Switch it over to the next console instead. See what I did there? lol

And what of Gen V? I suppose it should be remade as well-along with Gen VI, and even, VII. Why would all of the other generations be remade, but not the rest? This is kinda why I wish they wouldn't remake so many...it just makes others want the rest remade. There needs to be a point where it has to stop.

Edited by Dai

What Dai said. They're not going to remake every gen. I honestly wasn't even expecting gen 3 remakes, but that's a good stopping point because gen 4 is still reasonably accessible and playable today. It was on DS, so it already utilizes the two screen system, and it split attacks into physical or special individually instead of being type-based, which was a very important meta game contribution. What it would get most out of remakes would be fixing problematic parts of the games instead of bringing it up to speed with changes in the series, which the remakes of the previous gens did.

What Dai said. They're not going to remake every gen. I honestly wasn't even expecting gen 3 remakes, but that's a good stopping point because gen 4 is still reasonably accessible and playable today. It was on DS, so it already utilizes the two screen system, and it split attacks into physical or special individually instead of being type-based, which was a very important meta game contribution. What it would get most out of remakes would be fixing problematic parts of the games instead of bringing it up to speed with changes in the series, which the remakes of the previous gens did.

They will remake every gen though. Because every gen eventually becomes outdated and no longer accessible etc etc. Right now, yes, DP are still playable/accessible, but the online is no longer supported, and soon enough, the Switch will be out and the 3DS and Wii U will both be dead. I doubt the Switch will have backwards compatibility with either because it doesn't use discs like the Wii U and it doesn't have two screens like the 3DS.

Edited by Anacybele

They will remake every gen though. Because every gen eventually becomes outdated and no longer accessible etc etc. Right now, yes, DP are still playable/accessible, but the online is no longer supported, and soon enough, the Switch will be out and the 3DS and Wii U will both be dead. I doubt the Switch will have backwards compatibility with either because it doesn't use discs like the Wii U and it doesn't have two screens like the 3DS.

It's rather naive to say that support for the 3DS will drop as soon as the Switch comes out, especially when Sun & Moon will likely boost sales for it in Q4 this year.

It's rather naive to say that support for the 3DS will drop as soon as the Switch comes out, especially when Sun & Moon will likely boost sales for it in Q4 this year.

Not really. The Switch has portability, meaning many people will switch (lol) to that once it comes out for their handheld gaming needs since the newest games will be for it and like I said, it likely won't have backwards compatibility.

It was confirmed that Pokemon games are in development for it as well.

Edited by Anacybele

It was confirmed that Pokemon games are in development for it as well.

Just like there were Pokemon games for the N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U?

Just like there were Pokemon games for the N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U?

They had single games though. Not sets. The info specifically said "games" with an S, and considering the portability of the Switch and how new gen 7 is, there's a good chance that the upcoming Switch Pokemon games are in fact Sinnoh remakes. I'm not saying it's definite, only that there's a good chance.

Oh, and not to mention that gen 4 were the first of several main Pokemon games made for the DS. To also be the first made for the Switch would be a nice nod.

Edited by Anacybele

The GCN and N64 had multiple games. I rather enjoyed Hey You, Pikachu! and the two Stadium games on N64. On the GCN, the Colosseum games were hard, but were the closest we'd ever had to a full Pokemon adventure on consoles. It wasn't until the Wii and Wii U where the company responsible for the console spinoffs started pouring their effort into Trozei/Shuffle instead. Plus portables started offering a "good enough" amount of power to deliver a core battling experience and innovative spinoffs, while HD graphics became more and more expensive and home consoles became less popular in Japan.

It seems the Pokemon company is content just releasing multitudes of spinoffs to consoles because they tend to license out the material since the Pokemon core games have become so large. Where time used to exist to work on Stadium, now all the spinoffs are handled by outside companies and Gamefreak focuses any time on the side to work on smaller projects like Drill Dozer, Harmoknight, Pocket Card Jockey or Tembo the Badass Elephant. Gamefreak is basically set up into 3 teams at any given time, it seems: One team for the "core" game (with overlapping dev schedules as well as they tend to do pre-dev for the next pair of games while the current game is in development), one team for remakes, and one team for something unrelated to Pokemon. Once Sun and Moon arrive, we'll see if the team responsible for remakes is working on something based on the number of hints NPCs tend to drop about the next game in the series. It will probably continue to be on the 3DS as Gamefreak has never been the first company to hop on a new system. Black and White 2 came out after the 3DS was released with some 3DS enhanced features, but neglected to be exclusive to the 3DS to not lock out the younger audience that doesn't upgrade as fast.

My bets on the first Pokemon game on the Switch will be a complete version of Pokken with all the arcade extras that have been coming out. Nothing has been said about updates to the Wii U version, after all, but Pokken managed to pull better numbers than Street Fighter V on initial release.