Which Fire Emblem should I move to after playing the newest ones?

Doku89

Hello all, first time poster, been lurking around for a while same ole thing...

I got into the Fire Emblem series sometime in march of last year and i have been rather hooked on it ever since. I started with Awakening and i had a great time with it (started on classic/hard, was a good time) loved me some Donnel, Henry, Gaius, and Owain. and all the grinding. Love me some grinding.

After that i played Sacred stones ( i have a friend who REALLY likes Sacred stones) loved the trainees L'Arachel and Tana, found the story to be less full of holes but found it to be easy (though, i cant remember if i played it on normal or Hard)

Moved to Fire Emblem Fates didnt really care for the story much, but loved the banter between characters, the challenge of Conquest classic/hard and Revelations classic/lunatic, and Effie in general (pun intended) as well as a grounded Hinoka (The Spearmaster class with a Guard Naginata was a bit broken tho)

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. There are a lot of opinions out there, and I'm asking for more but maybe ill get somewhere. For me BIrthrights story was so bad, i almost got burnt out on the series all together but i find that i still love this type of game and would like to continue.

So, which one should I at least start with, something with a decent plot with either an option for difficulty or with difficulty baked in with at least a few eccentric and/or trainee-like characters?

Considering I've only played 3 out of 14? my eyes are spinning at reading though each game.

Hello! I think you should try Fire Emblem 7 a.k.a "Blazing Sword" I was in the exact same situation as you as Fates introduced me to FE and I LOVED IT, then I got hooked on Awakening and I loved that too, then I was bored and decided to delve into the GBA games and wow were they fun, FE7 has a lovely cast of characters and an enjoyable story Imo and is fairly easy (If you want a challenge then do Hector Hard Mode...boy is that tough)

I'd recommend Thracia 776 or Radiant Dawn. Both are fairly challenging (Thracia especially if you're going in blind).

RD has three tiers of classes, and Thracia has scrolls that boost growths, so they're both good games for grinding weaklings into badasses.

You find story important, so out goes Archanea (the story is pretty minimal). You've got a handle on difficulty, so you'll probably find a vanilla run of FE7 really boring, unless you start on HHM or something (requires an external save file). As strange as this will sound, I'd start with Path of Radiance, then move to Radiant Dawn. While Radiant Dawn is your end goal, it helps to have Path of Radiance's story behind it, and it introduces you to the many faces of Tellius.

I also recommend Tellius (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) and maybe give Elibe (Binding Blade and the Blazing Sword. Play the latter first for maximum story output and Hector mode is awesome) a shot. After that, and if you can deal with the older style graphics and gameplay, hit up Jugdral. (Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776)

How about trying FE7, AKA the Blazing Sword? It was the first FE game to be localized, and is pretty good.

Another FE you could try is FE4, Genealogy of the Holy War. It's the most different one in the series, and is split into two generations. I found it's story to be pretty damn good, and considering you like grinding, I assume you won't be bothered by the big maps in each chapter of this game. Thracia 776 AKA FE5, which is also a 'midquel' of FE4 (but you don't need much knowledge from FE4 to understand FE5). It's pretty hard if you go into it blind, and thus a challenging game.

There are also the four games of the Archanea series, not counting Awakening since you already played it, and their good too. Do remember, FE11 AKA Shadow Dragon is the remake of the first game, and so is the Book 1 of FE3 AKA Mystery of the Emblem. FE12 is a remake of FE3's Book 2, which is a sequel to FE11/ FE1.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Unfortunately, the only other game in the series that offers as much grinding options as the newer entries is FE2, and that game is quite dated by this point. Blazing Sword (FE7, also known as just 'Fire Emblem') has Arenas like Sacred Stones does that you can use to grind, but no world map or skirmish/challenge battles available. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn both have the Bonus Experience mechanic, which allows you to give your units extra EXP in between battles, which is kinda like grinding without the work, but there is a limit to how much BEXP you can get.

You also mentioned that story is at least of some importance to you, and Path of Radiance has one of the best written ones in the series. Difficulty-wise, however, Path of Radiance is about on par with Sacred Stones (I personally find PoR's Hard Mode easier than SS's Hard Mode, just because the units in PoR have better stats in general). Radiant Dawn's difficulty is good, but is a direct sequel to Path of Radiance so I would recommend playing that one first if you intend on eventually wanting to play Radiant Dawn. Blazing Sword's difficulty is also fine if you have the option of starting on Hector Hard Mode, otherwise it might be too easy for you (I would recommend playing through Lyn Mode on first run regardless, as long as you don't mind long tutorials).

There's also Shadow Dragon, which has arenas for grinding and many difficulty options, however the story is quite sparse. It's not bad, and it's well written, there's just not much of it because Shadow Dragon is a remake of the original game starring Marth, and the remake's story is pretty faithful to the original's.

I am going to say FE 7 Blazing Sword but only because it is the prequel to FE 6 Binding Blade which is more difficult, both have arenas so you can grind units somewhat. Path of Radiance is good but rather easy, its sequel Radiant Dawn is really good and I think you would really like it because it does have good difficulty.

Wow thanks for all the actually helpful suggestions! I've actually never had Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn recommended in any fashion and was actually advised by a friend to actively avoid Radiant dawn... opinions man.

I was eyeballing Genealogy of the Holy war but wasn't positive because of the translation woes that seems to surround its patch

Now that im reading this thread, i see that the story is split a little more cleanly than i thought. as long as you stay within the path, ie Tellius, Archanea etc i should be okay in terms of keeping with the story?

Path/Dawn seems like a good starting point from here, and from the looks of it it explains more of the "story" elements of awakenings (I see Crimea on its maps, is it the same one thats talked about in Awakening?) and ill have to give FE7/6 a look over, one glance at Hector Hard mode looks fun.

Thanks once again for all the helpful replies!

If you want to go for Path of Radiance and you found Sacred Stones too easy, you might want to consider looking for the Japanese version. There seems to be a working translation patch and if you want the game to give you any challenge, you'll want the Maniac mode that was removed from the localized game. The hard mode in the English version is probably about as hard as Sacred Stone's hard mode, but without any difficulty spikes as Phantom Ship or that defense mission near the end of SS.

Radiant Dawn's hard mode is a bit annoying, unfortunately. The designers decided to increase the difficulty partly by reducing tactical depth (they removed the weapon triangle) and by not showing you the enemy ranges (you actually have to count tiles and memorize/look up movement costs). That said, normal mode is still reasonably tricky, definitely harder than FE8 and FE9's hard modes. The difficulty curve is a bit over the place, mostly because you'll play as different parties over the course of the game and the units' powerlevels vary quite a bit between the groups. Ike and his crew are a bunch of badasses and tend to walk over their foes, but when Micaiah (the new lord) is in charge, the game tends to be at its hardest. And since the first part of the game focuses on Miccy... ;)

(I see Crimea on its maps, is it the same one thats talked about in Awakening?)

I haven't played Awakening, but I would assume so. Crimea is Tellius' Good Guy Country (although Radiant Dawn introduces a few Crimean assholes as well) and Ike's home country.

Between all the different fire emblems in the series, I'd recommend these 3...

1. Path of radiance since it's superior to radiant dawn in a lot of areas and has the best story in the series imo (although RD has the best story tone in the series)

2. Sacred stones is my personal favorite of the gba games simply because it has the most classes as far as I know.

3. Fates conquest for when you've finished both of those two.

If I had to rate all the FE games I've played it be something like this...
1. Path of radiance
2. Sacred stones
3. Fates conquest
4. Radiant dawn
5.Fire emblem 7
6 Fire emblem 6
7. Shadow dragon

Hello all, first time poster, been lurking around for a while same ole thing...

I got into the Fire Emblem series sometime in march of last year and i have been rather hooked on it ever since. I started with Awakening and i had a great time with it (started on classic/hard, was a good time) loved me some Donnel, Henry, Gaius, and Owain. and all the grinding. Love me some grinding.

After that i played Sacred stones ( i have a friend who REALLY likes Sacred stones) loved the trainees L'Arachel and Tana, found the story to be less full of holes but found it to be easy (though, i cant remember if i played it on normal or Hard)

Moved to Fire Emblem Fates didnt really care for the story much, but loved the banter between characters, the challenge of Conquest classic/hard and Revelations classic/lunatic, and Effie in general (pun intended) as well as a grounded Hinoka (The Spearmaster class with a Guard Naginata was a bit broken tho)

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. There are a lot of opinions out there, and I'm asking for more but maybe ill get somewhere. For me BIrthrights story was so bad, i almost got burnt out on the series all together but i find that i still love this type of game and would like to continue.

So, which one should I at least start with, something with a decent plot with either an option for difficulty or with difficulty baked in with at least a few eccentric and/or trainee-like characters?

Considering I've only played 3 out of 14? my eyes are spinning at reading though each game.

If you want a point of reference that will make you able to play pretty much any FE? Play FE3

Do you liked the generation system? Play FE4

Are you searching something hard and deep gameplay wise? Play FE5

Do you want a experience "half FE3, half FE5"? Play FE6

Do you want a game with a Interesting and different story? Play FE4

Do you want to play games with great world building and lore? Play Jugdrall (FE4/5), Tellius (FE9/10) or FE6

Are you searching nice magic Waifus? play Tellius games

These are my recommendations

Now that im reading this thread, i see that the story is split a little more cleanly than i thought. as long as you stay within the path, ie Tellius, Archanea etc i should be okay in terms of keeping with the story?

Exactly, each continent encompasses a continuity:

Akaneia: 1, 2, 3, 11 (remake of 1), 12 (remake 3 - part 2)

Judgral: 4, 5 (spin-off of 4)

Elibe: 6, 7 (prequel to 6, first to be localized)

Magvel: 8

Tellius: 9, 10

There are common themes (dragons, holy weapons and such) but each continuity is self-contained. I can't talk about FE13 and FE14 as I haven't played them.

Personally, I liked the Tellius story the most and I find its challenge level to be adequate, not mind-numbingly easy, not frustratingly hard. FE10 is considerably harder than FE9, though, and it is a direct sequel so playing FE9 first would be better.