Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

10 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I'll just run both, at least for defense

Give the -def one rally resistance, give the -res one rally defense. Give them both Fury, Bonfire, Renewal, and breath of life. You'll literally win every match

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

52 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Weapon Triangle Advantage formula:

(X×1.2) = X(a)

X(a) - Y = Z

example: (48×1.2) = 57.6 (in cases like this, you round up so X(a) is 58)

58 - 20 = 38

Weapon Triangle disadvantage 

(X×.8) = X(d)

X(d) - Y = Z

Example: (48×.8) = 38.4 (you round down here so X(d) is 38)

38 - 20 = 18

Also, I think no matter what decimal you have, you round up with Advantage. And with disadvantage you always round down

You rounded the wrong way both times.

Rounding is always towards the original number. So advantage rounds down (because you made the number bigger) and disadvantage rounds up (because you made the number smaller).

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Give the -def one rally resistance, give the -res one rally defense. Give them both Fury, Bonfire, Renewal, and breath of life. You'll literally win every match

you're a monster

a MONSTER

i love it

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Triangle Adept Nowi doesn't fear any Falchion users, in fact she can OHKO most of them. 

OHKO now that is pretty impessive since most run -Res anyway.

2 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I'm not using SI until I know 100% how the arena will grow this month, so my Nowi's just have Def+3 and Threaten Res. FWIW even a -Def can eat a hit from +Atk Lucina, the strongest red counter to her afaik. I have 4 sullys to rip Swordbreaker from (yay she's good for something, geez), so I'm tempted to do this to em and see what happens. 

For the any-range counter I'd honestly prefer Quick Riposte. I was running a full-on Dragon Team in the Arena for fun (Adult Tiki, Corrin, Ninian, Fae), and Adult Tiki's Lightning Breath/Quick Riposte laughed at so many people it wasn't even funny (the irony though).

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

You rounded the wrong way both times.

Rounding is always towards the original number. So advantage rounds down (because you made the number bigger) and disadvantage rounds up (because you made the number smaller).

I appreciate this. I will adjust the post accordingly using this exact information.

The people must know!

Spoiler

So this explains why I keep on getting romped.

Hm

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Triangle Adept Nowi doesn't fear any Falchion users, in fact she can OHKO most of them. 

6 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I'm not using SI until I know 100% how the arena will grow this month, so my Nowi's just have Def+3 and Threaten Res. FWIW even a -Def can eat a hit from +Atk Lucina, the strongest red counter to her afaik. I have 4 sullys to rip Swordbreaker from (yay she's good for something, geez), so I'm tempted to do this to em and see what happens. 

Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning more towards Triangle adept but I'm going to have to pull a 4* Roy first. So I'll wait till I have the necessary resources to make her really shine. 

See, I'm still confused. What are the X and Y supposed to be in those formulas? Also, the post is just going to get buried here, maybe it should be a closed sticky thread (even though there are a lot of those here at present...).

Just now, Kiran said:

Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning more towards Triangle adept but I'm going to have to pull a 4* Roy first. So I'll wait till I have the necessary resources to make her really shine. 

the biggest thing is, what other skill do you want to run?

At an eagle's view, TriangleAdept replaces her innate Def+3, while Swordbreaker overwrites nothing for her

3 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Nope

I have a feeling in a certain place that's telling me something huuuuuuuuuuge is coming next. Which is why they sent #QueenTrollop aka camilla to tempt us into spending our orbs. But no! Not me! I refuse!

I'M NOT AFRAID! 

TO TAKE A STAND!

I had a really good reply to this about an hour ago and now I can't remember it.

Don't worry. I'll stand beside you on this quest to not get new units :)

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

See, I'm still confused. What are the X and Y supposed to be in those formulas? Also, the post is just going to get buried here, maybe it should be a closed sticky thread (even though there are a lot of those here at present...).

X = your attack

Y = their Defense or Res

IceDragon's pinned thread has the battle formula in it

@Kiran @Elieson Added relevant calcs:

Spoiler

*All calculations assume +Spd, -Def Nowi with Triangle Adept 3 vs opponents of equal merge level:

On player phase:

• Nowi deals 40 damage to neutral Res Marth, missing the OHKO by 1 (but OHKOs -HP or -Res Marth)
  • Nowi deals 44 damage to neutral Res Lucina, OHKOing her (does not OHKO if Lucina is +HP or +Res)
  • Nowi deals 46 damage to neutral Res Chrom, missing the OHKO by 1 (but OHKOs -HP or -Res Chrom)

On enemy phase:

• Nowi takes 16 damage from neutral Marth (18 damage from +Atk Marth and 16 x 2 from +Spd Marth), lives with 29 HP
  • Nowi takes 18 x 2 damage from neutral Lucina (21 x 2 from +Atk), lives with 27 HP (she doesn't get the second hit unless she's +HP/Res)
  • Nowi takes 21 damage from neutral Chrom (24 damage from +Atk), lives with 24

So I have to amend my earlier statement slightly; she doesn't quite get the OHKO on most Falchion users unless they're -Res or -HP (though those are the most common banes they pick). This can be remedied by giving her Swordbreaker or Quick Riposte though, which are the two most common B skills for Nowi post skill-inheritance. Another common pick is Vantage, which also works; it'll just take you two rounds of combat to kill them instead of one. 

Feel free to double check my calcs though. I'm human and may make mistakes sometimes. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

2 minutes ago, Elieson said:

X = your attack

Y = their Defense or Res

IceDragon's pinned thread has the battle formula in it

Oh, it does? How come I didn't notice that? Thanks, Elie.

12 minutes ago, Elieson said:

the biggest thing is, what other skill do you want to run?

At an eagle's view, TriangleAdept replaces her innate Def+3, while Swordbreaker overwrites nothing for her

Even without the +3def and having a def bane, Nowi has 27 def, which isn't bad. I was thinking either quick riposte or vantage for the B slot.

@MaskedAmpharos Thanks for the calcs! It looks like Nowi misses a lot of OHKOs by a narrow margin. Thankfully a hone atk should put her right up to speed to OHKO all those falchions. Though Nowi can ORKO Chrom do to her speed allowing her to double attack.

Edited by Kiran

26 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

*All calculations assume +Spd, -Def Nowi with Triangle Adept 3 vs opponents of equal merge level:

This won't be true, even if you only consider +0, +5, and +10, which are the only merge levels with consistent bonuses across all characters.

There are two reasons for this:

1. HP. At +10 merge, +4 Atk is negated by +4 Def/Res, but all units now have 4 more HP to burn through before they die.
  2. Weapon triangle and effective damage modifiers are multiplicative instead of additive. +4 Atk results in an additional +1 Atk when at weapon triangle advantage (unless your starting Atk ends in a 0 or 5) that you wouldn't have gotten at +0 merge.

Essentially, in the +10 metagame, all units are slightly bulkier than in the +0 metagame and even more so at weapon triangle advantage. Any exact kills you'd get at +0 will be missed at +10 unless you or your opponent has Triangle Adept 3 and your Atk doesn't end in 0, 1, 5, or 6 or you have an effective weapon.

1 minute ago, JSND said:

Since theres a lot of Dragon discussion let me sneak in a question

How good is Adult Tiki? Her having natural 1-2 is kinda interesting to me. Or is it better to just went with F Corrin?

They play different roles.

Awakening Tiki is a red slow physical tank with high damage output per hit. Corrin is a blue fast physical tank with low damage output per hit.

2 minutes ago, JSND said:

Since theres a lot of Dragon discussion let me sneak in a question

How good is Adult Tiki? Her having natural 1-2 is kinda interesting to me. Or is it better to just went with F Corrin?

Young tiki also likes the 1-2

F corrin's attack isn't as high as the others. In fact, I think she has the lowest. But F corrin is quite fast so that's a plus.

14 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Young tiki also likes the 1-2

F corrin's attack isn't as high as the others. In fact, I think she has the lowest. But F corrin is quite fast so that's a plus.

That would be cool if i actually had Young Tiki lol

Really its mostly looking for Blue since i don't have Blue that is 5* atm and the Blues i had trained(Abel, Ursula, F Corrin, Subaki, Jagen) didn't really have satisfying performance compared to my go-to Red and Green(Roy Julia)

Heck even if Roy looks iffy i had Eliwood, Eirika, and Chrom as an alternative choice.

Blue wise i still have M Robin, and +ATK -DEF Effie to consider i guess

Oh an a follow up i had a +SPD -DEF Julia, and one with +ATK -DEF. Is +ATK Julia worth it to raise up in term of match up? I intend to keep them both

Edited by JSND

6 minutes ago, JSND said:

That would be cool if i actually had Young Tiki lol

Really its mostly looking for Blue since i don't have Blue that is 5* atm and the Blues i had trained(Abel, Ursula, F Corrin, Subaki, Jagen) didn't really have satisfying performance compared to my go-to Red and Green(Roy Julia)

Heck even if Roy looks iffy i had Eliwood, Eirika, and Chrom as an alternative choice.

Blue wise i still have M Robin, and +ATK -DEF Effie to consider i guess

Oh an a follow up i had a +SPD -DEF Julia, and one with +ATK -DEF. Is +ATK Julia worth it to raise up in term of match up? I intend to keep them both

30 speed isn't gonna cut it. I say get someone with spur/rally/hone speed if it's an issue but I think +atk is a lot more filthy.

Now for your blue units, I don't think passing lightning breath to f corrin is a good idea. She doesn't have enough attack for it to me. Nonetheless, your best unit to upgrade is either Ef-word or M Robin. If you choose to upgrade M robin, give him abel's sworbreaker for epic nastiness.

+Spd Julia is dang useful, but still doubled by +Spd Takumis. IMO more useful than +Atk Julia since if julia kills stuff, she _kills it dead_. She doesnt usually come close to OHKO'ing stuff...just OHKO or 2HKO.

IMO Abel/Julia/Eirika/M!Robin is a rather good team, albeit a bit questionable in terms of BST.

Eirika supports everyone nicely, M!Robin counters Takumi, Abel counters sword lords hard and Julia covers just about everything...most greens included. Eirika isn't a powerhouse but she helps the others sweep, and can block greens well enough if needed

@JSND

Edited by Elieson

@Anacybele

Paper and pencil works well.

For effective damage, just divide by 2 and add:

• 42 / 2 = 21. 42 + 21 = 63.

For weapon triangle, take the tens place, multiply by 2, add 1 if the ones place is 5 or more, then add or subtract:

• 42 → 4 x 2 = 8 → 42 + 8 = 50 or 42 - 8 = 34.
  • 47 → 4 x 2 = 8 → 8 + 1 = 9 → 47 + 9 = 56 or 47 - 9 = 38.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Anacybele

Paper and pencil works well.

For effective damage, just divide by 2 and add:

• 42 / 2 = 21. 42 + 21 = 63.

For weapon triangle, take the tens place, multiply by 2, add 1 if the ones place is 5 or more, then add or subtract:

• 42 → 4 x 2 = 8 → 42 + 8 = 50 or 42 - 8 = 34.
  • 47 → 4 x 2 = 8 → 8 + 1 = 9 → 47 + 9 = 56 or 47 - 9 = 38.

I don't always have that on me either though...

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

This won't be true, even if you only consider +0, +5, and +10, which are the only merge levels with consistent bonuses across all characters.

There are two reasons for this:

1. HP. At +10 merge, +4 Atk is negated by +4 Def/Res, but all units now have 4 more HP to burn through before they die.
  2. Weapon triangle and effective damage modifiers are multiplicative instead of additive. +4 Atk results in an additional +1 Atk when at weapon triangle advantage (unless your starting Atk ends in a 0 or 5) that you wouldn't have gotten at +0 merge.

Essentially, in the +10 metagame, all units are slightly bulkier than in the +0 metagame and even more so at weapon triangle advantage. Any exact kills you'd get at +0 will be missed at +10 unless you or your opponent has Triangle Adept 3 and your Atk doesn't end in 0, 1, 5, or 6 or you have an effective weapon.

That was very educational; thank you for that. I guess I wasn't familiar enough with merge mechanics and should have said that calcs were based off of comparing characters at +0.

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't always have that on me either though...

Step one: get small-sized hand bag/fanny pack

Step two: get pen from somewhere inside of dwelling

Step three: get small-sized notebook from somewhere inside of dwelling

Step four: put inside small hand bag/fanny pack

Now where ever you are, you can always do the calculations necessary to crush face in the arena among other things! 

Spoiler

Yes, I recommended a fanny pack. It's not as bad as it looks (not that I ever tried one or anything heh).