Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

If

Hide contents

he winds up being Zacharias, Veronica might throw a bit of a temper tantrum that he's not her big brother, and considering now she has a shapeshifter that can do Bruno's job, she might be able to fire him. Overcome with madness, we might be able to defeat him and convert him to our cause.

I'm pretty sure he is actually her brother and that the Zacharias identity might have been a disguise. I mean, he's clearly Emblian royalty given he's succumbing to the same madness as them.

2 hours ago, Quintessence said:

Am I the only one smelling a future Bruno GHB? I think once his identity and motives are uncovered he might end up being recruitable.

Future story chapter more likely, like with the Askr royals.

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, is it just me, or does the story make no sense anymore?

Reveal hidden contents

First Bruno is actually some dude named Loki, now we're supposed to believe he's Zacharias like we originally guessed?

Seriously, what's going on with this? I'm really confused. It's like IS is just throwing shit out there now.

Well, I've gotten myself up to 70 orbs. I don't want to pull on these new banners, but I would like some skill fodder and a 5 star axe other than Frederick. But I also don't want Summer Tiki. I wouldn't mind a better Summer Freddy either, but that's a bit lower priority. So conflicted...

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure Bruno is actually Emblian royalty and Veronica's brother and Zacharias was an alias he used while in contact with the Askr royals.

Loki is a separate entity that is a shapeshifter and can take the appearance of Bruno. In Chapter 11 when Loki reveals herself, one of the reasons Veronica realizes she isn't Bruno is because Bruno is supposed to be out of the castle at that time.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
  Hide contents

I'm pretty sure Bruno is actually Emblian royalty and Veronica's brother and Zacharias was an alias he used while in contact with the Askr royals.

Loki is a separate entity that is a shapeshifter and can take the appearance of Bruno. In Chapter 11 when Loki reveals herself, one of the reasons Veronica realizes she isn't Bruno is because Bruno is supposed to be out of the castle at that time.

Spoiler

That would be disappointing... I was hoping Zacharias would be one of those OCs IS said they would eventually add to the game. They did promise that and Zacharias sounded pretty cool.

And..."herself"? Loki isn't a guy? What?

Hide contents

That would be disappointing... I was hoping Zacharias would be one of those OCs IS said they would eventually add to the game. They did promise that and Zacharias sounded pretty cool.

And..."herself"? Loki isn't a guy? What?

IIRC, Loki used feminine pronouns to refer to self in Japanese.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Hide contents

IIRC, Loki used feminine pronouns to refer to self in Japanese.

...Oh. I wonder why this wasn't the case in English.

...Oh. I wonder why this wasn't the case in English.

Because English doesn’t have gendered 1st person pronouns? “I” is always an “I”, no matter whether you are a boy or a girl.

Edited by Vaximillian

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Because English doesn’t have gendered 1st person pronouns? “I” is always an “I”, no matter whether you are a boy or a girl.

Well, you simply said pronouns, not first person pronouns. But you're right, English doesn't have that.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, you simply said pronouns, not first person pronouns. But you're right, English doesn't have that.

Well, you usually use 1st person when referring to self, unless you are Legion.

@Ice Dragon, ah, I knew I remembered something wrong.

Edited by Vaximillian

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I must have been in a hurry during CH11 because I don't remember any of this.  TIme to watch a playthrough on youtube...

Oh... wait. This was for the Tempest Trials Xenologue. I think. (I knew I got something wrong somewhere.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Well, you usually use 1st person when referring to self, unless you are Legion.

True, but I wasn't sure if maybe Loki spoke in third person or had slightly different lines or something in Japanese. Localization doesn't always do direct translations and all.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Anacybele @Vaximillian

Not feminine pronouns, but more just feminine language. I did a full analysis of her lines from Chapter 11 in the story discussion thread:

Oh, okay.

So Japanese is a bit like French in that it has feminine and masculine terms for things that English doesn't. French does that for objects and stuff (for example, pencil is "la crayon" and uses the feminine term, while pen is "le plume" and uses the masculine term), as well as relationships (a female friend is "copine" or "amie" while a male one is "copain" or "ami" and there isn't really a term for boyfriend or girlfriend, but "copain" and "copine" are usually used for that if I remember right. "un" and "une" are also masculine and feminine French terms, respectively. "la" and "le" are used for "the" while "un" and "une" are used for "a"), while Japanese does it more for just people. I think I gotcha. I'm more versed in French than any other non-English language, so that's why I made the comparison. Just trying to fully understand here.

Edited by Anacybele

I think you're reading into things.

Masculine and Feminine are styles of speech for pronouns and sentence endings. Not how things are referred to such as masculine and feminine words for actual objects in Spanish, and like you said, French.

Huh, I guess I never knew of the discrepancy in the English story. I now have the habit of switching Belinda's English copy to Japanese when I involves more than just Tempest Trials grinding.

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

True, but I wasn't sure if maybe Loki spoke in third person or had slightly different lines or something in Japanese. Localization doesn't always do direct translations and all.

Oh, okay.

So Japanese is a bit like French in that it has feminine and masculine terms for things that English doesn't. French does that for objects and stuff (for example, pencil is "la crayon" and uses the feminine term, while pen is "le plume" and uses the masculine term), as well as relationships (a female friend is "copine" or "amie" while a male one is "copain" or "ami" and there isn't really a term for boyfriend or girlfriend, but "copain" and "copine" are usually used for that if I remember right), while Japanese does it more for just people. I think I gotcha. I'm more versed in French than any other non-English language, so that's why I made the comparison. Just trying to fully understand here.

Yeah, Japanese has actually a ton of first-person pronouns depending on the speaker's gender identity (e.g. gay camp typically uses standard feminine speech in fictional works) and level of formality. Unlike many European languages which assign gender to generic nouns, Japanese doesn't so much assign gender as it does change how you actually talk when you, yourself, are a different gender.

The most commons first-person pronouns are "watakushi" (non-gendered very formal), "watashi" (non-gendered formal, feminine colloquial), "atashi" (feminine colloquial), "boku" (masculine colloquial, feminine tomboy), and "ore" (masculine colloquial). Overlap for colloquial pronouns typically depend on how the speaker sees themselves or wants others to see them as ("atashi" and "ore" are less formal and more strongly gendered than "watashi" and "boku").

There are also phrases that are typically used by only one gender or the other (feminine speech has more of these than masculine speech in Japanese). The interjection "ara", roughly "oh, my", is distinctly feminine, as are the words "kashira" ("perhaps" or "I suppose") and "choudai" ("please [do this]"). The sentence-end particle "wa" (using the actual "wa" character and not "ha" pronounced as "wa", which is different and non-gendered) is feminine-exclusive. Feminine and masculine speech use specific contractions of the "-no-desu" sentence ending, for example the colloquial affirmative declarative contraction is "-no" for females and "-nda" for males.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah, Japanese has actually a ton of first-person pronouns depending on the speaker's gender identity (e.g. gay camp typically uses standard feminine speech in fictional works) and level of formality. Unlike many European languages which assign gender to generic nouns, Japanese doesn't so much assign gender as it does change how you actually talk when you, yourself, are a different gender.

The most commons ones are "watakushi" (non-gendered very formal), "watashi" (non-gendered formal, feminine colloquial), "atashi" (feminine colloquial), "boku" (masculine colloquial, feminine tomboy), and "ore" (masculine colloquial). Overlap for colloquial pronouns typically depend on how the speaker sees themselves or wants others to see them as ("atashi" and "ore" are less formal and more strongly gendered than "watashi" and "boku").

There are also phrases that are typically used by only one gender or the other (feminine speech has more of these than masculine speech in Japanese). The interjection "ara", roughly "oh, my", is distinctly feminine, as are the words "kashira" ("perhaps" or "I suppose") and "choudai" ("please [do this]"). The sentence-end particle "wa" (using the actual "wa" character and not "ha" pronounced as "wa", which is different and non-gendered) is feminine-exclusive. Feminine and masculine speech use specific contractions of the "-no-desu" sentence ending, for example the colloquial affirmative declarative contraction is "-no" for females and "-nda" for males.

Oh man, and I thought French had a lot of feminine and masculine terms. I dunno if I can wrap my head around this. xP I'm already trying to memorize as many katakana as I can.

Right now, I just remember how to write my real name and a few other names in it. Kelly = Keri. Ike = Aiku. Frederick = Furederikku (I think, that's a crazy one lol). Rezzy's name of Rachel is Reicheru, I believe (another longish one, so I might have a letter backwards). Dragoncat's real name is actually exactly the same. lol She hates it though, so I won't bring it up. XD

34 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I must have been in a hurry during CH11 because I don't remember any of this.  TIme to watch a playthrough on youtube...

Maybe not relevant to you now, but you can see the story dialoge again if you play the chapters on normal

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The most commons first-person pronouns are "watakushi" (non-gendered very formal), "watashi" (non-gendered formal, feminine colloquial), "atashi" (feminine colloquial), "boku" (masculine colloquial, feminine tomboy), and "ore" (masculine colloquial). Overlap for colloquial pronouns typically depend on how the speaker sees themselves or wants others to see them as ("atashi" and "ore" are less formal and more strongly gendered than "watashi" and "boku").

I'm not super familiar with the older games in Japanese, but is Delthea the first Bokukko in FE? Not considering the fact that Echoes is actually Gaiden, since non-MCs barely have any lines in those old games.

21 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm not super familiar with the older games in Japanese, but is Delthea the first Bokukko in FE? Not considering the fact that Echoes is actually Gaiden, since non-MCs barely have any lines in those old games.

I honestly have no clue. I played FE3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 back before I had enough proficiency in the language to read dialogue with any speed (and therefore just didn't bother), and I didn't get very far into FE13 before Monster Hunter 4G dragged me away from it (I'm on the sidequest where you recruit Donnel).

47 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The weird part is that this comedic Japanese pronoun joke is brought to you by Chrom's seiyuu.

As for your starement, no girl comes to mind off the top of my head that uses 僕 in FE besides her.

Edited by shadowofchaos

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I honestly have no clue. I played FE3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 back before I had enough proficiency in the language to read dialogue with any speed (and therefore just didn't bother), and I didn't get very far into FE13 before Monster Hunter 4G dragged me away from it (I'm on the sidequest where you recruit Donnel).

3 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

The weird part is that this comedic Japanese pronoun joke is brought to you by Chrom's seiyuu.

As for your starement, no girl comes to mind off the top of my head that uses 僕 in FE besides her.

You know what... I'm dumb. Sully uses Boku.

11 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I mean, Ayu is literally the first character that comes to mind when talking about bokukkos. Hell, my Anime Central badge name for the past 8 years or so has been "Ayu Ayu".

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Rezzy's name of Rachel is Reicheru, I believe (another longish one, so I might have a letter backwards).

That's cool; I did not know that.