Weapons!

What weapon system would you like to see?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What weapon system would you like to see?

• Classic Gaiden style. More like Zelda than Fire Emblem!
    • Fate's Style. Keeps the infinite durability!
    • Classic Style. Bring back durability!

Don't see a thread like this yet so I might as well kick it off. Gaiden probably has the strangest weapon system in the series thus far. Like Fates it has infinite durability but not really in the same way. Units can't really be unarmed. They will always have some weapon to attack with. The one equipment slot for weapons can also be used for shields. Weapons are also much rarer leading them to be sort of like upgrades for your units almost like skills from Radiant Dawn (especially since this is stuff where the Luna lance originated from). An interesting system but will we see it come back exactly like that? If we do I hope it means we see some more weapons added. There's no Axes aside from the default one. Another issue with it is that everyone except Alm is monoweapon. Even if the weapon triangle isn't a thing that sort of still bugs me since I like variation.

Another possibility is that they'll just use Fate's Weapon system since it already has the infinite durability and, more importantly, would be massively easy to implement since all the code is already there. Anyway discuss what you'd like to see and what you'd expect to see from Shadows of Valentia's weapon system.

Edited by Jotari

Considering we had Alm do 7 damage to an enemy and get all of 7 EXP (implying he was of higher level than it), I think they've kept Gaiden's "you can attack without a weapon equipped and equipped weapons just buff damage dealt while being rarer".

If they do keep the old style I'd like to see them expand upon it a bit (especially regarding Axes and Bows. Not sure how expansive the defensive equipment selection in it was but it sounds like something that can always be expanded upon. Imagine if a piece of defensive equipment increased Move at the expense of using the default weapon). Also allow for dual wielding. What about Weapon Ranks? Gaiden predated the weapon rank system, should that be implemented? It was in Shadow Dragon. However there doesn't seem to be as much of a need for it if weapons are uiqnue and valued equipment like that. 

Edited by Jotari

I'd like to see a refinement of Fates system.

They can keep infinite durability, but maybe have uses per map or something like that to balance the more powerful weapons.  As it was, I just used forged Iron weapons 99% of the time.  I think it could use better balancing.

I would like to see Bows keep their long range.  Like 5, I think?  It would make Archers far more viable.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I'd like to see a refinement of Fates system.

They can keep infinite durability, but maybe have uses per map or something like that to balance the more powerful weapons.  As it was, I just used forged Iron weapons 99% of the time.  I think it could use better balancing.

I would like to see Bows keep their long range.  Like 5, I think?  It would make Archers far more viable.

The trailer showed a sword user countering against a bow which implies they can attack from melee range so I think there's a high likelihood they're keeping bows the same.

Mono weapon sure but not mono attack method with Celica's access to both sword and magic. (And magic might be more weapon like now even if more weapons aren't added to classes and in the video we see Celica retains her access. Well unless the major longshot of her sword being strictly decorative happens) Though of course that can easily be condensed into only lords/main character's classes get it which has close to the same result. 

And yeah axes aren't really on par with other weapons in alot of ways earlier on. But no apparent additions to the villager system already seems like a bit of a strike against a major axe integration into the system.  Though that still leaves less "extreme" ways. 

Not sure about the system itself, I think I'll bow out on that one due to lack of practical experience with the system. Though I think I'll bring up being for more weapons/magic even if the system is maintained. It looks like it could use some more filling out, both for more normal weapons and special cases. (Rudolf?) And when it comes to weapon changes the levin/thunder sword did less damage than it would before right? 

Mix of Gaiden's and Fate's is probably what they will go with, and I think that would be the best idea. I like the idea of the limited inventory of Gaiden, but maybe move it to two slots instead of one. I think Fate's debuff/buff mechanic might work nice in Shadows, with some touch ups.

8 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Mix of Gaiden's and Fate's is probably what they will go with, and I think that would be the best idea. I like the idea of the limited inventory of Gaiden, but maybe move it to two slots instead of one. I think Fate's debuff/buff mechanic might work nice in Shadows, with some touch ups.

Most people do tend to have two arms...

I also think a mix between more modern games and the limited style of Gaiden would be fine (though I clicked the fates one on accident). The default weapon thing is pretty cool but having more than just one slot could also make things more dynamic.

Definitely keep things pretty limited and there absolutely should not be durability.