Subsequent releases

NekoKnight

With the recent direct, we've heard a lot of new information about upcoming Fire Emblem releases. If it wasn't obvious after Awakening and Fates, Fire Emblem is now mainstream. On the horizon we have Fire Emblem Echoes, Fire Emblem Heroes, Fire Emblem Warriors and an unnamed Fire Emblem for the Nintendo Switch. That's 4 releases in 2 years (assuming the Switch title isn't delayed)! My question is, how much steam does the series have in it and will it affect the quality of the games? Do you think this is just a burst of titles that coincidentally all came together at the same time? Or do you think Fire Emblem is going to keep up this release pace and give us frequent entries in the series akin to Mario and Zelda?

I am sure they have been working on FE 16 since they finished Fates so I can see them finishing it for next year but probably late next year.  What I see them doing is making remakes of the Japan only releases so that they can release more games but it will depend on how well SoV does and I think it will do well, but that is just me.  Once they make a good engine for NS they will probably make more then one game for it if the NS does well in sales.

Gaiden has apparently been in the works for a while too. Does that mean that they have different teams working on the two games? It would be neat if they had one group focused on making remakes and another working on the next "modern" game.

While I have been wondering the same thing, I remain optimistic and hope they've hired some new, skilled people to help with their sudden increased workload. Of course, that doesn't guarantee the quality of future installments, but if it helps them not spread themselves too thin, that's a plus.

For Echoes, they're using Awakening and Fates' engine, I would imagine, and while I don't know much about such things, I do know it cuts down the amount of work required. They also had the world map, the basic story and at least a few playable maps ready to go and just needed spiff them up, I would imagine. 

Isn't Fire Emblem warriors developed by Koei Tecmo as well, by the way? I imagine Intelligent Systems just send a few observers and advisors for that.

IS is a big team, and as far as I know, the only games that they're really that involved with are Echoes and Switch. While that's two games, the work for Gaiden had already been mostly done for them. They're using an engine and assets from the previous two games to update a game that was made 25 years ago. Obviously that's still a decent chunk of work, but that's a relatively light project compared to making a new game from scratch.

I imagine their main focus is Switch, which I'm sure the Echoes team will fully commit to once Echoes goes gold.

After this, I expect the pace of FE releases to slow down. A lot of this is obviously a push for the Switch and Nintendo's new policy on putting their properties on smartphones. After FE: Switch comes out, I expect that maybe we'll see an FE4/5 remake a year or two after, and the next full FE to be maybe 3 years away. The order of that might change(Next new title first, then remake a year or so later), but I think it'll slow down.

Edited by Slumber