This might have already been done. However...

Sage of Ylisse

What would be changed in Awakening if the story was closer in vein to Genealogy of the Holy War? If Holy Blood was further implemented, Which characters would get them? Aside from Chrom and his family, Robin, Validar, and possibly Aversa. Honestly. I kind of want this to be an open discussion. Since I never quite played Genealogy I'm slightly lost on certain aspects of the story.

There are some similarities between the two mechanic/plot-wise.

Genealogy had 2 generations. In the first generation, you had to pair up all the female playable units with any of the male units that way their children (and holy blood) can be passed on. There are 12 types of Holy Blood and a special case of Unholy Blood (not official name since I'm trying to avoid spoilers).

Awakening has the pairing and child aspect, however, unlike Genealogy, having all the kids is optional and not an integral part of the story. Who you match with who does affect the children a lot so you want to be smart with who you pair up with who. In Genealogy, if a female unit goes unmatched, in the second generation, two "substitute" characters replace what would be kids. But since she was never wed, they were never born, prompting completely new and overall weaker characters to appear (with the exception of a couple of substitutes, who can be more useful than the originals). For Awakening to be like this, they'll need to have the cast all have Holy Blood. Since people with Holy Blood were generally royalty, Chrom, Lissa, Emmeryn, Robin, both Khans, Say'ri, Yen'fay Walhart, Maribelle, Ricken, and some other select characters will have holy blood. All mothers will need to have at least 2 children to have a similar number of characters for each generation and some mothers may need to removed as mothers and become children units. Since 11 mothers can seem overwhelming compared to FE4's 7. But it could work with 11.

The whole long campaign aspect worked for FE4's marriage system too, since levels were long which gave you time (50 turns. Sounds like a lot, but not in that game) to raise them love points.

The other similar aspect between these two games in the cult villain thing, which Validar and his crew covers. And

Spoiler

Robin could be the Deidre of Awakening.

Honestly, I'd recommend giving FE4 a spin. It has its issues, but has one of the most, if not, the most intriguing stories in the series. But patience is needed for the gameplay. But it's still fun to try different pairings, but you may want to start with the "canon" choices first, just so the 2nd Generation isn't so hard on your first time. It'll still be difficult though.

14 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Awakening needs to have an awesome party thrown for all this to work like Genealogy.

Spoiler

Spoilers!

Spoiler

With a barbecue?

If you're asking about holy bloods, there are some characters who are noted to be of minor houses (Ricken, while Sully and Sumia are likely of knightly houses), and Maribelle's stated to be the daughter of the Duke of Themis. So possibly there, but even still, I'd doubt that holy bloods would have to be a mechanic for a 2-generation Awakening, with the children still inheriting growths and all, there'd mostly be the matter of inheritance for gameplay to deal with.

But one thing I'd think would matter more for said game is dealing with the minor villains, which moved the plot quite a bit in FE4, mostly lords or heirs of houses trying to push their influence, and that is something that would need expanding on, despite there being options to begin with (Plegia acting similarly to another nation in FE4, Valm planning an invasion akin to another as well).

I suppose my biggest question would be when would the first generation be replaced if the story's length was kept the same? @Dayni Now that you mentioned that part. It would be intriguing to see Plegia in a much more in depth sort of way aside from it being a desert nation that worships a dragon that wants to end the world. Even a look into the Valmese would be more intriguing that what we were offered in awakening's base story.

2 hours ago, Sage of Ylisse said:

I suppose my biggest question would be when would the first generation be replaced if the story's length was kept the same? @Dayni Now that you mentioned that part. It would be intriguing to see Plegia in a much more in depth sort of way aside from it being a desert nation that worships a dragon that wants to end the world. Even a look into the Valmese would be more intriguing that what we were offered in awakening's base story.

If they were going to do it FE4 styled, the Conqueror arc would probably be done away with, and replaced with your party being killed by Grima with Morgan being the new avatar and Lucina being the new "Chrom." with everyone else hooking up somewhere inbetween or before that point. 

Oh, and Maribelle, Ricken and Robin would probably be the only other "special" major blood houses. 

Edited by Augestein

9 hours ago, Augestein said:

If they were going to do it FE4 styled, the Conqueror arc would probably be done away with, and replaced with your party being killed by Grima with Morgan being the new avatar and Lucina being the new "Chrom." with everyone else hooking up somewhere inbetween or before that point. 

Oh, and Maribelle, Ricken and Robin would probably be the only other "special" major blood houses. 

Ah, That's slightly disappointing. Although I do find the Valmese arc decidedly off in comparison to the Plegian war arc and the Grima arc. Wouldn't some of the other characters have minor holy blood. Like Virion? Or possibly even Cherche?