[FE8] Changing Class Number Past 7F?

Deltre

So I just added a bunch of classes into FE8 and the table seems to be working just fine. I can set characters to the new classes and they load just fine, have the correct stats, etc. However, whenever I try to change the Class Number value in Nightmare, the game heavily glitches/locks up whenever I go past the default max (7F). Ordinarily, I'd just piggyback off other class ID Numbers, but with this now being a thing, I can't do that here since it seems to check against the set Class Number to determine what skills to give to what unit. I can 100% confirm that it's not the patch that's causing this either, as the game glitches when I do the same on a newly expanded class table with no patch.

Any ideas?

EDIT: So I feel kinda dumb, but I forgot to change the Standing Map Sprite/Moving Map Sprite tables. I did that, but now when I hover over a unit set to class 0x80, it displays the wrong moving map animation and when I promote it goes to the wrong class. 

Edited by Deltre

Only 7 bits in the class number byte are saved, so only 0x7F classes are allowed. I've had some ideas on how to change this (basically by exchanging it with another byte in save that that doesn't need all the bits) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

1 hour ago, Tequila said:

Only 7 bits in the class number byte are saved, so only 0x7F classes are allowed. I've had some ideas on how to change this (basically by exchanging it with another byte in save that that doesn't need all the bits) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ah well that's a bummer. Well thanks for replying, at least I have a plan of attack now. Since allies/enemies don't seem to have this problem I'll just shuffle the class list around a bit.

1 hour ago, Tequila said:

They don't? Are you sure about that?

I'm fairly certain, though I haven't tested it as extensively.

Using this patch, I can tell you for sure that Enemies using classes past 7F function properly (working Map Sprites, correct class data), interact correctly with the skill patch in question (loads the proper skill list, learns skills at the correct levels), and don't malfunction from Suspend/Resume. Mind you, I only tested on the Prologue map, but from what I can tell it seems to work. 

I didn't test Allied units, admittedly, although I suspect they work in a similar fashion. Player units are definitely a no go though. 

Edited by Deltre