Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion and Race Planning Thread

Anacybele

MK8 Deluxe came out last week and I just bought it with a gift card I got for my birthday! Did any other Switch owners get it?

We can talk about the game here and plan some online races if anyone wants, just like we did with the original MK8 (we had tons of fun races!). Don't worry about paying, the internet on the Switch is free until the fall. So anyone want to do some races a little later? I need to re-familiarize myself with the game since it's been awhile since the last time I played the Wii U game.

My go-to characters are still Luigi, Daisy, and sometimes Rosalina and Link. I still like the bikes more than the karts as well. Favorite tracks are still Rainbow Road and N64 Rainbow Road. :3

Did no one else get the game? :( Or maybe too few people managed to buy the Switch itself... (and honestly, this seems more likely than anything given what I've heard)

Well, in any case, I'm gonna post a little update on my play time. I think there's a little bit more new content in the game than originally thought! There are indeed no new tracks sadly, but I think we might have some new bikes and carts. The standard ATV and City Tripper definitely look new to me, but maybe I just don't remember them at all.

Also, and this might just be an aesthetic thing, but antennas were added to the backs of the karts and bikes (I'm pretty sure they weren't there before). I dunno what for, but it's kinda interesting. :P

Next, about the double items. You actually can only get two items if you hit double item blocks (not sure if this was ever really pointed out much in trailers).

I haven't tried the new battle mode(s) yet (not sure how many there are, either one or two), but I'm getting to that next now that I've gotten myself familiar with the controls again (though without a Wii Wheel since that's what I was used to using before. I'll have to get a new one since according to what the game shows, there are new wheels for the joycons to fit in).

I hope other people get the game and join the thread soon! I know MK8 Deluxe isn't an entirely new game, but Mario Kart 8 on the go, anyone? New battle modes? Not to mention that the Switch already looks like it's going to totally outsell the Wii U, so we could potentially have a lot more players in time than before!

Edited by Anacybele

Did you spent $132 on Mario Kart 8? That's nuts. How many battle arenas are there? Are there 12 like Mario Kart Wii?

On 5/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, Anacybele said:

Also, and this might just be an aesthetic thing, but antennas were added to the backs of the karts and bikes (I'm pretty sure they weren't there before). I dunno what for, but it's kinda interesting. :P

The antenna is basically baby mode driving.  It helps prevent players from driving off the cliff and auto drive.  The downside is you don't get triple mini turbo and shortcuts are a big nono in this setting.

2 hours ago, Zera said:

Did you spent $132 on Mario Kart 8? That's nuts. How many battle arenas are there? Are there 12 like Mario Kart Wii?

There are 8 battle arenas but there are now 5 different modes with a completely new mode Renegade Roundup which is basically cops and robbers.  Personally this has been the best battle mode since N64 imo.  Shine Thief which used to be meh in Double Dash is now fantastic with 12 players.

10 hours ago, Zera said:

Um, no... MK8 was $60 and this game was $60. That's $120. Though this doesn't include the Link DLC (the only DLC I got in the original MK8). That would only be a few dollars more. And I think it was worth it to have this great game on the portable Switch and on the go, plus the new battle mode Renegade Roundup is pretty fun! And those who liked Splatoon, King Boo, Bowser Jr. or Dry Bones get these characters.

Double items is is also pretty cool too. And what if I met other Switch players who have it? I wouldn't be able to play with them online or off if I hadn't bought it.

Hello! I Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and I'm always looking for new challengers! I'm still getting used to drifting since it's been a few months since I last played, but I can say I'm pretty good at the game! Maybe we can battle later today or on the weekend.

The auto accelerate and smart steering options are pretty great. There aren't many games my disabled brother can play, but this is one of them. I just wish you could map Use Item to a face button like Y. All control options have it as the left index finger button, and he can't reach that.