ARMS Nintendo Direct

So I just got done watching the ARMS Nintendo Direct and, I have to say, I'm extremely impressed.  The new characters look interesting, too.  It was especially hilarious to see Etika struggling to resist the "temptation" that was Twintelle.

I've had a positive view on ARMS for a while now unlike the rest of the internet, who seemed skeptical at best or disinterested at worst for the most part. So this Direct dropped just about everything we'd need to know about the game leading into it's release, perhaps now I could see it turning a few more heads. Essentially what I took away from it is that Nintendo is trying to make ARMS the next Splatoon since the game will have a pre-release demo and free updates after it launches. However, I think this game wont quite make it as big as Splatoon since shooters are undeniably more popular, but I think ARMS has enough going for it to garner at least a cult following with it's surprisingly deep looking game play, due to the massive amount of customization with the weapons, and colorful cast of crazy Mexican Luchador-esqe fighters, Twintelle being my favorite to be revealed so far. In the end though, this is mostly speculation and I wont really know first hand how good the game is unless I can scrap up the money for the switch (after a restock of course) so we'll just have wait and see if ARMS can reach a large audience or not.

You may now shun me for I am the king of bad puns!

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Making the additional content free is BRILLIANT, definitely a great way to bring people in. That, and the Global Testpunch. I'm grabbing a Switch sometime in July, and I think ARMS has won me over now. Helix is bae by the way.

Edited by DragonLord

• 2 weeks later...

Played the global test punch earlier. Ribbon Girls everywhere. Lots of Minmin, too. Spring Man and Ninjara basically non-existent.

Game seems fun, though it will certainly take a lot of getting used to.

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Played the global test punch earlier. Ribbon Girls everywhere. Lots of Minmin, too. Spring Man and Ninjara basically non-existent.

Game seems fun, though it will certainly take a lot of getting used to.

Interesting.  Was Twintelle even playable?

One thing I will say is that, ARMS has the best online fighting game netcode.  I have not encountered a single lag, input delay, graphical stops or a single off sync issue.  This is amazing netcode optimization coming from Nintendo and it's on a fighting game no less.  Not even Blazblue or Street fighter or even Mortal Kombat gets online netcoding working at all and those games are 2D fighters.  This is a 3D movement game with motion controls which is an amazing achievement.

Here's my first testpunch playthrough.  Keep in mind I was using Joycon motion controls.  And honestly I'm loving the game already.  4 Player free for all is great reminds me a lot of the 4 player Naruto GCN fighting game and it's a lot of fun.

Even 4 player online free for all runs flawlessly.

Edited by kingddd