Intermittent Wii Frame Rate Drops

Wist

For the past few months my Wii has been experiencing occasional, but rather dramatic, dips in frame rate, most notably while playing the games Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the two Wii titles I have been playing most frequently within this time period. Each individual instance of this problem lasts between approximately five to twenty-five seconds. As far as I can tell, this problem happens randomly and without relation to the level of activity taking place in whichever game is affected. It does, unfortunately, occur at least once during every play session of decent length (about half an hour) and may take place multiple times during an extended session. I have tried searching, via Google, for some possible explanations but I have yet to come across any information of substance.

Has anybody here experienced, or know of somebody who has experienced, such a problem? I do not know if this is an isolated occurrence or whether I could gain any useful insight by contacting Nintendo. I bought the Wii in question in November of 2006 so its warranty has since expired.

I must profess myself a bit disappointed. I own a Japanese Wii which has never exhibited this particular behavior but instead suffers from a disc drive which occasionally spins too slowly; this defect results in choppy cinematics and excessive load times. Luckily, if one could consider it fortuitous, this problem rears its head far less frequently than the complication I highlighted above.

Even if this problem cannot be resolved I hope to at least understand its nature. I greatly appreciate any relevant information or advice which anyone here may be able to offer. Likewise, if this is an isolated incident, I understand if nobody is able to offer a concrete explanation.

Edit (30.03.2008):

The above text is slightly misleading. I have a Japanese Wii with its own problem, but I also have a North American Wii; it is this North American Wii which experiences the frame rate problems (but does not suffer from a defective disc drive).

Yes; games slow up unnaturally and I do not know why.

If multiple members follow suit with a similar post to yours then it looks like I will have something to be quite concerned about, but I think it is in my best interest to learn if the complication lies on my end or if it is a complication for Wii consoles in general. Thank you for your quick response, Metal Rabbit.

I play Japanese games on my Japanese Wii, but the frame rate problem is affecting my North American console which I use only to play North American games. Neither console has been modded. Looking back at my introductory post, my presentation appears unclear; I will amend it.

The Fourth Fox, thank you also for replying. I think I can at least take solace in the fact that the Wii is not known to perform like this. It looks like I would do well to draft a letter to Nintendo about this concern.