Changing a Character's Class

Neonatal Johndice

Hi. I was bored, and decided to randomize FE8 and play it. A lot of interesting things happened, like how I have 8 Pupils now. Normally a Pupil is supposed to promote upon reaching level 10, but since I randomized the game they don't do that anymore. I still want them to be able to promote into a Mage or a Shaman though, so I figured the best thing to do was just to change their class.

I don't really know much about using Nightmare, I just downloaded the thing yesterday for fun. So I was wondering what the simplest way to go about changing a character's class would be. 

Thanks!

Edit their class in the chapter unit editor. Be sure to do it in the CUE, and no the character editor, because editing it there just changes what class appears in the support log.

5 hours ago, Katie said:

Edit their class in the chapter unit editor. Be sure to do it in the CUE, and no the character editor, because editing it there just changes what class appears in the support log.

Which chapter do I edit, the one I'm on? I'm on Chapter 8 or so, so if I wanted to change their class now would I change it from when I recruited them or on my current chapter. Or is that impossible? If so is there any way I could just add a bunch of Guiding Rings to my inventory?

1 minute ago, Neonatal Johndice said:

Which chapter do I edit, the one I'm on? I'm on Chapter 8 or so, so if I wanted to change their class now would I change it from when I recruited them or on my current chapter. Or is that impossible? If so is there any way I could just add a bunch of Guiding Rings to my inventory?

Whatever chapter they join in.

EDIT: You also have to do it BEFORE you recruit them, otherwise it's too late and you have to edit your save instead.

Edited by Katie

Just now, Neonatal Johndice said:

How do I go about save editing then? Is there another program I should use for that?

Yeah, but I couldn't tell you what.

You can do it in a memory viewer if your emulator has one.

First, open this and scroll down to Class Values (they're actually pointers to the class's data).
Next, in-game, select the character whose class you want to change. By select, I mean press A as though you were going to move them.
Go to 3004E50 in your memory viewer. This contains a pointer to the active unit, written in little endian. For instance, if you see that the first 4 bytes there are 4C BE 02 02, that means the selected character's data is at 202BE4C.
Go to that pointer in the memory viewer (in our example, 202BE4C). The class pointer will be 4 bytes after that, at 202BE50.
Change the last two bytes of the pointer to the class you want using the codebreaker sheet. For instance, the pupil (T0) has 68 85 (remember, flipped because of little endian). To change this to a male mage, which on the list is 7D34, write 34 7D to that same place.
Changes take effect in a memory viewer immediately, so just click back into the game and press B. You'll probably need to force a redraw of the map sprites, so just select another character or view their stats or something.
Your original character should now be in their new class, and you have successfully ramhacked something. Go celebrate.