More info for this week teased (no new characters yet?)

VincentASM

8 minutes ago, Folt said:

It's a somewhat standard take on sword beams. most things we call sword beams are technically not beams but projectiles that travel forward, whether from activating something by the sword (like Siegfried and it's usual laser), swinging the sword (in this case, Xander has to swing his sword twice to make it appear as it's X-shaped) or do something fancy.

When I think of sword beams, the first thing that comes to mind are the straight projectiles of light in Zelda.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

When I think of sword beams, the first thing that comes to mind are the straight projectiles of light in Zelda.

Agreed, but my time with anime and other games have led me to the conclusion that there are various types of sword beams, though crescent-shaped projectiles are a pretty common depiction of sword beams from what I've watched.

Wow, I didn't think Freddy could get any beefier. Those legs and maybe his torso got some extra muscle or something! Lookin' good so far. ^^

EDIT: @Folt Proof? Source? If that's true though, how disappointing. Complete missed potential.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, I didn't think Freddy could get any beefier. Those legs and maybe his torso got some extra muscle or something! Lookin' good so far. ^^

EDIT: @Folt Proof? Source? If that's true though, how disappointing. Complete missed potential.

Well, that puts things like "too many sword lords" into perspective at least. If characters are only going to wield a single weapon type, they cannot flood the roster with lords given that many lords' unique weapons is a sword.

2 minutes ago, Folt said:

Well, that puts things like "too many sword lords" into perspective at least. If characters are only going to wield a single weapon type, they cannot flood the roster with lords given that many lords' unique weapons is a sword.

This puts Frederick at a severe disadvantage gameplay-wise though. With all the swords running around, how will he be that useful at all? If he was also given the ability to wield lances, at least, that problem is solved entirely. With just axes, he'll probably be bottom tier along with any other unit that wields only axes. Not giving Frederick swords is fine, that I can understand. But not even lances? JUST axes? That doesn't make sense at all. Didn't they WANT lances as well as axes to balance the roster more?

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

This puts Frederick at a severe disadvantage gameplay-wise though. With all the swords running around, how will he be that useful at all? If he was also given the ability to wield lances, at least, that problem is solved entirely. With just axes, he'll probably be bottom tier along with any other unit that wields only axes.

Oh, I dunno. We might see various NPC-only officers who's about as strong as a playable characters, but wield various weapons. It's also in-line with the developers desire to have it be a more strategic game than most Musous: Given that character switching is a thing, we're likely going to have to switch characters in order to get the right weapon type for the job. (Or otherwise learn to combo.)

Just now, Folt said:

Oh, I dunno. We might see various NPC-only officers who's about as strong as a playable characters, but wield various weapons. It's also in-line with the developers desire to have it be a more strategic game than most Musous: Given that character switching is a thing, we're likely going to have to switch characters in order to get the right weapon type for the job. (Or otherwise learn to combo.)

Okay, but what about game modes like Colosseum or whatever it was where you have to defeat various characters to win (I'm talking about the part from that gameplay footage where Xander was used to defeat the other characters consecutively)? What if I pick Frederick, but all the characters that show up are swords? That's not fair to me or other Frederick/axe character players.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, but what about game modes like Colosseum or whatever it was where you have to defeat various characters to win (I'm talking about the part from that gameplay footage where Xander was used to defeat the other characters consecutively)? What if I pick Frederick, but all the characters that show up are swords? That's not fair to me or other Frederick/axe character players.

Then you just have to learn how to combo with him, eh? From what I saw, a weapon disadvantage probably means more that you're not going to be able to initiate a Critical Hit on a character, but if you can combo them, you'll still eventually defeat them, won't you? It'd be good training for enemies you have disadvantage against, eh? (Not to mention Awakening mode which should let you get in some Critical Hits regardless.)

EDIT:

Edited by Folt

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This puts Frederick at a severe disadvantage gameplay-wise though. With all the swords running around, how will he be that useful at all? If he was also given the ability to wield lances, at least, that problem is solved entirely. With just axes, he'll probably be bottom tier along with any other unit that wields only axes. Not giving Frederick swords is fine, that I can understand. But not even lances? JUST axes? That doesn't make sense at all. Didn't they WANT lances as well as axes to balance the roster more?

Also, this can easily be mitigated if we include more Lancers. We only are seeing sword users and now we have two axe users, and one magic user. That's only about what, 11 characters so far? We still have a lot more units to fill in here.

4 minutes ago, Folt said:

Then you just have to learn how to combo with him, eh? From what I saw, a weapon disadvantage probably means more that you're not going to be able to initiate a Critical Hit on a character, but if you can combo them, you'll still eventually defeat them, won't you? It'd be good training for enemies you have disadvantage against, eh? (Not to mention Awakening mode which should let you get in some Critical Hits regardless.)

EDIT:

I guess so then... Well, good thing I love Freddy enough to practice a lot with him! But I see.

As for the image, I guess staves aren't counted as weapons then, because Lissa will be both an axe wielder and a healer.

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, this can easily be mitigated if we include more Lancers. We only are seeing sword users and now we have two axe users, and one magic user. That's only about what, 11 characters so far? We still have a lot more units to fill in here.

I can only hope there will be plenty of lance wielders then, yeah. Hinoka, Oboro, one of the Shadow Dragon Pegs, Camus, whoever! :P

I guess so then... Well, good thing I love Freddy enough to practice a lot with him! But I see.

As for the image, I guess staves aren't counted as weapons then, because Lissa will be both an axe wielder and a healer.

We already knew that the staves were counted as items. So yeah.

I can only hope there will be plenty of lance wielders then, yeah. Hinoka, Oboro, one of the Shadow Dragon Pegs, Camus, whoever! :P

Exactly. We've gotten about 8 sword users so far:

• Two Main characters
  • Marth
  • Lucina
  • Chrom
  • Corrin
  • Xander
  • Ryoma

From what I hear, there should be at least 30 units in this game, right? So add in about 8 lancers, 8 axe users, and we still have 6 units left, one being Robin, a magic user.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Exactly. We've gotten about 8 sword users so far:

• Two Main characters
  • Marth
  • Lucina
  • Chrom
  • Corrin
  • Xander
  • Ryoma

From what I hear, there should be at least 30 units in this game, right? So add in about 8 lancers, 8 axe users, and we still have 6 units left, one being Robin, a magic user.

30 sounds about right yeah. At the very least, I expect more than 25.

3 minutes ago, Folt said:

EDIT:

Huh, that makes Robin's situation a bit more interesting then since we know he can use the Levin Sword alongside his magic. So either secondary weapons are included in the moveset and just play a small part, or the Levin Sword is just being treated as a magical weapon for some reason.

It does allow for some potential leeway with class overlap since you can focus on one weapon type over another (ex. Caeda uses swords and Cordelia uses lances, or Camilla uses magic while Minerva uses axes), but we'll see how that goes.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's supposed to be like Hyrule Warriors, right? I heard that game had about 30 or so characters. 

Not at the beginning (only 13 characters). But FE Warriors is going to feature more characters than any other first Musou game. (And the current highest First Musou had it's roster at 18-20 at launch or so.)

Just now, Folt said:

Not at the beginning (only 13 characters). But FE Warriors is going to feature more characters than any other first Musou game. (And the current highest First Musou had it's roster at 18-20 at launch or so.)

I see. Oh dear, then I worry for the remaining characters. Cause I have little doubt that Ike and Roy have to be in this series, and Tiki is likely a character as well. Ike and Roy have amiibos, and this game is amiibo compatible. No way would they ignore Ike and Roy from this game. And since Tiki's amiibo is coming out, its only natural that Tiki is in the game.

3 minutes ago, Folt said:

Yeah, this. HW only reached 30 characters with the 3DS game and DLC. The Wii U version never got that full roster, which I was always mad about. I never bought the 3DS version because I already had the Wii U version and I wasn't going to buy the same game again for another system.

I know I did this very thing with Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but there was a bigger timeframe between the two, and I like most of the additions the latter makes, plus being able to play it anywhere on the Switch is nice. And for HW, the additions to the 3DS version were mostly DLC. I don't get why the DLC couldn't be available for Wii U too.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this. HW only reached 30 characters with the 3DS game and DLC. The Wii U version never got that full roster, which I was always mad about. I never bought the 3DS version because I already had the Wii U version and I wasn't going to buy the same game again for another system.

I know I did this very thing with Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but there was a bigger timeframe between the two, and I like most of the additions the latter makes, plus being able to play it anywhere on the Switch is nice.

There's DLC for the Legends and Legends DLC characters you know?

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I see. Oh dear, then I worry for the remaining characters. Cause I have little doubt that Ike and Roy have to be in this series, and Tiki is likely a character as well. Ike and Roy have amiibos, and this game is amiibo compatible. No way would they ignore Ike and Roy from this game. And since Tiki's amiibo is coming out, its only natural that Tiki is in the game.

Well, I don't think Roy or Ike are likely to be in at base. DLC, yeah, but I don't think they'll be in at base.

Tiki is a very natural Shadow Dragon rep and her amiibo was made with this game in mind.

Duh? I just mentioned that in the very post you quoted?

It's a bit strange to say the Wii U version never got the full 30 characters when they're all awailable as DLC, you know.

4 minutes ago, Folt said:

It's a bit strange to say the Wii U version never got the full 30 characters when they're all awailable as DLC, you know.

No it isn't. Because it's true. Legends was only for 3DS and had DLC only for it. The Wii U version didn't get the TWW characters or MM Link or Marin or any of them. I didn't care for MM or TWW as games, but I would've liked Medli, Marin, and Ravio.

Edited by Anacybele

No it isn't. Because it's true. Legends was only for 3DS and had DLC only for it. The Wii U version didn't get the TWW characters or MM Link or Marin or any of them. I didn't care for MM or TWW as games, but I would've liked Medli, Marin, and Ravio.

They did, actually. What it didn't get was the Adventure Maps. (And the freakin' awesome recolors!)