Stumbled upon this, is it true? Or they were joking?

Awyn Würde

Fun fact: Originally, Awakening was planned to take place on Mars. Intelligent Systems wanted to try to put aside the medieval theme to give it a much more modern look. However, the idea was scrapped. The name was Fire Emblem Awakening Gaiden: MARS. Source: Yusuke Kozaki

Somewhat joke, somewhat serious. What it likely happened was it was talked about in early meetings on what Awakening would be. Early concepts in such, before the game even had its first concept arts put together type of thing. None of the characters of Awakening even existed during these meetings kind of thing.

Edited by Tolvir

I wouldn't mind it either. But I think it'd be better for IS to drop the FE title and give it its own identity, even if it was very heavily based on Fire Emblem. That way, the game isn't quite so burdened with awkwardly fitting modern/sci-fi tech into FE gameplay.

I think generally in the pitch stage one of the ideas is "throw around concepts and expect most of them to be tossed". Some person really liked Mars I guess.