Every single FE Lord is a war criminal

Icelerate

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

The 'You couldn't stand playing this game for long enough to take the Clerics out too' award or the 'You're playing this game waaaaay too realistically and have personal issues with killing off the unarmed Clerics' award? XD

Both or none! :D:

Good Medieval fantasy games better not care for our softy Geneva Conventions codes. These lords should be more vicious than they look, anything like killing enemy healers is a plus for that. I'm kidding, but you know I'm right.

I have actually wanted a map thats sort of like this, where the bad guys conscript villagers who are earnest and do want to kill you, and you get a reward for capturing instead of killing them, or something.

I'll admit to being so adamant about obliterating the enemy army that it feels off when I can't kill the healers, like in the Khadein chapter in Mystery of the Emblem in which you lose a handy item if you murder them.

If there's no tangible downside to massacring them, you can bet I will. Oh, the sweet, sweet experience. Some of the games may give you less exp for unarmed clerics, but often it's the other way around.

Actually, can we have a story that features an actual anti-hero lord? (No, Corrin in Nohr does not count...unless you are talking about my LP's Corrin in Chapter 13...) And you have options to kill or not to kill certain enemies. The former option is easier to clear the chapter (and may net you with some rewards), but some of the chapters thereafter will become more difficult as now enemies will fight more desperately and potential allies - being disturbed/traumatised by your previous atrocity - are more hesitant to help your cause, or may even turn against you. The latter option is the reverse.

1 hour ago, blah the Prussian said:

I have actually wanted a map thats sort of like this, where the bad guys conscript villagers who are earnest and do want to kill you, and you get a reward for capturing instead of killing them, or something.

The chapter in which you recruit Zihark in PoR does that with a bunch of BEXP per vigilante that you don't kill. Same with the enemy soldiers in Geoffrey's Charge in part 2 in RD, although neither game has any kind of capture mechanic, of course.

25 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Actually, can we have a story that features an actual anti-hero lord? (No, Corrin in Nohr does not count...unless you are talking about my LP's Corrin in Chapter 13...) And you have options to kill or not to kill certain enemies. The former option is easier to clear the chapter (and may net you with some rewards), but some of the chapters thereafter will become more difficult as now enemies will fight more desperately and potential allies - being disturbed/traumatised by your previous atrocity - are more hesitant to help your cause, or may even turn against you. The latter option is the reverse.

It'd be great, but I doubt we'll ever see an FE like that. Sounds more like SMT's thing.

1 hour ago, ping said:

The chapter in which you recruit Zihark in PoR does that with a bunch of BEXP per vigilante that you don't kill. Same with the enemy soldiers in Geoffrey's Charge in part 2 in RD, although neither game has any kind of capture mechanic, of course.

Yeah, the BEXP mechanic allowed for this to happen a lot. I'm surprised you didn't mention (what I think are) the most notable examples: the laguz in that desert chapter, and the priests in that... one... chapter (both in PoR). You know, the ones you have to shove to get past them (and then the leader guy attacks you, and you accidentally leave Boyd equipped with a short axe, so he kills him... seriously, how stupid can you be?). Of course, I think most people killed the laguz anyway, because the exp was worth about as much for killing them as the BEXP for not, and it made the chapter much less tedious. But that church chapter is a great example of when FE characters are explicitly against killing priests.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:43 AM, blah the Prussian said:

Isn't there a FE3 map like this? The one you recruit Sheema - all of her soldiers are level 1 scrubs mixed in with higher level enemies and you can't recruit Sheema if you kill any of them.

And yeah, FE9 used bonus experience for similar ideas: the low level vigilantes, the laguz bandits (although trying to not kill them AND get the treasure is basically impossible).

Either way, war crimes are distinctly a 20th century notion. I know this thread is joking, but its only fairly recently we've created rules for who we can and can not kill legally in a battle and how or how not it can be done.

Normally, this doesn't bugs me, because it isn't brought up in story, but one especially jarring Excemple to me is Hetzel in the following scenario:

6 Rounds have passed by and he has not Staves anymore.

You killed Lekain before him.

You attack him with Ike.

Now make Sense of this Boss Conversation:

Hetzel: Wait, please… I never wanted to fight… I’m here only because I was ordered.
Ike: Then surrender your weapon.

Me: What Weapon?
Hetzel: I-I cannot do that. I would fall into disgrace with Vice-Minister Lekain.

Me: That Guy is dead!
Ike: …

12 hours ago, CappnRob said:

Isn't there a FE3 map like this? The one you recruit Sheema - all of her soldiers are level 1 scrubs mixed in with higher level enemies and you can't recruit Sheema if you kill any of them.

Actually, that's FE12. In FE3, you could recruit Sheema and still kill her soldiers. This was fixed in the remake. Killing Sheena's soldiers in FE12 will make her an enemy, even if you had already recruited her.

3 hours ago, CappnRob said:

wow really

all this time i was told killing sheema's followers will prevent you from recruiting her in FE3

And that's true - but you can slaughter her followers after she joins without repercussion. In FE12, she will un-recruit herself if you do that.