Odd things people do/say that confuse me

Ronnie

When someone knocks on the door and the person says "it's open." Wouldn't it make more sense to say the door is unlocked? Technically the door is still closed.

Why do some people yawn very loudly? I swear it sounds like this but shorter. It is possible to yawn quietly.

Why do some people clap while laughing very hard? I do it sometimes too but I wonder if there's a reason for it? Like it isn't even applauding a comedian, it could be from watching a funny video or something.

My mom claps when laughing sometimes. She also gestures with her hands a lot of other times when she talks. Maybe it comes from applauding like you said, but people instinctively do it even if it's not a comedian to applaud?

Here's one from my friend: why do people say "annoying the hell out of somebody", or scaring the hell out of somebody, or whatever? Hell isn't in anybody. Hell is underground.

11 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Here's one from my friend: why do people say "annoying the hell out of somebody", or scaring the hell out of somebody, or whatever? Hell isn't in anybody. Hell is underground.

Actually, Hell is not a place. It’s an event. It’s where the Devil and the souls deemed wicked will be burned when Judgment Day comes.

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Actually, Hell is not a place. It’s an event. It’s where the Devil and the souls deemed wicked will be burned when Judgment Day comes.

Either way, it's not in anybody.

I always saw it as a place, like Heaven is a place and Hell is the opposite. But I'm not super religious.

By saying it's open it implies that it is metaphorically open without physically being open. In other words, people are welcome there no matter the physical status of the door.

This one I don't know. My dad yawns really loud... and sneezes loud... and blows his nose loud... and so do I really. Well, I suppose it's a combination of the body of the person themselves having to do something loud, as well as simply announcing their presence.

Well, it's simply respect, whether the one being respected knows it or not. If someone thinks something is exceptionally funny, they'll clap to further show how much they enjoyed it.

At least that is my interpretation.

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

There's really no reason to take an idiom so literally. You know what it means.

That being said, if you want a literal translation the best I can come up with is "scaring someone so they no longer sin/do evil."

7 minutes ago, Belisarius said:

There's really no reason to take an idiom so literally. You know what it means.

That being said, if you want a literal translation the best I can come up with is "scaring someone so they no longer sin/do evil."

I know, my friend was just joking, I'm pretty sure. I know I know what it means.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, Ronnie said:

When someone knocks on the door and the person says "it's open." Wouldn't it make more sense to say the door is unlocked? Technically the door is still closed.

Consider it like this: when they say "it's open", they mean the lock is open. 

Why do some people yawn very loudly? I swear it sounds like this but shorter. It is possible to yawn quietly.

I do that often too. I guess it's just instinct.

Why do some people clap while laughing very hard? I do it sometimes too but I wonder if there's a reason for it? Like it isn't even applauding a comedian, it could be from watching a funny video or something.

Again, instinct. I guess they just get overexcited which is why they automatically clap.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:22 AM, Darros said:

update reading this thread made me yawn im suing

Literally any post with the word "yawn" makes me yawn.