1. 1. The 2 Reavers

• Nolan
    • Boyd

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

They're both pretty good but I like Boyd a lot more. Nolan needs a hell of a lot of BEXP to catch up to Boyd. I use Nolan for his chapters but usually ditch him cause Boyd is usually so much higher and kickin ass. Boyd just kicks so much ass with the Greil Mercenaries and his artwork is just badass. Definately one of the best units in the game and he's my fave character. http://www.serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/e/boyd_en.png

I've used both of them now. It feels much safer with Boyd. Once he has catched speed, you always know he'll do good. I really don't think Nolan is as good as Boyd.

I totally agree with this. Nolan is so overrated. I think people only use him cause he has Earth affinity (I've never cared much for affinities but its probably useful on hard mode). Its weird how Nolan can be strength screwed (45 Strength growth?!) in a class that is known for its power. Nolan might cap more stats than Boyd but Boyd caps the important ones (HP, STR, DEF) and he's only a point or two away from capping SKL & SPD. Boyd's got the stats that a warrior should have. Play to his strengths and he is unbeatable.

Boyd can kick ass even earlier if you give him a speedwing. Make sure you get the speedwing from 2-3 and that Marcia is holding it before you end the chapter. In 2-E, trade it to Neph, Brom, Heather or Haar. When you get them back in 3-2 use the speedwing on Boyd. He should be able to double most of the enemies depending on how well he leveled up speed. Any enemy he can double is ORKOed (except generals but they're pretty close to dying). Boyd has the potential to be one of the best characters in the game and he has a lot of time to reach his max potential. I can't say enough good things about Boyd. He's just that damn good!

Nolan's low strength growth is. . . understandable. They already had a strength ramming Reaver. He runs base 12 strength, with two promos totaling +3 strength. And 45% with 48 levels gives him an average of 37.05. 5% more growth gives him an average of 39.5, and any more than 55% would make him a cap rammer.

45% is actually pretty good in previous FE titles. You're talking Eliwood type growth in it, which isn't half bad. Plus, he caps stats Warriors aren't traditionally known for quite early on, so if you're still getting screwed on strength, you can always attempt to fix it through BEXP levels.

I understand his defense isn't exactly stellar, but then again neither is Boyd's. Warriors have never had particularly good defense. Boyd maxes it on his own, but not until level 15 as a Reaver. Boyd's problem is that he's a slug. He's incredibly slow, and it takes monumental effort to fix that. Even on playthroughs I've used him, he had trouble double-attacking generals, for god's sake. Nolan on the other hand is as fast as Lyn in FE7. He's a little speed demon unless you're RNG hates you.

Honestly, the ONLY thing that Boyd truly has over Nolan is a) playtime, and b ) Oscar and Rolf.

edit: fucking emoticons :(

Edited by sandmanccl

Boyd's problem is that he's a slug. He's incredibly slow, and it takes monumental effort to fix that. Even on playthroughs I've used him, he had trouble double-attacking generals, for god's sake. Nolan on the other hand is as fast as Lyn in FE7. He's a little speed demon unless you're RNG hates you.

Boyd's speed is actually not hard to fix if you know what to do. You just need to give him a speedwing (or two depending on how slow he is) and one or two level ups in speed. Then he can double most if not all the enemies in 3-2 and his speed will just take off from there. He does one round every enemy that he doubles (except generals). He's obviously not the fastest character but he's still not that slow. Maybe I just had good luck with him, I dunno. I still like Boyd more than Nolan cause Nolan needs so much BEXP to make him good (I know he turns out good but my Boyd usually turns out a little better). They're both good anyways but Nolan's less playtime is unappealing to me (that goes for the rest of the DB).

I prefer giving my speedwings to units that it immediately makes better, and never two to the same guy unless I want shiney green numbers and we're already sitting at end-game. I also can't pick when the game decides to give me that level up in speed. Just because it happens on average every 2 to 3 level ups doesn't mean it'll come on the first of those.

I also find the BEXP argument kind of pointless. You get 10 units you're going to bring end-game and if you want to take someone along, I don't see any compelling argument why you wouldn't give the majority of your BEXP to those 10 units + the ones you're required to bring end-game. Besides, on average, Boyd is pretty damn good because while Boyd is doing more damage a hit if they use equivalent weapons, Nolan is hitting twice and with a more powerful weapon that also boosts his defense into the "pretty damn good" zone.

Don't get me wrong. Boyd is awesome and I've used him end-game twice now, but I think the reason I like him is because I like Rolf a whooooole lot. Rolf, Boyd, and Oscar should always be used together because guaranteed criticals makes end-game a joke, even on hard mode.

Nolan is much better. He joins as the best on the team in a hard part of the game. In other words, he's extremely helpful. He also has w1n spd and beastly avoid, making his offense and defense very good. Boyd, on the other hand, joins with most of the other units better than him, and his spd is lacking throughout, so he rarely double-attacks, making for meh offense, and his defense isn't too good either: He has a nice def growth, but a rather poor base, and he has low avoid.

Edited by Reikken

They're both pretty good but I like Boyd a lot more. Nolan needs a hell of a lot of BEXP to catch up to Boyd. I use Nolan for his chapters but usually ditch him cause Boyd is usually so much higher and kickin ass. Boyd just kicks so much ass with the Greil Mercenaries and his artwork is just badass. Definately one of the best units in the game and he's my fave character. http://www.serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/e/boyd_en.png

I don't know why you have to bring this up but necroposting is REALLY annoying. I'm closing my topic now. kthx.