Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

17 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm on it.

1. Shadow (the hedgehog)
  2. Shadow and Interceptor (FF6)
  3. Shadow (just a random heartless from Kingdom Hearts)
  4. Shadow Kanji (Persona 4)
  5. Shadow (the golden retriever from Homeward Bound)
  6. Shadow Man (Mega Man 3)
  7. The Shadow from Detective Story Magazines
  8. Shadowcat (X-Men)

Oh you cheating bastard, only 5 of those are legit!

16 hours ago, Etheus said:

Also, if we're talking about representative icons, here's a fun challenge (meant in jest): find me a more iconic elderly game character than Cranky. There are dozens of women on the cover of games, but how many senile, crotchety old geezers do we have? 

There's this SOB

220px-Heihachi_Mishima_(T7).png

So I've been thinking about the DK rep & I'm not really sure why they can't put pretty much the DK crew.

Cranky got his pogo stick

Tiny got her hair & she's kick chick. I would ever argue she more unique than Dixie

Lanky is pretty gimmicky with his elastic abilities

Funky can easily be DK's echo. I used to think Chunky should be DK's echo but Funky's cooler & more memeable.

And the more or less most requested DK character after K.Rool, Dixie Kong.

So after those 5 choices, I don't really see who else should be in the game from the DK series.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Oh you cheating bastard, only 5 of those are legit!

Well then, to get three more, there's Shadow Link (from Zelda), Shadow the Dog (from Wario Ware) and Shadow from American Gods.

3 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Found an interesting Reddit post about the mural.

Reveal hidden contents

apparently the mural has a lot of edits, so much so that if it's fake its probably going to be one of the best 

This is partly why I've been leaning towards this leak being real.

Recreating the mural in such a way is waaaaaaaaay more effort than I've seen in just about any other game-related leak that turned out to be fake.

Especially when the usual Smash leak is generally "Hey guys, my uncle at Nintendo snapped this picture of the character select screen of the full game."

Edited by Slumber

@Randoman well, CoroCoro's gone back to saying 103 stages so that remains to be seen

Spoiler

Besides, i don't think Geno would come with a stage due to there being a multitude of Mario stages already.

48 minutes ago, Slumber said:

This is partly why I've been leaning towards this leak being real.

Recreating the mural in such a way is waaaaaaaaay more effort than I've seen in just about any other game-related leak that turned out to be fake.

Especially when the usual Smash leak is generally "Hey guys, my uncle at Nintendo snapped this picture of the character select screen of the full game."

That said, it is possible to do that. If there's even a 1% chance that a leak was fake, then we have to take all leaks with a grain of salt.

On the opposite side, ArtsyOmni's been arguing some pretty interesting points against the leak. He says that a good thing to do would be to take all official versions of the banner art and erase the characters, line them up and look to where the supposed faker would have to paint in the remaining parts on his own. "If the discrepancies between the leak banner background and the official background from E3 only exist in the remaining areas that are not resolved by layering the banners with the characters erased, then it establishes an extremely compelling correlation."

And according to him, that is the case. Errors in the leaked banner (such as the cloud smear or half of the waterfall missing) seem to exist only in places where someone would've had to paint in the remaining areas.

I don't know if i'm explaining it properly so i'll link to the actual thread+some other relevant stuff.

https://mobile.twitter.com/artsyomni/status/1055956194232295424

https://mobile.twitter.com/artsyomni/status/1055977673388933120

https://mobile.twitter.com/artsyomni/status/1055984200694857729

https://mobile.twitter.com/Trisepta_777/status/1055992324222787584

Of course, you could say that the artwork has changed since E3, which is possible as artwork can change over time. However, that's usually done to make the artwork better. In the case of the leaked banner, it's actually worse and it's not because of the glorious 144p resolution.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And according to him, that is the case. Errors in the leaked banner (such as the cloud smear or half of the waterfall missing) seem to exist only in places where someone would've had to paint in the remaining areas.

Wouldn't that be something the official artist would do?

16 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Wouldn't that be something the official artist would do?

Except not really. The way the banner works is that the background is one layer and each individual fighter is their own layer. That's how they are able to easily move the fighters whenever a new one gets added. Because of that, there's no reason to paint the remaining areas because it's always gonna be there. UNLESS you were unaware that an official empty version of the banner existed when creating the fake. No reference material means you have to fill in some parts yourself.

But even if they did, it still doesn't explain errors like the cloud being smeared or half of the waterfall being missing.

Edited by Armagon

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well then, to get three more, there's Shadow Link (from Zelda), Shadow the Dog (from Wario Ware) and Shadow from American Gods.

You can't just say Shadow Link, that's like saying Dark Link is his first name instead of an adjective.

So, no talk about the new item announcement?

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/27/nintendo-shows-off-new-smash-bros-ultimate-item-that-may-hint-at-a-newcomer/

Is just a placeholder that would've been better served by a question mark? Or is a Golden Sun item? Is it a Floro Sprout, Dimentio?

If it was a GS item, then what I'd guess it'd do is that when thrown, if it comes into contact with the ground, it suddenly sprouts into a bunch of tall, spiky briars that deal damage.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/27/nintendo-shows-off-new-smash-bros-ultimate-item-that-may-hint-at-a-newcomer/

Is just a placeholder that would've been better served by a question mark? Or is a Golden Sun item? Is it a Floro Sprout, Dimentio?

If it was a GS item, then what I'd guess it'd do is that when thrown, if it comes into contact with the ground, it suddenly sprouts into a bunch of tall, spiky briars that deal damage.

I've talked to death about it on Smash Boards already, more than anything else haha.

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

This whole thread is an interesting read. 

Interesting thread though it does feel a bit conspiracy theory-ish. Some of the predictions they've gotten right aren't all that impressive (Ridley and Isabelle are easy guesses) though the part about FF is interesting. They've also gotten plenty of predictions wrong too. A few months ago, they predicted the likelyhood of Wii U games being ported to Switch and they said Captain Toad wouldn't get ported and then it did. On the flip end, they said Xenoblade X would most likely get ported but then Tetsuya Takahashi of Monolith Soft recently was like "yeah i still want it to happen but it ain't happening right now".

It's probably all just coincidence but i'll keep an eye out.

I do think it is strange that they haven't discusses the Grinch leak though i kinda figure they'll just get around to it eventually.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A lot of people are saying it confirms Isaac but i disagree because if that was the case, then Villager would've been in Brawl (and no, he was never supposed to be in Brawl, he was only considered).

Still, it's be interesting to see what it actually ends up being.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Interesting thread though it does feel a bit conspiracy theory-ish. Some of the predictions they've gotten right aren't all that impressive (Ridley and Isabelle are easy guesses) though the part about FF is interesting. They've also gotten plenty of predictions wrong too. A few months ago, they predicted the likelyhood of Wii U games being ported to Switch and they said Captain Toad wouldn't get ported and then it did. On the flip end, they said Xenoblade X would most likely get ported but then Tetsuya Takahashi of Monolith Soft recently was like "yeah i still want it to happen but it ain't happening right now".

It's probably all just coincidence but i'll keep an eye out.

I do think it is strange that they haven't discusses the Grinch leak though i kinda figure they'll just get around to it eventually.

We're reaching Alex Jones levels of conspiracy theories. I've got to admit, I'm leaning into believing the leak.

Edited by Captain Karnage

People are saying that the image of the leaked banner is a wristband. I don't doubt that some of the background details have been removed to make the characters stand out. Also, this is a Snapchat image, and Snapchat apparently has poor quality anyway, the the blur is going to cover up any small background details. I don't doubt ArtsiOmni knows his stuff, but he's comparing a HD wall display to a tiny wristband.

It's interesting to note that the apparent 'insiders' are still confused as to why Incineroar isn't there. It's possible he was just a red herring to weed out leakers, and we know that Nintendo does this - Xander Mobus, the announcer for Smash 4 and Ultimate, has stated in the past that he doesn't know the full roster because Nintendo has him read out a variety of names to hide it from him.

I dunno, if the company this leaker works at hasn't spoken up by Monday, I'm going all in on believing this leak. Right now, I'm 75% in favour of it being real, sooo....who knows?

6 hours ago, Lau said:

People are saying that the image of the leaked banner is a wristband. I don't doubt that some of the background details have been removed to make the characters stand out. Also, this is a Snapchat image, and Snapchat apparently has poor quality anyway, the the blur is going to cover up any small background details. I don't doubt ArtsiOmni knows his stuff, but he's comparing a HD wall display to a tiny wristband.

Interesting you mention this because ArtsyOmni actually brings it up. He says that it being a wristband doesn't matter because the banner is made in a way that it can loop around seamlessly. That's why the banner on the official website can keep scrolling indefinitly seamlessly.

And once again, i believe he's stated that there are some errors on the leaked banner that can't be explained by "oh, it was Snapchat so the quality was bad".

More evidence in favor of the leak

Some one is about to get fired, like out of a cannon into the sun kind of fired

Edit I'm on mobile

vEYOFyb.png  

Edited by Captain Karnage

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

A lot of people are saying it confirms Isaac but i disagree because if that was the case, then Villager would've been in Brawl (and no, he was never supposed to be in Brawl, he was only considered).

These pre-release demos that get into the hands of the public at events are very well curated and deliberately put together.

Things aren't in there if the devs don't want them in there. A GS item being the sole new item(As far as we know) in an event build like this is probably pointing to something.

33 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

More evidence in favor of the leak

Some one is about to get fired, like out of a cannon into the sun kind of fired

Edit I'm on mobile

Reveal hidden contents

vEYOFyb.png  

Or he could have just ponied up the necessary cash and everyone in the work place would let him do his thing without giving a shit.

18 minutes ago, Florete said:

Or he could have just ponied up the necessary cash and everyone in the work place would let him do his thing without giving a shit.

?????

Anyways, I’m fairly sure this Eric guy probably isn’t the actual leaker but rather a careless casualty who unintentionally let his resources get into the wrong hands. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

These pre-release demos that get into the hands of the public at events are very well curated and deliberately put together.

Things aren't in there if the devs don't want them in there. A GS item being the sole new item(As far as we know) in an event build like this is probably pointing to something.

Nah, not really. Again, items don't really confirm any newcomers because if they did, we would've had a lot more characters now.

Then there's also this

sprout4.jpg

So it could just be a placeholder icon for now. We'll likely find out soon anyway.

43 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'm on Team Fake but even this explanation is bullshit. That just makes no sense. I don't think companies would ever allow someone to goof off when they could be doing actual work instead.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm on Team Fake but even this explanation is bullshit. That just makes no sense. I don't think companies would ever allow someone to goof off when they could be doing actual work instead.

Do you work? Everyone gets down time. Hell, with the amount of dedication he would need for everything else, he could easily come in on an off day to do something like this.