Aspiration vs Being a Lazy Bum

SSP

So occasionally I go all theoretical or whatever and make posts like these. I made this one on another forum just now, and I figured I'd pass it on.

I don't know about some of you guys, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have a future, and plus maintain myself for such a future. I make sure I eat well, stay fit, and get healthy amounts of face-to-face social interaction with people every day, whether it be through school, drama, TV studio/radio, parties, theater camp, and so on and so forth. Of course, responsibility's an important factor too. I like to be a responsible person.

Those are just the basics, though. What I treasure most are my aspirations for the future. I want to be able to go to college and pursue something in communications or in the general media field because it's something I'm talented at. From cinematography to acting to being a TV/radio show anchor...it just feels like there's an overwhelming about of possibilities. I find it absolutely fascinating, and I'm excited to be able to go to college and pursue something I feel such dedication towards. I've always wanted to get out there to an extent (be famous? nah) and do something recognizable, and a career (particularly in communications, at least to me) is the way to go for that. And it's just...holy shit. It's certainly better than sitting around here sometimes and feeling bored on those days I'm stuck at home and have absolutely nothing I can do.

This weekend I was sorting through video games...and it seems I'm getting rid of half of them or so. That's a start, at least...I DO feel video games are something of an impediment to my going forward in life, which makes it difficult for me to actually want to play them sometimes (unless it's a really good game or a childhood classic). Playing video games is how I spent my time years ago, and quite frankly it just doesn't feel like a step in the right direction.

That's just from my perspective. However, what I see from other people worries me a lot more. I see people my age who have dropped out of school, I see people my age doing nothing; hell, I see people my age sitting on their lazy asses doing who knows what and expecting their parents to take care of them to their deathbeds.

I don't understand it. How the hell can people actually CHOOSE to live that way? It's absolutely ridiculous. Life isn't a damned Twinkie fest.

I'm not exactly the most responsible person in the world, that's for sure...though I certainly make an effort. Yet even when I'm hardly making an effort to be responsible it's hard to avoid thinking about all of those people who refuse to do the simplest thing, and instead indulge themselves in solitude with watching TV playing video games and eating junk food and whatnot. That sure doesn't get anything accomplished, does it? It just doesn't make sense to me how a person could actually tolerate that kind of self-centered, irresponsible living style. Of course, once it sets in after childhood, it's become something natural and it's VERY hard to develop out of it; the early years are those most representative of change in human behaviors. At my not-so-ripe old age of 16, it's pretty tough to change without a CONSTANT effort, which brings on CONSTANT responsibilities. The transition from no responsibilities to having them constantly is overwhelming.

My mom can be pretty strict sometimes, but it's something I'm glad for. She taught me that great virtue of responsibility...which in essence leads to desire for an education, a life outside of what's conventional, productive hobbies, being with friends, taking walks, studying the world around...all of those sorts of freedoms we live for. That's the way people are supposed to live life.

That's what all comes to mind when I see those kids drop out because they're too lazy to care about an education. They're too lazy to even think for a second about what their useful interests are and instead are fixated on the remote in the right hand, the food in the left, and the TV straight ahead. How could anyone want to live like that?

Edited by SSP

So occasionally I go all theoretical or whatever and make posts like these. I made this one on another forum just now, and I figured I'd pass it on.

I don't know about some of you guys, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have a future, and plus maintain myself for such a future. I make sure I eat well, stay fit, and get healthy amounts of face-to-face social interaction with people every day, whether it be through school, drama, TV studio/radio, parties, theater camp, and so on and so forth. Of course, responsibility's an important factor too. I like to be a responsible person.

Those are just the basics, though. What I treasure most are my aspirations for the future. I want to be able to go to college and pursue something in communications or in the general media field because it's something I'm talented at. From cinematography to acting to being a TV/radio show anchor...it just feels like there's an overwhelming about of possibilities. I find it absolutely fascinating, and I'm excited to be able to go to college and pursue something I feel such dedication towards. I've always wanted to get out there to an extent (be famous? nah) and do something recognizable, and a career (particularly in communications, at least to me) is the way to go for that. And it's just...holy shit. It's certainly better than sitting around here sometimes and feeling bored on those days I'm stuck at home and have absolutely nothing I can do.

This weekend I was sorting through video games...and it seems I'm getting rid of half of them or so. That's a start, at least...I DO feel video games are something of an impediment to my going forward in life, which makes it difficult for me to actually want to play them sometimes (unless it's a really good game or a childhood classic). Playing video games is how I spent my time years ago, and quite frankly it just doesn't feel like a step in the right direction.

That's just from my perspective. However, what I see from other people worries me a lot more. I see people my age who have dropped out of school, I see people my age doing nothing; hell, I see people my age sitting on their lazy asses doing who knows what and expecting their parents to take care of them to their deathbeds.

I don't understand it. How the hell can people actually CHOOSE to live that way? It's absolutely ridiculous. Life isn't a damned Twinkie fest.

I'm not exactly the most responsible person in the world, that's for sure...though I certainly make an effort. Yet even when I'm hardly making an effort to be responsible it's hard to avoid thinking about all of those people who refuse to do the simplest thing, and instead indulge themselves in solitude with watching TV playing video games and eating junk food and whatnot. That sure doesn't get anything accomplished, does it? It just doesn't make sense to me how a person could actually tolerate that kind of self-centered, irresponsible living style. Of course, once it sets in after childhood, it's become something natural and it's VERY hard to develop out of it; the early years are those most representative of change in human behaviors. At my not-so-ripe old age of 16, it's pretty tough to change without a CONSTANT effort, which brings on CONSTANT responsibilities. The transition from no responsibilities to having them constantly is overwhelming.

My mom can be pretty strict sometimes, but it's something I'm glad for. She taught me that great virtue of responsibility...which in essence leads to desire for an education, a life outside of what's conventional, productive hobbies, being with friends, taking walks, studying the world around...all of those sorts of freedoms we live for. That's the way people are supposed to live life.

That's what all comes to mind when I see those kids drop out because they're too lazy to care about an education. They're too lazy to even think for a second about what their useful interests are and instead are fixated on the remote in the right hand, the food in the left, and the TV straight ahead. How could anyone want to live like that?

Lol. It makes them happy. They feel good. That is their reasoning. I know perfectly content people who almost never do a thing in their lives. It's really all based on the person. I like doing stuff. But I can have fun doing nothing.

I've read hypothetical suggestions that if the amount of time some Americans and Canadians invest in watching television were redirected, these people could learn a new Romance language to fair fluency each year. Because of my own positive experiences and my having read about the experiences of a variety self motivated individuals, I've come to believe that this may be very a realistic claim. This doesn't directly tie into what you've said, but I think it's interesting to point out.

I don't have much a basis on which to state reasons why some people may spend spare time in lazy pursuits, but I can try to speculate anyways. A lack of motivation or interest is likely involved for at least few. I'm inclined towards autodidactism because many of my interests demand the acquisition of new skills and I have a biased disposition against classroom environments. Other people, however, may not see the allure of learning a new language if they've no interest in traveling, they may not see any benefit to learning to cook well when many meals can be microwaved, or they may believe it's too difficult to write a decent novel. In addition, the social acceptability of watching television each day likely plays a role. There may be little in some peoples' environments to inspire engaging in pursuits outside of school, work, and or family life. As ZXValaRevan said, they may very well be content with what they have available to them.

I'm not experienced enough to make any speculations about the most likely motives of those who choose to drop out of school.

Edited by Wist

It's just difficult for me to understand why people would never even attempt to do something different or even think about what they're interested besides the easy answer of sitting in one room at home and doing a very nonproductive activity and shutting themselves off to education by all doors. And then you have the extreme cases in which some become so...lacking...in responsibility that it results in dependency, selfishness, and the expectation of being tended to. That's really bad.

I suppose part of it's my bias regarding the importance of productivity.

It's just difficult for me to understand why people would never even attempt to do something different or even think about what they're interested besides the easy answer of sitting in one room at home and doing a very nonproductive activity and shutting themselves off to education by all doors. And then you have the extreme cases in which some become so...lacking...in responsibility that it results in dependency, selfishness, and the expectation of being tended to. That's really bad.

I suppose part of it's my bias regarding the importance of productivity.

Again. For someone who's greatest joy is sitting in front of the TV while shoveling food down their throat, why would they do anything different?

Many people ask why some people spend their whole lives working with no time for leisure. The difference is simply in what people enjoy/find pleasure in.

exept for the what you want to be i agree, i used to bit like really fit when i was 10-12 then i got lazy, when i was 14 i got tired of being lazy, now (15) i try to do some work out every day, like yesterday i ran 2 miles (ran not walked) and today i did 300 sit-ups, but i still think i play too mary video games though...

I think I might be a good person to help you understand this, if you want to understand it. I have dropped out of high school, not gone to college even though I am perfectly able in every way, I just haven't, so I think I might be "a lazy bum".

Why do I live this way? Because it is what makes me happy. I don't need the new car or the nice house with the pretty fence, I don't need the simple well paying job, I don't need the large circle of friends and family. I simply live my life how I see fit, I am not homeless, I have friends, I am just like other people. The only real difference is what we want.

You may not understand why I would want to live in a different way than you, and I doubt I completely understand why someone would live like you, the difference here is that I understand that there is no problem with either. We have a few short years in this world, we should do what makes us happy no matter if it's living in a mansion with a large family or living under a bridge with a lover. I don't want to demean you, but in all honesty at 16 years of age I don't expect many people to understand things like this, but don't worry, it all comes in time.

Also.. if we're on the subject of weight, I have no damned idea why some people let themselves get so fat. I mean food might be good, but not having a mass of health problems is way better.