Shenmue: The Saga Begins Again

Zapp Branniglenn

He shall appear from a far eastern land from across the sea. A young man who has yet to know his potential. This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will. His courage shall determine his fate. The path he must traverse fraught with adversity. I await whilst praying. For this destiny, predetermined since ancient times. A pitch black night folds with the morning star as its only light. And thus the saga begins.

So I pulled myself away for just a moment from the game to tell you guys about Shenmue. The classic series, cut short in its prime, that fans have willed back into being. Finally released in 1999 after five years of painstaking development, Shenmue is one of the most ambitious franchises in the history of gaming. A narrative told continually game to game about a young man seeking answers about his father's murder in a photorealistic world not unlike our own. Real life brands appeared on items in the world, and the characters were animated using the same motion capture technology as in Virtua Fighter 2 (the first game to use motion capture technology). To have Shenmue 1 and 2 reappear on modern systems is truly a treat. Owed to the series' renewed interest in the wake of Shenmue 3's development, having these games back in an accessible format may prove a greater boon than the long awaited sequel.

#ShenmueSaved

Now I'm sure some of you are ready and waiting to tell me about how you're unimpressed with history or how you're more interested in your Xenosaga chronicles and that's fine. This is a thread for people experiencing the wonders of this legendary franchise.