Underrated, underappreciated, or just plain forgotten units

Corrobin

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I can't say I remember the last time I remembered Sully and Clive existed.

Clive was the free hero on the first TT I played. I found him really awesome in that, not realizing TT bonus units also get bonus stats. :0

Since then I gave him swordbreaker3 and combined with his high defense he's always dependable whenever I encounter multiple sword in arena assault at least.

14 hours ago, Kaden said:

@Stroud, you're really tempting me into making Athena my next merge project. The worst part about it is that I've summoned +Atk, +Spd, and +Def Athenas where their banes are -Res or -HP. I was planning on building a +Def, -Res one for high speed, defense shenanigans, but +Atk, -Res seems a bit more practical and then there's this build with Shield Pulse on her that like other Pavise, Shield Pulse users, Karla, Linus, and Raven come to mind as the biggest exploiters because of their weapons and stat spreads, wants high, raw offenses to make up for the fact they aren't using an offensive special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yae8coDoHJ0.

Saw that video, truly impressive, That Shield Pulse Athena looks phenomenal. If I get my hands on this skill I may consider giving it to Athena If I don't have better use for it.
It is not an easy decision. My experience with Def+ Athena was pretty awesome. She has enough bulk with the right Seal to do some GHB Solo, it is only limited to certain ones, but it is possible with her. But that Shield Pulse built just looks awesome. And with my Boon/Bane now I could pull it off. But I think Atk+/Res- is a bit better than Atk+/HP- on "Speedtanks".

You mentioned Bartre, the funny thing is that I built a Bartre to celebrate my Karla which I got one time and to make more use of her Even Speed Wave I decided to built a Speed+ Bartre. together with her he can reach over 40 Speed, I am still waiting for HP/Speed seal, which would be just perfect for him. The awesome thing about that is that he can survive some mages and double Zelgius (depending on built). He was the beginning of my quest to make apparently slow units as fast as possible. Of course Raven/Linus do a better job at this, but where is the fun. And Bartre has more HP to catch 1 hit. 

Oboro

She has doing great for me since the beginning of the game and keep doing amazing, yet, for both players and IntSys, is like if she´s just there to be exchanged for feathers

19 hours ago, Kaden said:

Rebecca falls under I like her art, especially since like Ogma, her special art is different.

Incidentally, Jagen and I think Gunter also use different Special Trigger art, though their art style is a touch more of an acquired taste for me.

Anyways, I realized I've got a fairly SI'd Palla that I'll be adding here once I get fodder to give her a better weapon, I never really got anything out of Gem Weaponry so I usually either ignored anyone with one or swapped their weapon out. Unfortunately, I've only ever been willing to get rid of a 5S Unit for fodder once, Peri, so for the most part said weapon swaps are incomplete since they're missing the + version of the weapon. Palla will be the first to get a + Weapon foddered to her so I might as well celebrate by adding her here! I'm not sure whether to go Slaying Edge or Wo Dao, though, so suggestions are appreciated I guess.

Edited by SoulWeaver

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Incidentally, Jagen and I think Gunter also use different Special Trigger art, though their art style is a touch more of an acquired taste for me.

Currently, everything by Yamada Akihiro (Jagen, Gunter, Ogma, Zephiel) and Hoshino Lily (Rebecca) have four fully unique artworks.

19 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Anyways, I realized I've got a fairly SI'd Palla that I'll be adding here once I get fodder to give her a better weapon, I never really got anything out of Gem Weaponry so I usually either ignored anyone with one or swapped their weapon out. Unfortunately, I've only ever been willing to get rid of a 5S Unit for fodder once, Peri, so for the most part said weapon swaps are incomplete since they're missing the + version of the weapon. Palla will be the first to get a + Weapon foddered to her so I might as well celebrate by adding her here! I'm not sure whether to go Slaying Edge or Wo Dao, though, so suggestions are appreciated I guess.

I haven't tested her out in arena extensively, but my +spd/-HP Palla has been running Wo Dao speed refine, Moonbow, L&D, Renewal, Goad Fliers, and as far as PVE content goes, I kind of wish I'd just gone for the meme set of Slaying Edge + Desperation. She performs perfectly well and can survive fine, just occasionally needing to kite, but I think there's been a grand total of like 3 times were the +10 damage actually netted her a kill that a normal moonbow wouldn't have. Once I get a more synergistic team caught up to her merge level (incidentally, she was my first +10), I'm going to test her out in arena more, but based on my current experience, I'd lean a little toward Slaying Edge.

Speaking of the White Wings, I feel like Catria is another candidate for underappreciated units. She can be surprisingly bulky and still have fairly good damage output thanks to specials and a pretty decent speed stat letting her be a pretty solid mixed-phase lance flier.

Edited by bottlegnomes

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

But I think Atk+/Res- is a bit better than Atk+/HP- on "Speedtanks".

I think it depends. On someone with good mixed bulk like Camilla, Libra, and Selena, taking -HP would be better than taking -Def or -Res since they can just rely on their raw defenses, defense buffs, and weapon refinery to cover for their lowered HP. Nephenee can work with -HP over -Res too since her defense and unique refined Dauntless Lance's Steady Posture would let her have high enough defense that letting keep neutral resistance and buffing it would let her tank more than just physical units more easily. Moving on, for specific builds or if you mainly want your unit to focus on dealing with one damage type where in this case would be physical damage, then yes, -Res would be better than -HP. The Pavise, L&D3, Shield Pulse, Flashing/Heavy Blade build is one of those.

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

Saw that video, truly impressive, That Shield Pulse Athena looks phenomenal. If I get my hands on this skill I may consider giving it to Athena If I don't have better use for it.

As I noted, Pavise, L&D3, Shield Pulse, and Flashing/Heavy Blade are exploited the most by Karla, Linus, and Raven because of their weapons, mainly the -1 special cooldown count effect and L&D3 for Linus and Raven, and stat spreads. F!Corrin can also make good use of it with this build using Dark Breath+, Sacred Cowl, and Distant Counter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYebRkw_BP4.

As damage reduction specials work by percentage, HP becomes more valuable than defense and resistance. In the case of Aegis, Pavise, and Divine Tyrfing, the corresponding defensive stat is worth half as much as HP. It's why you see people saying you should take -Res on Seliph and Sigurd. Doesn't mean you couldn't take -Spd on Seliph depending on what you want to do with him. With the Pavise, L&D3, and Shield Pulse build on Karla, Linus, and Raven, their offenses are very high and their defenses are very low which Pavise and Shield Pulse address by reducing every hit they take by 50% and -5 damage if Pavise is active. So, stuff like Guard and Special Fighter would screw them over. They're in a special case where they can have phenomenally high offenses and low defenses.

Karla has high neutral offenses, 35 attack and 40 speed, and high HP all things considered for low defenses at 23 defense and 22 resistance. With L&D3 and her Vassal's Blade, she'd have 42 HP, 56 Atk, 45 Spd, 18 Def, and 17 Res. For Linus and Raven with their unique refined Basilikos and L&D3, Linus would have 45 HP, 63 Atk, 43 Spd, 22 Def, and 9 Res and Raven would have 44 HP, 60 Atk, 45 Spd, 15 Def, and 12 Res. +Atk for Karla would put her in the range of neutral Raven where Raven can have +Atk to have the same attack as Linus or go for +Spd for 48 total speed which might be overkill outside of certain PvE content.

They're the greatest exploiters, but that doesn't mean Athena can't run the build well as evident with the video and compared to Karla, she'd be easier to merge if you aren't really luck or spending a ton of money trying to get +10 copies of Karla. That said, her HP is a bit shakier, especially if someone takes -HP on her. Then again, I've seen comments about Soleil running Shield Pulse and possibly this same build and she has similar HP to Athena. If it ever happens, Lon'qu and Ogma being given sword versions of Basilikos would be ridiculous. Anyone really, but in this case, they're special with their stat spreads, especially their high HP.

Lon'qu is essentially Karla, but as a gen 1 unit and without a personal sword, but what if he had sword Basilikos? Lon'qu's base stats are 45 HP, 29 Atk, 39 Spd, 22 Def, and 22 Res. With sword Basilikos and L&D3, he'd have 48 HP, 55 Atk, 49 Spd, 12 Def, and 12 Res. You'd definitely want +Atk on him and -Res would work for this build since he can't really do much at range against magic. +Atk, -Res would then give him 48 HP, 58 Atk, 49 Spd, 12 Def, and 9 Res. All of his bulk would come from his 48 HP and Pavise and Shield Pulse would be able to reduce a large chunk of damage he takes from his enemies.

As for Ogma, he has even higher HP than Lon'qu, but lower speed and the lowest resistance tied with Bartre and Virion. 47 HP, 35 Atk, 34 Spd, 28 Def, and 13 Res becomes 50 HP, 61 Atk, 44 Spd, 18 Def, and 3 Res with sword Basilikos and L&D3. Go for -Res and he'd have 0 total resistance and you'd be able to tank dragons with Pavise, Shield Pulse and his 50 HP. It's stupid and so awesome that I hope it happens for either of them.

Shield Pulse is a niche skill, but I wished Saber was a 4* summonable unit or they introduce a new unit who gets demoted and has it because I'd love to mess around with Pavise, L&D3, and Shield Pulse.

5 hours ago, Stroud said:

You mentioned Bartre, the funny thing is that I built a Bartre to celebrate my Karla which I got one time and to make more use of her Even Speed Wave I decided to built a Speed+ Bartre. together with her he can reach over 40 Speed, I am still waiting for HP/Speed seal, which would be just perfect for him. The awesome thing about that is that he can survive some mages and double Zelgius (depending on built). He was the beginning of my quest to make apparently slow units as fast as possible. Of course Raven/Linus do a better job at this, but where is the fun. And Bartre has more HP to catch 1 hit. 

Speedy slow units is definitely something that looks fun and dumb. Have you seen the Wind Boost Chrom build from a while back: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/68256-fire-emblem-heroes-general-discussion-and-links/&do=findComment&comment=5131446?

I'm torn if I want to go +Def on him or maybe +Atk or +Spd. I've seen L&D3 Bartres with speed refined weapons and they're pretty crazy looking. And speaking percentage-based damage reduction, imagine Bartre with an axe Divine Tyrfing. Tanking mages with the lowest base resistance in the game.

Obligatory post saying I use Matthew. I've seen my fair share of Selenas, Berukas, Camillas and for that matter, Kagero, Felicia and Saizo. I can count on one hand how many Matthews I've seen. I've seen one Matthew that mirror's my own though. He was +ATK though.. *grumbles*...

2 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

I haven't tested her out in arena extensively, but my +spd/-HP Palla has been running Wo Dao speed refine, Moonbow, L&D, Renewal, Goad Fliers, and as far as PVE content goes, I kind of wish I'd just gone for the meme set of Slaying Edge + Desperation. She performs perfectly well and can survive fine, just occasionally needing to kite, but I think there's been a grand total of like 3 times were the +10 damage actually netted her a kill that a normal moonbow wouldn't have. Once I get a more synergistic team caught up to her merge level (incidentally, she was my first +10), I'm going to test her out in arena more, but based on my current experience, I'd lean a little toward Slaying Edge.

Speaking of the White Wings, I feel like Catria is another candidate for underappreciated units. She can be surprisingly bulky and still have fairly good damage output thanks to specials and a pretty decent speed stat letting her be a pretty solid mixed-phase lance flier.

Cool, thanks! I'm afraid I haven't found time to start Merging her, in part because I'm already working on getting my Roy to +10 and in part because I'm also trying to get all the 5S Lv 40 Conversations, but I'll give her Slaying...er...when I get a Killing Edge+ Unit I don't feel awful sacking, apparently I got rid of my extras I had lying around specifically for stuff like this. In theory that'll happen soon, I'm currently gunning for Laevatainn so I should be filling up with Red fodder stuff over the next month.

Also yes, Catria's scary if she's built right, I've run into a couple that frightened me in Arena. I brought one to 5S a while back, but I haven't done much with her.

@Kaden Regarding Chrom. I saw it now, that is really interesting. Never thought that it could be somehow effektiv this way. xD And I thought my Beruka project was a strange one. But it should not surprise me that there are some creative setups out there, which look stupid at first.

Quite a few Sword units who can run this. I also saw Legion running this Setup. If he would not be limited to his merges I could imagine that I would see him more. And of course, damage reduction is really precious for HP tanks, because of the percentage. I can only hope that they give as new opportunities for such built.

Sometimes it is a difficult decision. Barte can't go wrong with any of those. And I don't know if he will ever get prf. I have enough to make mine 4* +10. I have too many merge project that I need to decide which I will choose. But I hesitate with characters which still have to get their prf. I think I would decide his Boon/Bane depending on the Team he should be played most with. In my case Speed was just fitting and I like it. I guess it is because my Core was about slow QR units which are EP. I grew a bit tired Enemy Phase units and try to at least make some mixed characters. But Brave Axe Bartre wouldn't be bad too, just an Infantry Cherche. 

Also that Corrin was nice too see, I really wants me to look in my barracks and see if I can pull that off with a character. 

8 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Draug! He's pretty underrated.

By casual players maybe. He's a armor so by default he is good.

Though him having a weapon would be nice since mine is at +4 right now

8 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Draug! He's pretty underrated.

27 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Though him having a weapon would be nice since mine is at +4 right now

His physical bulk is pretty nice. I just wish his Res was better though, like maybe move some of his HP and Def to Res would be great. Barrier Blade does exist though, so that helps a lot.

On 25.9.2018 at 4:21 AM, Zeo said:

Obligatory post saying I use Matthew. I've seen my fair share of Selenas, Berukas, Camillas and for that matter, Kagero, Felicia and Saizo. I can count on one hand how many Matthews I've seen. I've seen one Matthew that mirror's my own though. He was +ATK though.. *grumbles*...

for me its the opposite i have seen more matthews then saizos lol (and i use saizo)

On 9/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, Corrobin said:

If you have a unit you like to use that doesn't get the love they deserve, let us know! Show your builds, give pointers, or even just talk about them.

I'll start off with a unit who really should get more love-Frederick. Normal Frederick, that is. He's a great physical tank who makes AMAZING usage of Brazen Attack/Defense.

image.thumb.png.2adc01dbcd65be3318bb44b59d8b6aaa.png

Major Freddy fangirl here! You want a tanky Frederick though? Try mine.

GpCtznK.png

Good luck surviving his Ignis. ;P

Summer Frederick isn't bad either, btw. Certainly not the best dagger wielder, but he's pretty decent for one. It's just too bad that daggers in general in this game aren't great unless they're named Sothe.

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Major Freddy fangirl here! You want a tanky Frederick though? Try mine.

GpCtznK.png

Good luck surviving his Ignis. ;P

Summer Frederick isn't bad either, btw. Certainly not the best dagger wielder, but he's pretty decent for one. It's just too bad that daggers in general in this game aren't great unless they're named Sothe.

Have you tried Close Def-Close Def instead of Steady Stance-Defense +3 to counter LD!Y!Tiki? That will give him 32 total Res while maintaining his melee ranged Def, although I am not sure if it is enough since she hits stupidly hard with Bold Fighter and you will lose some tanking abilities against archers. With her busted stats, I think even some Julia and Deirdre players are complaining about her bulk, although that might just be for the Abyssal difficulty PvE map.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Have you tried Close Def-Close Def instead of Steady Stance-Defense +3 to counter LD!Y!Tiki? That will give him 32 total Res while maintaining his melee ranged Def, although I am not sure if it is enough since she hits stupidly hard with Bold Fighter and you will lose some tanking abilities against archers. With her busted stats, I think even some Julia and Deirdre players are complaining about her bulk, although that might just be for the Abyssal difficulty PvE map.

No, because I don't really try to have him counter any dragons, except sometimes Nowi.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

image.thumb.png.3fb7be902b10f4818a99f4fec72c0d30.png

Still need a few more copies, but he's getting there.

• 2 weeks later...