Tharja/Rhajat is a Yandere?

Spatha

It's confusing to hear that term being applied to Tharja and especially Rhajat.

A yandere is supposed to be an insane person driven by obesession or love for something or someone and is willing to use extreme measures which is usually violent.

In the case of Tharja, while she is eager to use anyone as an experiment for her hexes, she's never really shown to be extremely violent against anyone(especially towards other females) in pursuit of her stalker-ish obsession with Robin.

In fact, she doesn't even react violently to her object of affection being married nor does she ignore everyone else, she can even marry another guy despite her obsession.

And even less true for Rhajat, who's just shy and wants to make friends. Her obsession just a because she's Tharja's reincarnation.

The likes of Peri and Camillia are prime characters that be considered a Yandere. Especially Camillia due to her actions im Birthright.

Nah, Peri should not be considered Yandere. She is just crazy.
But as for Tharja, Rhajat and Camilla they can be considered Yandere. Although you have to admit that each of them can let go of the avatar in paring them together with other characters. 

As for Camilla, the most interesting part would be Laslow, I mean she even overlooks it a bit that Laslow still likes to flirt with other girls, even if she is not that fond of it. And that is not very Yandere like. Also she is totally ok with it that Corrin interacts with other people, as long as she is on his/her side. She does not get into the way of other ships Corrin has. 
And Rhajat/Tharja, she is also a bit of an oddball of an yandere. Her reasons look just different as obsession with love, its some kind of another obsession. 

That is the difficulty with Archetypes, I mean I like yandere. I like Camilla for her doting nature. But sometimes its better not to just put characters in those archetypes, because they still have some uniqueness which would be overlooked by it. And I sometimes see characters mistakenly to be seen as Yandere, like Rena from Higurashi.

I sometimes think that it could give writers a headache, now you have difficulties to write a character who is just very affectionate towards a certain character without them to be considered Yandere. And if we truly want to see a Yandere in Fire emblem, we have to let the devs decide the pairings. 

Maybe its better not to say that this and that Character is a Yandere/Tsundere. But better to say that they have certain behaviors which is Yandere/Tsundere like.

Edited by Stroud

To be perfectly honest out of the supposed yanderes in FE the only one the archeatype can only really be applied to is camilla. As far as I can tell, yandere are characterized by appearing to be overly sweet, doting, and overall “deredere” at first only to later be revealed as this  overly obsessed clingy psychopath that will go so far as to kill to keep their senpai to themselves. By this definition tharja cannot be yandere because she does not have that “deredere” mask so to speak. She’s a psychopath through and through and she makes no attempts to hide it.

13 hours ago, Otts486 said:

To be perfectly honest out of the supposed yanderes in FE the only one the archeatype can only really be applied to is camilla. As far as I can tell, yandere are characterized by appearing to be overly sweet, doting, and overall “deredere” at first only to later be revealed as this  overly obsessed clingy psychopath that will go so far as to kill to keep their senpai to themselves. By this definition tharja cannot be yandere because she does not have that “deredere” mask so to speak. She’s a psychopath through and through and she makes no attempts to hide it.

A psychopath wouldn't care for her family(Kellam support), avoiding mentioning to a kid that her parents are dead(Nowi) or sympathize with someone's plight (Lonqu and Libra) or weirded out by another lunatic (Henry).

I'd peg Tharja as amoral.

Tharja's not physically violent, but her willingness to hex and threaten people who get in her way(Or just for the hell of it sometimes) is very yandere. In a setting where magic exists, harming somebody with magic should be taken as seriously as harming somebody through physical means. 

Edited by Slumber

9 hours ago, Spatha said:

A psychopath wouldn't care for her family(Kellam support), avoiding mentioning to a kid that her parents are dead(Nowi) or sympathize with someone's plight (Lonqu and Libra) or weirded out by another lunatic (Henry).

I'd peg Tharja as amoral.

okay maybe psychopath wasn't the right word to use but my point still stands. Tharja has traits of yandere(obsessive, clingy, will do anything for the one they love, etc.) but isn't one for the reasons I've stated 

Camilla is the closest fit as she has a clear deredere side but is also willing to use violence to get people she likes to stay with her. She says to Selena that she'd cut off her legs if she tried to leave her and in the Japanese version, she threatens Corrin with a murder/suicide if Corrin were to leave her after they get married.

Tharja is obsessive but doesn't have a deredere facade hiding her more sinister qualities. She does however threaten to murder Robin if he backs out of his proposal.

Both characters lack an exclusive love interest, nor do they attack people they see as threats to their relationship, but they do threaten people into staying with them which is pretty yandere.