Forging Bonds: Harmony amid Chaos (March 6th - March 20th)

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I also reject the idea of all my Heroes having their own rooms as suggested by Bernadetta locking herself in one. They're barracks, not dorms. All of you get a cot just three feet away from your roommates.

This is not your run of the mill barracks for housing nameless Gatekeepers and generic units and the like. This is the castle of the Order of Heroes, and they have a massive 1,000+ rooms Barracks.

But I agree, it would be nice if we can pack more Heroes into each room like sardines. 10 Heroes per room would be good, and I would have 11,000 Barracks spaces then.

Edited by XRay

This is definitely on the low end of quality as far as all the conversations go. I'm not really liking Bernadetta or Lysithea here, which is a shame because I liked them pretty well in Three Houses. Annette's conversations aren't offensive, they're just kinda...there. And Ferdinand, oh Ferdinand, I'd really rather have SEEN his conversing with Lyn, not just hear it loosely relayed back to the summoner.

And dang, if Ferdinand thinks Lyn doesn't act like a noble, just wait until he meets Ike...

32 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Annette's conversations aren't offensive, they're just kinda...there.

kinda like Annette herself actually so it fits. I was actually kinda hoping that this forging bonds would actually get me to care about Annette but I was very wrong.

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

And dang, if Ferdinand thinks Lyn doesn't act like a noble, just wait until he meets Ike...

Thing about Lyn/Ike is that neither were raised as one.  But man, imagine if he'd met Hector first. . .

Does Ike even technically count as a noble?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but haven't all of the 3H Forging Bonds followed the same general pattern, where one character talks exclusively to one person from Askr without any other characters popping up? I wonder why they keep doing that, especially when the last forging bonds did a really good job with Nils and Leila talking to people important to them. Even Fiora's forging bonds included cameos from Libra, Shigure, and an annoying barrel.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

kinda like Annette herself actually so it fits.

I'm just gonna disagree with that.

11 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Not technically, no, but as one of the main protagonists I still assume Ferdinand might cross paths with him, seek him out. 

Ferdinand being stuck with a boring summoner support is...well, boring, but it doesn't bother me since he's boring himself as is imo.

I'm liking Anna and Annette's conversations tho.

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Ottservia said:

kinda like Annette herself actually so it fits. I was actually kinda hoping that this forging bonds would actually get me to care about Annette but I was very wrong.

Wow, way to do Annette dirty. She has a lot of good things going for her. FB does a poor job of showing her by just focusing on her cooking.

5 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

He wasn't born as a noble, but he does become one during the story.

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

He wasn't born as a noble, but he does become one during the story.

Oh, I was specifically thinking about characters who were born nobles. I'm never really sure whether people think Ike should technically count or not because of Greil's past.

27 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh, I was specifically thinking about characters who were born nobles. I'm never really sure whether people think Ike should technically count or not because of Greil's past.

Given Tauroneo's background, and the knowledge that Ashnard's meritocracy was revolutionary, it'd be fair to say Greil was a noble before he ran away. Adding weight to this point you could argue, is the fact that Beta PoR notes had the yet-to-be-named Greil ruling a fief called Thebes in service to Duke Persis of the Babylonian/Begnion Empire. Persis had him killed when Ike was 12 and Titania fled with Ike & Mist and formed a mercenary group to sustain them. 

Though, then we get to the question of whether being of blue blood constitutes being one, or if one must also be raised as one to be one. SoV Alm screams "if you have the blood, you fundamentally are one", but does Alm's case count in Ike's too?

Ike does have his father's strength, but is that strength derived primarily from blood? Ike doesn't have any special toothpicks only he can use like the Royal Sword, Ragnell is not bound only to him by destiny, technically anyone could use it. Anyone can use its identical silvery twin Alondite. So I'd be inclined to say that while "Ike father, Ike son", Ike is predominantly supposed to be training over special bloodline (or destiny) in terms of what makes him strong.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given Tauroneo's background, and the knowledge that Ashnard's meritocracy was revolutionary, it'd be fair to say Greil was a noble before he ran away. Adding weight to this point you could argue, is the fact that Beta PoR notes had the yet-to-be-named Greil ruling a fief called Thebes in service to Duke Persis of the Babylonian/Begnion Empire. Persis had him killed when Ike was 12 and Titania fled with Ike & Mist and formed a mercenary group to sustain them. 

Though, then we get to the question of whether being of blue blood constitutes being one, or if one must also be raised as one to be one. SoV Alm screams "if you have the blood, you fundamentally are one", but does Alm's case count in Ike's too?

Ike does have his father's strength, but is that strength derived primarily from blood? Ike doesn't have any special toothpicks only he can use like the Royal Sword, Ragnell is not bound only to him by destiny, technically anyone could use it. Anyone can use its identical silvery twin Alondite. So I'd be inclined to say that while "Ike father, Ike son", Ike is predominantly supposed to be training over special bloodline (or destiny) in terms of what makes him strong.

If we're going by the definitions in Ferdinand's conversations, then Lyn counts, and she wasn't raised as a noble. Which seems to be part of the point, that she wasn't how he expected.

You mean that point I made seven hours ago?

But then, does it mean that "noble" is "how you were raised" or "someone gave you the fancy title"?

In all fairness, though, doesn't Lyn still sooooort of count as nobility because she was the Lorcan chieftain's daughter? Might not be as prestigious as being the granddaughter to a marquess but it's something I guess?

There's also the argument that even if Lyn wasn't raised as a Caelin noble, at the time her game took place her grandfather was still in power and Caelin existed. If Greil or Elena had any titles or land or power due to their status in Daein it seems like none of it exists anymore. Likewise, even if Alm wasn't raised as a noble or prince the country of Rigel still does as does his birthright, apparently.

So, getting through the stories...I can't help but see so many missed opportunities... Why not show the characters interacting with other characters instead of just the summoner and the Askr trio? Like, Inigo/Olivia talking to Bernie about being shy, or Felicia being the one to try to help Annette with her cooking? I mean, at least Lyn and (I think Oliver?) were referenced for Ferdinand, but honestly, I would've liked to see him talk to Clair or Berkut (I mean, he may yet; I haven't finished reading his story, but it doesn't look like it's going that way...) Actually, Ephraim would've been interesting, too, since he doesn't like the idea of being a noble, so that would create some interesting contrast. And Lysithia (or however you spell her name; I haven't had much exposure to it yet) totally could've talked to Nowi, who likes to talk about how she's a lot older than she looks. Nyx would've been an especially interesting conversation partner for her, but she's not in the game yet.

I think Raigh might have been a fun conversation partner for Lysithea. In his Awakening cameo he and Ricken has several battle conversations about insisting the other one is the little kid. Given how their personalities will likely rub against each other in a negative way I could see Raigh treating Lysithea similarly as he does Ricken. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Raigh might have been a fun conversation partner for Lysithea. In his Awakening cameo he and Ricken has several battle conversations about insisting the other one is the little kid. Given how their personalities will likely rub against each other in a negative way I could see Raigh treating Lysithea similarly as he does Ricken. 

That sounds like it could've been fun! Why not bring Ricken in while we're at it, too? Forgot that he's not in Heroes yet, whoops.