Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Artemis Umbrella looked kinda cool, from Astray I take it? Its evil commander appeared to be dressed like his generic officer. Four units against the first batch of bad guys - well three actually, since the first thing I did was combine into Valguard. With 10 upgrades, it had over 20k HP, and 460 EN which I upped with a +100 EN Part, a -20% EN consumption chip, the EN Regen S-providing Solar Sail, and a Megabooster to keep Valguard in the fray at all times (10 Move with Accel). It soloed the first wave, and did similar work on the subsequent ZAFT forces. The power of an upgraded godly Super against some Real grunts.

They certainly didn't hold back with it, eh.

...But this scenario had actually little to do with SEED. The introduction to The Prince of Darkness, I see. Nadesico felt zany to me when I first encountered it in AP, and here, my first time with TPoD... whiplash.

Yeah, that can be quite the surprise.

• Ryoko dyed her hair from green to blue.

It's black, actually, and her actual hair color. She was dying it green.

• The choir boy from the Jovians, Saburota, has left God/Gekiganger and joined Thelema, so to speak (corrupted by Earthing values once he left the Jovian Federation?).

I suppose at some point some Jovians would like to actually see the world beyond what they knew? And Saburota happened to be one of them, I guess.

• The villainous Martian Successors (why wait until the movie to strictly use the titular moniker?) look like Japanese nationalists that wear traditional Japanese clothing? Loosely reminded me of Eternal Punishment.

You know, even to this day I'm not sure on why, either.

• As for the Nadesico ...quickly flipping through Akurasu flowcharts, I have long known that Ruri gets to command the Nadesico B. Which left me worried about Yurika. Those worries have been confirmed- damseled. What a pitiful fate for Captain ✌️.🙁
    • As for the Nad B as a unit- no Missiles, only the Gravity Blast. The thing will run dry of EN real quick.

Yeah, it's like someone thought Akito and Yurika deserved to suffer. Sheesh.

Hm? Weird, since in V and T it does have Missiles. Maybe it will gain them later on?

• ...And now Akito is in an edgy phase to match? I hope I'm strapped in, because sudden shift might snap my neck.

It's certainly jarring, alright. As it is, I prefer SRW doing the TV series and see PoD get derailed, than seeing PoD being used. But I guess it's inevitable for PoD to be used at some point.

Then again, BX brought back the TV series but then prevented us from saving Gai, so... yeah.

•  
    • His Black Sarena ("Sarana" here)- I've heard the name, never saw the design, I didn't want to ruin the surprise. It looks... fat. Like a walrus, and not very humanoid. What exactly is it supposed to be, a flying bumper-car with a Distortion Field?

I guess? XD One of its attacks is indeed a ramming maneouver, from what I recall.

• And the girl with Akito in the battleship- very quiet. Some lifeless fragment of Yurika's soul that Akito managed to save?

Gonna be honest, I'm not fully sure either. I don't think she actually showed up in SRW V. Or maybe since I didn't took the right route splits. But she is prominent in W, so you will learn about her soon enough.

The Super Aestivalis and Aestivalis Customs does Gai's count as technically a Banpresto Original if he never got his Aesti customized in MSN canon? do look nice. Though ditching the frames is a mixed bag for me. Good b/c I no longer have to swap them as Earth/space circumstances dictate, bad in that I liked the flavor they gave the Aestis. You Get to Burning remains absolutely the best Nadesico BGM as a little aside. -And yes they did a Gai & Gai joke here.

Yes, the Gai Custom is indeed original for this game, hahaha. Since it's not based on unused concepts, I would say it can indeed be a Banpresto Semi-Original, I suppose.

Right now, my biggest The Prince of Darkness question- what was the intent behind the movie? What message lay behind all these shifts? ...I won't ask for an answer until everything is done, however.

Well, one thing is certain. People at large shared the sentiment of finding the tonal shift too jarring. Apparently it did not do too well, and likely killed any chances of new Nadesico content. The only other thing Nadesico has is a Sega Saturn game, which serves as a midquel, as it takes place between the TV series and the movie, and is meant to show the lead-up to the movie's events. Still, it never left Japan, and then despite the midquel status, it was actually released after the movie.

Fun fact, here in Latin America both TV Nadesico and the movie got dubs... but we got the movie dubbed first. For some reason. And then, by the time they dubbed the TV series, it was a different studio, so everyone's voices were different. It's just so weird, hah.

As a last note, the W timeskip is six months... however, the movie actually takes place two years after the TV series. I think people do comment that Ruri seemed to have aged a lot too fast, but it was kinda inevitable when you have that discrepancy.

...And after all that, nobody actually joined. Still just the Valguard, HOME, and the Red Striker (why did Gai get a Full Weapons System/Pack so soon and Lowe hasn't?). -The Valguard is fine on its lonesome however.

Yeah, I think that's gonna be... actually, I think that doesn't last for long.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

56 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They certainly didn't hold back with it, eh.

I think I they could've held back on the animations. I get they wanted to portray the bulk of a battleship robot via slow, hefty movements, but I'd like the finger lasers to be faster.😐 Also, why go overly gratuitous here when Valzacard is the ultimate form? Considering the Valhawk had multiple dynamic kills, they showered the Original with love in W. Which is fine, I've heard it said once or twice that K and L have lackluster Originals. But I'll take translations of either regardless.

It's black, actually, and her actual hair color. She was dying it green.

So she hasn't been experiencing some denialism fantasy where she thinks Akito lived and that she has a chance of bearing his child if she got him really drunk one day if she dyed her hair blue like Yurika's?

...Blame L'Morte d'Arthur, I couldn't forget that Galahad lone son of Lancelot was conceived when magic was used to make a young maiden look like Guinevere. Also the Biblical Lot and his daughters.

And thank you for the correction.😀

I suppose at some point some Jovians would like to actually see the world beyond what they knew? And Saburota happened to be one of them, I guess.

Saburota's overhaul is feasible enough to me. The cultural atmosphere upon the Jupiterian moons was probably stifling I can imagine, and the freedom of Earth a breath of fresh air some would wholeheartedly -perhaps embarrassingly wildly when they look back on their youth in their 50s- embrace.

You know, even to this day I'm not sure on why, either.

In the Nadesico anime, the highly-disciplined "bad" guys and bad guy, were made morally rigorous through the values of a heroic anime. Nationalism I can see as providing the same kind of zealous discipline -and black & white/us vs. them worldview- as Gekiganger, but wearing different-enough clothing. Same, yet visually different. And in this case, I see zero chance of persuasion working, the way it could with Geki, which does make it bleaker.

...Or were you referring to the formal use of the "Martian Successor" label in-universe?😅 In that case, being built with ancient Martian technology, you could loosely say the Nadesico and by metonymy its crew is a Successor to the Martians?

Yeah, it's like someone thought Akito and Yurika deserved to suffer. Sheesh.

It's certainly jarring, alright. As it is, I prefer SRW doing the TV series and see PoD get derailed, than seeing PoD being used. But I guess it's inevitable for PoD to be used at some point.

Well, one thing is certain. People at large shared the sentiment of finding the tonal shift too jarring. Apparently it did not do too well, and likely killed any chances of new Nadesico content. The only other thing Nadesico has is a Sega Saturn game, which serves as a midquel, as it takes place between the TV series and the movie, and is meant to show the lead-up to the movie's events. Still, it never left Japan, and then despite the midquel status, it was actually released after the movie.

So I'm not alone. -And shame this sunk Nadesico.🙁

Still, I'll try to find some enjoyment in it. I've been curious since finishing AP what The Prince of Darkness was, maybe I was wrong to be.😅 But this is SRW, I can chug along.😀

Fun fact, here in Latin America both TV Nadesico and the movie got dubs... but we got the movie dubbed first. For some reason. And then, by the time they dubbed the TV series, it was a different studio, so everyone's voices were different. It's just so weird, hah.

What's in a voice? Just think of it as a reminder that these are fictional people, and the voices we give them aren't fixed. Something something hear the voice you want to hear from them.😛

As a last note, the W timeskip is six months... however, the movie actually takes place two years after the TV series. I think people do comment that Ruri seemed to have aged a lot too fast, but it was kinda inevitable when you have that discrepancy.

Hardly worse than other character visual compromises SRW has to make. SRW30 and the UC oldies springs to mind- how old should Char/Quattro be, is it fine for him and Kamille to use their usual portraits (not like SRW would dare try to unofficially age these iconic characters)?

Oh yeah, the dialogue in W saying Ruri lived with Akito and Yurika during the timeskip? Listening to You Get to Burning, I did see a comment long ago pointing out that Akito's & Ruri's VAs were/are? married IRL. 

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Apparently, it was a meme a while ago and somehow everyone agreed M&L can trounce Sephiroth with the power of button prompts XD

So the lesson is know your QTE Prompts? XD

Indeed. I'm merely alright with them, depends on what I'm attacking with/dodging.

Have you ever played the M&L games, actually?🤔

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I they could've held back on the animations. I get they wanted to portray the bulk of a battleship robot via slow, hefty movements, but I'd like the finger lasers to be faster.😐 Also, why go overly gratuitous here when Valzacard is the ultimate form? Considering the Valhawk had multiple dynamic kills, they showered the Original with love in W. Which is fine, I've heard it said once or twice that K and L have lackluster Originals. But I'll take translations of either regardless.

I suppose since it was the novelty of having the OG "main" mech to be a battleship, so they put some effort to everything, I guess.

So she hasn't been experiencing some denialism fantasy where she thinks Akito lived and that she has a chance of bearing his child if she got him really drunk one day if she dyed her hair blue like Yurika's?

...Blame L'Morte d'Arthur, I couldn't forget that Galahad lone son of Lancelot was conceived when magic was used to make a young maiden look like Guinevere. Also the Biblical Lot and his daughters.

I thought Hikaru was the writer of the trio. XD

And thank you for the correction.😀

No problem!

Saburota's overhaul is feasible enough to me. The cultural atmosphere upon the Jupiterian moons was probably stifling I can imagine, and the freedom of Earth a breath of fresh air some would wholeheartedly -perhaps embarrassingly wildly when they look back on their youth in their 50s- embrace.

I think this was already a thing in the TV series. Tsukumo's sister, Yukina, for example, was one such Jovian showing signs of being a cultural rebel.

In the Nadesico anime, the highly-disciplined "bad" guys and bad guy, were made morally rigorous through the values of a heroic anime. Nationalism I can see as providing the same kind of zealous discipline -and black & white/us vs. them worldview- as Gekiganger, but wearing different-enough clothing. Same, yet visually different. And in this case, I see zero chance of persuasion working, the way it could with Geki, which does make it bleaker.

Oh, I was referring to the thing about the anime being named Martian Successors despite the organization not showing until the movie. lol

But yeah, their isolation certainly made it easy for the radical members to indoctrinate the rest. Not that there wasn't already some resentment there, due to having to flee to Jupiter to begin with.

So I'm not alone. -And shame this sunk Nadesico.🙁

Still, I'll try to find some enjoyment in it. I've been curious since finishing AP what The Prince of Darkness was, maybe I was wrong to be.😅 But this is SRW, I can chug along.😀

Yeah, at least there's that.

What's in a voice? Just think of it as a reminder that these are fictional people, and the voices we give them aren't fixed. Something something hear the voice you want to hear from them.😛

I guess, but I suppose there is still a line to draw. Dubs meaning different voices is fine, but when a same language work suddenly shifts the voice where there's little reason for it to change, then it can still be a bit weird.

On that subject, I'm reminded sometimes there are cases where they do go for the trouble of using the same voice even in different dubs. For example, in Disney's Beauty and the Beast (the animated one), the character of LeFou has the same VA in both US English and Latin American Spanish. It's the only case of the whole cast, so it's actually a bit curious why this happened. Did the voice actor liked voicing LeFou so much he asked to do it all over again for the LA dub at least? Beats me.

Hardly worse than other character visual compromises SRW has to make. SRW30 and the UC oldies springs to mind- how old should Quattro be?

He's 33 during CCA. To be fair, 30 doesn't change too much there. Just about 9 years between the OYW and the Second Neo Zeon war, and then one additional year to the present day. As it is, the Quattro to Char image change is less about his age, and more that he cut his hair, ditched the shades, and used different clothes. So it was more plausible to revert to the Quattro look without it looking too different anyway.

Oh yeah, the dialogue in W saying Ruri lived with Akito and Yurika during the timeskip?

Yeah, I think that's what happens, yes. Ruri is... well, her parents are still alive, but she doesn't care much for them. Or at all. I don't know if SRW ever brings it up, but since you're in the PoD portion, then W doesn't either.

An episode of the TV series reveals Ruri was conceived in vitro at the request of the rulers of a small kingdom (which yes, it means Ruri is actually a princess). The lab would be attacked by terrorists, and the zygotes thought lost. But then a scientist would find them, and is the one who then tried to grow them up... but also experiment genetically on them. This is why Ruri is a genius despite her young age. Eventually Nergal found out about the scientist, and then "bought" Ruri off him. Said episode has Ruri meeting both her parents and the scientist. To say the least, she felt more meeting the latter than the former. In the end, Ruri considers the Nadesico crew her real family, so she doesn't leave the ship.

As such, it would make sense that, if she had to live somewhere that's not Nergal property, it would be with anyone from the crew. And Akito and Yurika took it upon themselves to adopt her, pretty much.

As I said, I don't think SRW ever brings this up, so I feel it's fine to say it.

Listening to You Get to Burning, I did see a comment long ago pointing out that Akito's & Ruri's VAs were/are? married IRL. 

Oh, really? Interesting.

> Playing Chapter 4

> Going through Twilight Woods

> Encounters Amayzee Dayzee.

> It attacks TWICE

Mario:

Steam Workshop::Guess I'll Die

... welp, my first Game Over...

Well, actually, it attacked thrice. It had a Shooting Star which it used on the first turn, then sang the other two.

Clearly, peace was never an option...

That said, I'm so glad the remake changed the Dayzee's attack animation by adding a note that actually goes towards Mario and the partner. Since now you have a clear indicator on when to try to (Super)Guard. Not that it helped me...

Gais.pngGais-2.png

He likes Gais.😛

Oh-God-2.png

Oh God.🤣

Scenario 31 done. For what very limited time they got together here, Kazuma tried offering sage advice to Kira, six months really age you.🕰️ -Yet again, the Archangel takes a swift leave.

GaoGaiGar Final begins (or was the beginning what befell Mikoto in 27?), with the BioNet bad guy employing Real grunts for some reason. The last two Super AIs are here at last, and they're feminine robots this time, light and dark, repair and resupply. I'll take these. The Renais attack of KoRyuOh was funny, if not as out-of-place in SRW as it'd normally be with Tekkaman and Orgun around.😛 Guy is back too -but I forget, what happened to Galeon? And only now after GGG not-Final Guy has gone from cybernetic human to that Evoluder thing that the Bettermen will come to be concerned about. Sorry I stripped you of Favorites status Guy, but the GaoFighGar remains a solid Super. -All the new portraits for the second half of W are good BTW.

The Nadesico joins up too because of a token Martian Successor group, with the very silent Akito (only uttering the words "for revenge" at the end) showing up uncontrollable ally again. Actually having the animations on during the Black Sarana's Distortion Attack, I see it's simply a shell/exoskeleton built around Akito's Aestivalis. There's something dissonant about that. Akito's Aesti is funny to me, because it's pink, which for a man isn't the most heroic of colors, it kinda suits his normal self and the tone of anime Nadesico. Yet with his personality shift -it wouldn't surprise me if the Prince of Darkness wasn't a villain but an epithet for what Akito has become- it's very weird that he didn't repaint his unit. Seeing a portrait of the captive Yurika after the battle stung once more.🙁

When the Astray girl took off her disguise, I did recognize her. I think she appeared once in J? One of two ladies who after the fall of Orb join the heroes in like two lines of dialogue and provide Cagalli with the Astray Formation attack (which I never used, since I never used Cagalli past that point). Well, that rules out the possibility of this young lady dying a tragic death alongside Lowe, ASTRAY mustn't be one of those stories.

Looks like I get to keep the Nad' plus three Aesti and GaoFighGar + Big Volfogg this time. The robot army of justice begins to rebuild itself.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No problem!

TBF, Ryoko's cut-in looks closer to black in W. Her portrait, that takes on a bluish shade, at least on my laptop with my settings. Flay's hair to comment on that looked redder than I remember too, maybe W messed up the colors a tad by brightening the portraits.

On that subject, I'm reminded sometimes there are cases where they do go for the trouble of using the same voice even in different dubs. For example, in Disney's Beauty and the Beast (the animated one), the character of LeFou has the same VA in both US English and Latin American Spanish. It's the only case of the whole cast, so it's actually a bit curious why this happened. Did the voice actor liked voicing LeFou so much he asked to do it all over again for the LA dub at least? Beats me.

-I would hope the voice actor would be decently fluent in both languages in that case. Lest they be ridiculed in one language for their pronunciations being hilariously terribad.

He's 33 during CCA. To be fair, 30 doesn't change too much there. Just about 9 years between the OYW and the Second Neo Zeon war, and then one additional year to the present day. As it is, the Quattro to Char image change is less about his age, and more that he cut his hair, ditched the shades, and used different clothes. So it was more plausible to revert to the Quattro look without it looking too different anyway.

...I got the 30 chronology of when the Counterattack happened completely wrong then.😅 I thought it was longer ago than that. TBF I didn't pay attention at first in 30 to much of the plot, had yet to ease myself into absorbing the licenses (oh how that feels like another universe now🤣).

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But then a scientist would find them, and is the one who then tried to grow them up... but also experiment genetically on them. This is why Ruri is a genius despite her young age.

In the prior chapter, that evil Garcia guy did think her akin to a Coordinator actually, though he didn't outright call her one no cross-skilling.

Eventually Nergal found out about the scientist, and then "bought" Ruri off him. Said episode has Ruri meeting both her parents and the scientist. To say the least, she felt more meeting the latter than the former. In the end, Ruri considers the Nadesico crew her real family, so she doesn't leave the ship.

Understandable.

Apparently, the concept of "birth parents/family doesn't have to matter" is old-ish. On a random Wikipedia binge one day, I discovered the 200,000 line Hindu epic the Mahabharata (compiled gradually some time between 400 BC and 300 AD), features a half-brother prince rival to the protagonist brothers no, his name is not Heinel, who puts the family that raised him over the family who he belongs to by blood.

Oh, really? Interesting.

*Double checks the Internet* 

Yep, seems like it.

> Encounters Amayzee Dayzee.

> It attacks TWICE

...Why did these things need like 20 Attack? Not like Metal Slimes have ever been known to murder before fleeing.

Lately I've been ruminating about my "Archanea meets Mexico" story idea.

I've decided to actually have it for Marth's two-year exile to happen over yonder. Which means he'd only stay in Talys for a couple weeks at the most. That brings the following question. What would be the "plot" for this, then? Just a story of how the FE characters adapt to living in an Earth country until the time comes they must go back (because of course they'd try to return... and perhaps now with some backing from the Golden Eagle)? Or does something has to happen, where they'd get inevitably involved? My country's history in the 19th century is certainly not lacking of events. Choosing one would certainly be a tough one, heh. Though some of them are tempting. Specially when the option to actually diverge history is present.

This

ePltk3h.png

Is certainly part wishful thinking, part venting, and part... just being an avid Paradox player. lol

Though I will admit, I am curious. Caeda's pegasus alone would be quite a game changer, perhaps. Since this is the era where your best hope for aerial reconnaissance is the hot air balloon. Which compared to a pegasus is... well, simply put, it sucks. Much slower, less control of movement, much bigger so can't be too low lest it gets spotted much easier... and I'm pretty sure even the best guns of the era (which wouldn't even be available for anyone in Mexico anyway) would not be able to reach a pegasus if its high enough (probably not for the hot air balloon either, but that's not much of an advantage). But well, this is perhaps getting too ahead myself. Would still need to decide on other stuff first before this matters.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gais.pngGais-2.png

He likes Gais.😛

And there it is what I was talking about. XD

Gai Daigoji knew what he was doing when he declared it was THE NAME OF HIS SOUL.

Oh-God-2.png

Oh God.🤣

I think that has to be the most referenced attack in SRW. lol

Alpha Gaiden has a similar scene where Turn A Gundam character, Gym Ghingham, his mech has an attack that is pretty much a Shining Finger. Naturally, Ryusei is the one that points this out, and even says something in the likes of "this isn't the one I remember!". Referencing the fact G Gundam was in Shin SRW, where he was also present. XD

GaoGaiGar Final begins (or was the beginning what befell Mikoto in 27?), with the BioNet bad guy employing Real grunts for some reason. The last two Super AIs are here at last, and they're feminine robots this time, light and dark, repair and resupply. I'll take these. The Renais attack of KoRyuOh was funny, if not as out-of-place in SRW as it'd normally be with Tekkaman and Orgun around.😛 Guy is back too -but I forget, what happened to Galeon? And only now after GGG not-Final Guy has gone from cybernetic human to that Evoluder thing that the Bettermen will come to be concerned about. Sorry I stripped you of Favorites status Guy, but the GaoFighGar remains a solid Super. -All the new portraits for the second half of W are good BTW.

No, the Mikoto thing was still the first series. It was the very last, though, as it did happen after the Z Master was dealt with.

The Nadesico joins up too because of a token Martian Successor group, with the very silent Akito (only uttering the words "for revenge" at the end) showing up uncontrollable ally again. Actually having the animations on during the Black Sarana's Distortion Attack, I see it's simply a shell/exoskeleton built around Akito's Aestivalis. There's something dissonant about that. Akito's Aesti is funny to me, because it's pink, which for a man isn't the most heroic of colors, it kinda suits his normal self and the tone of anime Nadesico. Yet with his personality shift -it wouldn't surprise me if the Prince of Darkness wasn't a villain but an epithet for what Akito has become- it's very weird that he didn't repaint his unit. Seeing a portrait of the captive Yurika after the battle stung once more.🙁

A shell, huh. How very... symbolic.

When the Astray girl took off her disguise, I did recognize her. I think she appeared once in J? One of two ladies who after the fall of Orb join the heroes in like two lines of dialogue and provide Cagalli with the Astray Formation attack (which I never used, since I never used Cagalli past that point). Well, that rules out the possibility of this young lady dying a tragic death alongside Lowe, ASTRAY mustn't be one of those stories.

Looks like I get to keep the Nad' plus three Aesti and GaoFighGar + Big Volfogg this time. The robot army of justice begins to rebuild itself.

Yep, the group will be coming back. Slowly, but back.

TBF, Ryoko's cut-in looks closer to black in W. Her portrait, that takes on a bluish shade, at least on my laptop with my settings. Flay's hair to comment on that looked redder than I remember too, maybe W messed up the colors a tad by brightening the portraits.

Must also be the GBA vs DS quality thing going on too.

-I would hope the voice actor would be decently fluent in both languages in that case. Lest they be ridiculed in one language for their pronunciations being hilariously terribad.

I'll admit I watched the movie more in its original English than the Spanish dub, but I have heard the movie in Spanish too, and he at least can speak Spanish fine.

Well, I went to look up and... he's Venezuelan-American. So he is part Hispanic to begin with.

...I got the 30 chronology of when the Counterattack happened completely wrong then.😅 I thought it was longer ago than that. TBF I didn't pay attention at first in 30 to much of the plot, had yet to ease myself into absorbing the licenses (oh how that feels like another universe now🤣).

Yeah, 9-10 years versus the 13 of the original UC timeline.

In the prior chapter, that evil Garcia guy did think her akin to a Coordinator actually, though he didn't outright call her one no cross-skilling.

Actually, I remember once seeing in the TV Tropes of SRW V a statement that Ruri is an actual Coordinator there. I don't remember seeing dialogue about it, but again, it was probably in one of the route splits I didn't took. Not that Ruri has the Coordinator skill anyway (I think her Electron Fairy one is meant to be the equivalent lore wise). I mean, I can see it. This is the game that also had Banjo able to Boson Jump, so cross-skilling (what a term lol) is indeed possible in V. Just... not in the gameplay.

Understandable.

Apparently, the concept of "birth parents/family doesn't have to matter" is old-ish. On a random Wikipedia binge one day, I discovered the 200,000 line Hindu epic the Mahabharata (compiled gradually some time between 400 BC and 300 AD), features a half-brother prince rival to the protagonist brothers no, his name is not Heinel, who puts the family that raised him over the family who he belongs to by blood.

Interesting.

Yeah, I think... how did the phrase went? "Blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb".

...Why did these things need like 20 Attack? Not like Metal Slimes have ever been known to murder before fleeing.

I suppose to make it a bigger gamble to try to fight them.

Yeah, about that...

Dammit. I once saw it on the DQ reddit. A video where Metal Slimes do indeed kill the party in DQ2. They kept spamming Frizz/Sizzle instead of fleeing. It was... surreal to watch, not gonna lie.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Dammit. I once saw it on the DQ reddit. A video where Metal Slimes do indeed kill the party in DQ2. They kept spamming Frizz/Sizzle instead of fleeing. It was... surreal to watch, not gonna lie.

Vengeance! Vengeance! We shall be hunted to no end for EXP no longer!🔥

...IIRC, one of the Tockington retro places is for a famed DQIX grotto that got passed around a lot in Japan b/c it was rich in Metal Slimes. I believe the problem that the DQXI heroes have to fix there is an angry Metal Slime that is indeed opposed to the fate of its brethren.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think that has to be the most referenced attack in SRW. lol

Alpha Gaiden has a similar scene where Turn A Gundam character, Gym Ghingham, his mech has an attack that is pretty much a Shining Finger. Naturally, Ryusei is the one that points this out, and even says something in the likes of "this isn't the one I remember!". Referencing the fact G Gundam was in Shin SRW, where he was also present. XD

Oh Ryusei.😆

I don't blame 'em. Domon got the magic memey touch with that.☝️ And Erupting God Finger is magnificent innuendo.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Vengeance! Vengeance! We shall be hunted to no end for EXP no longer!🔥

...IIRC, one of the Tockington retro places is for a famed DQIX grotto that got passed around a lot in Japan b/c it was rich in Metal Slimes. I believe the problem that the DQXI heroes have to fix there is an angry Metal Slime that is indeed opposed to the fate of its brethren.

Metal Slimes do be choosing violence that day. lol

I think I have heard of that grotto, yes. It doesn't me that DQ would've done something like that by this point, heh.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh Ryusei.😆

I don't blame 'em. Domon got the magic memey touch with that.☝️ And Erupting God Finger is magnificent innuendo.

Yeah, it's not surprising that it would become memetic, heh. G Gundam was so over the top... but epic.

Mazjin.png

He changed his mech just for this? -Kouji's thoughts. (Tsukumo didn't get a new portrait, and yet his fellow walking dead Gai did.)

A joke battle, albeit one that did later give the heroes a hint of the Myceneans existing. Would've thought the Mazinger Z lost after it got Ashura'ed, and that the secret where I get it back would be because the Myceneans had found and claimed it after Dr. Hell's defeat. -But no, Koji was in his old machine here. Jun shows up in the second Venus A (why not call it Diana A?), and now Lori and Loru make an appearance after sitting out Mazinkaiser, was the Million Alpha exclusive to the Ankoku Daishogun follow-up?

And unlike J, it's stated here that Professor Yumi has given out Photon Power generators to alleviate some of the global N-Jammer energy crisis problem. Also Getter Ray generators, which strikes me as odd, but then Getter is plotless here, and the trio are their classic anime selves, so I can envision the watering-down took the danger off the Rays.

Doesn't seem like any of them would be joining juuuuust yet. Except Tsukumo, Bonta-kun with no intention of doing so really motivated him out of his post-marriage funk. -And yes, I easily fulfilled the kill requirement here, for Bonta-kun's permanent acquisition, the last of them and probably the easiest.

45 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mazjin.png

He changed his mech just for this? -Kouji's thoughts. (Tsukumo didn't get a new portrait, and yet his fellow walking dead Gai did.)

That just shows that Gekkiganger truly never leaves you. lol

A joke battle, albeit one that did later give the heroes a hint of the Myceneans existing. Would've thought the Mazinger Z lost after it got Ashura'ed, and that the secret where I get it back would be because the Myceneans had found and claimed it after Dr. Hell's defeat. -But no, Koji was in his old machine here. Jun shows up in the second Venus A (why not call it Diana A?), and now Lori and Loru make an appearance after sitting out Mazinkaiser, was the Million Alpha exclusive to the Ankoku Daishogun follow-up?

No, they were in the original. In fact, they've been there all the way to the original manga (though die during the final battle against Dr. Hell). Though I don't recall if they showed up in the original anime.

And unlike J, it's stated here that Professor Yumi has given out Photon Power generators to alleviate some of the global N-Jammer energy crisis problem. Also Getter Ray generators, which strikes me as odd, but then Getter is plotless here, and the trio are their classic anime selves, so I can envision the watering-down took the danger off the Rays.

Haha, yeah, if its the original TV classic, then not much to worry about it.

In Alpha Gaiden, they also use Photon/Getter generators to supply power to Project Aegis. 

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

13 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it's official. I hate FF8, now

Using the old "cinematic cutscene announcement trailer with no gameplay to build hype" trick for historical strategy game Civ 7 is so funny to me. I could not think of a genre more worthless to use that method on. You see this? This is EU5, this is Humankind 2, This is the first DLC trailer for Millennia. I fucking love video games.

25 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Using the old "cinematic cutscene announcement trailer with no gameplay to build hype" trick for historical strategy game Civ 7 is so funny to me. I could not think of a genre more worthless to use that method on. You see this? This is EU5, this is Humankind 2, This is the first DLC trailer for Millennia. I fucking love video games.

These games are literally all gameplay.

...On the other hand, I guess Civ is such an established name at this point that they could just, not show anything ever and people'd still buy it.

Sweet-Hades.png

Reactor Voltekka going into the SRW MAP Hall of Fame? Strong, no friendly-fire, large area yet flexible. Cybuster and Zeorymer are crying.😂

A short split again (I know it's short, given the next chapter with a secret is 35, which doesn't have a letter listed next to its name on Akurasu). Joining Neue Warter sounds like an Einst or not, feels like the choice was oddly written, because why wouldn't Kazuma want to rejoin the old cause? Even setting that aside, it was GGG (+Nadesico) for joining, ASTRAY if I didn't. Given my intents for this playthrough, the choice was obvious.

Some mysterious ordinary guy named Tomoru who seems to be associated with Detonator Orgun (which being a three-episode OVA, I get why it's been continually teased, yet so little shown, the Evoluted Armada still isn't here just yet). And more importantly I get to meet these new Tekkaman Blade II Armed Tekkamen. Their designs are glamorously colorful. They've each the name of a season, yet there is only three, wherever is "Autumn"?🍂 The possibility of having four of these guys/gals... do I actually eject Blade and his sister from my final team, to make room for the new blood?🤔 I feel like jettisoning Great Mazinger (sorry Tetsuya) -which I had already considered- might not be enough.

I get another Guy-Gai joke here. And a touch more of GGG Final too. Why is Bionet continuing to use Real license grunts?

...I redid the start of this map twice, Tekkaman Sword carries an S Barrier and I really wanted it b/c Supers without barriers love 'em. Yet she leaves in like two turns after showing up and retreats when her HP gets low enough. I opted for a Hell & Heaven paired to a Proton Punisher Drive from Valguard (Kazuma has Support Attack, rare for a Super in W) to get the kill.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No, they were in the original. In fact, they've been there all the way to the original manga (though die during the final battle against Dr. Hell). Though I don't recall if they showed up in the original anime.

So that's why Million Alpha has the unexpected Self-Destruct?

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haha, yeah, if its the original TV classic, then not much to worry about it.

Good, I wouldn't want some old lady to curl up in bed with her cat, start reading a good book, and then the peculiar light emitted by the lamp on her nightstand causes her to grin like a madman (the cat too).

51 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

-At least they said they'll show real footage two months from now. Not sure why not now, but two months ain't so bad.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...On the other hand, I guess Civ is such an established name at this point that they could just, not show anything ever and people'd still buy it.

-Except for all the hardcore fans who incessantly complain about the terrible Civ VI AI. You'll find many of those on the Web if you know where to look. -Fortunately I'm a more casual player who plays to see my virtual empire relaxingly grow like a garden.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Except for all the hardcore fans who incessantly complain about the terrible Civ VI AI. You'll find many of those on the Web if you know where to look. -Fortunately I'm a more casual player who plays to see my virtual empire relaxingly grow like a garden.

Oh yeah, I've seen some of those around. Can't really speak for them as I've only played 5 and 6 but, hey.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sweet-Hades.png

Reactor Voltekka going into the SRW MAP Hall of Fame? Strong, no friendly-fire, large area yet flexible. Cybuster and Zeorymer are crying.😂

Well, now that does sound handy, heh.

The possibility of having four of these guys/gals... do I actually eject Blade and his sister from my final team, to make room for the new blood?🤔 I feel like jettisoning Great Mazinger (sorry Tetsuya) -which I had already considered- might not be enough.

Well, do remember the first Tekkaman story is yet to be over, so Blade will be plot relevant for quite a while. Might as well take him to the end.

I get another Guy-Gai joke here. And a touch more of GGG Final too. Why is Bionet continuing to use Real license grunts?

I'm trying to recall, but perhaps it's because they don't have units of their own to use? SRW tends to do that. Though even then, this is not new for GGG. Alpha 2 and 3 have Mobile Suits under Zonder Metal control, for example. Complete with Zonder Metal being the "pilots".

Though in many cases, they tend to have the units be AI controlled to avoid having actual cross-piloting. I'm reminded how the Titans in Alpha Gaiden have a couple Mobile Dolls from Endless Waltz, but also a few Macross units... which are also AI controlled.

So that's why Million Alpha has the unexpected Self-Destruct?

I suppose so.

Good, I wouldn't want some old lady to curl up in bed with her cat, start reading a good book, and then the peculiar light emitted by the lamp on her nightstand causes her to grin like a madman (the cat too).

You say that like it's a bad thing. Come on, believe in Getter

Scenario 34, which continues the prior chapter's split, done. Fairly short and easy (like the prior fight, it feels like it should've been a defend, but it wasn't). More Blade II, more GGGF, more gradual teasing of Orgun. TenRyuJin has taken form and Renais's backstory explained. The arrival of the Alien Tekkamen... who were their leaders in Tekkaman Blade II? Wouldn't Omega and the rest been long dead? Has the evil body been absorbed, but the head removed? If SRW was willing to do it across licenses by giving Zarl and Vega to the Godmars bad guy, then there's no reason they couldn't with the grunts of Blade II to their predecessors within the same license. And D-Boy is covertly back already (I see Balzac helped him), with an awful obvious alias and the unquestionable perfect disguise.😎 Aki ditching the Blue Earth (well, Mic Sounders and Million Alpha can provide sufficient Repair & Resupply) and becoming an Armed Tekkaman herself is nice, a lack of strong attacks tells me she probably ought to be able to Double Voltekka with Blade once he's back, maybe even Triple Voltekka (the new recruits can do that) when you add in her future sister-in-law.

Afterwards, the heroes cross the Atlantic and pick up the Junkmen in the Sahara. Duo and Trowa are back too (Heero and Wufei are mentioned as working for bad guys for some reason, Quatre-Zechs-Noin haven't been spoken of), and they all fought the Martian Successors without Nad B around, slightly odd. So this is how Kazuma would be forced into Neue Warter had I opted not to join before the start of the prior chapter.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The arrival of the Alien Tekkamen... who were their leaders in Tekkaman Blade II? Wouldn't Omega and the rest been long dead? Has the evil body been absorbed, but the head removed? If SRW was willing to do it across licenses by giving Zarl and Vega to the Godmars bad guy, then there's no reason they couldn't with the grunts of Blade II to their predecessors within the same license.

Will admit I've yet to look that up, but considering how they sandwiched the sequel into a midquel here, perhaps they still keep the main bad guy, but is now subservient to Omega? I guess we'll see.

21 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it's official. I hate FF8, now

Speakin as one who hasn’t tried that one yet, what’s the problem?

1 hour ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Speakin as one who hasn’t tried that one yet, what’s the problem?

Never had any issues myself with it!

Scenario 35 took a bit. The first little scene is more abridged SEED, where taking down Not-Ramba is the objective -although Akurasu saying this is required for Nicol, it must actually be optional. He's only here to defend a retreat, so presumably this two-minute scuffle ends after like turn 2 if you don't defeat him. Given he starts at much-reduced 9k HP and you've five units, two with Zeal, all at 140 Will owing to the fighting that occurred offscreen, it's very easy. -Even if I won't get the boy who raised his death flag to full-staff in J when he started talking about that piano recital on this W playthrough.

My real concern was if Cagalli for the Integrated Weapon Striker Pack would only be available in this briefest encounter, since she needs five kills to unlock it, and there was only six enemies here. Thankfully, she actually stays around for the entirety of the real second map in this episode, so it's very easy to get her those kills. -I didn't want to risk her narratively retreating during part two though, so I went back and replayed the opening, using her Zeal and Support Attacks (the kill officially goes to the character being Supported in W, IIRC it's the Support whose record gets it in 30) the Orb princess (caught me off guard, the daughter of Orb's leader yes, but J never called Orb an Emirate) got three. 

Quatre was in the desert, well that's logical for the Sandrock. He even gained a Maganac Corps attack, wasn't expecting he'd be the kind to command the proud peoples of the sands, though I do recall reading in AP that the Sandrock has good comms components (hence it's Full Upgrade (or "Custom" as 30 calls it) Bonus giving it EWAC). ...Seina is still alive and was even playable here in an M6 Bushnel, as weak as that thing is. Trying to do something with a long dead woman of minor significance, and after the battle, I can't say they're doing it badly either. ...Though what was the point of including this Gail guy here, besides being Urzu 1? He said and did nothing of note.

Full Metal Panic! takes the stage here, it's been quite a while since it last got any serious action, beyond Silver Boy's musings to Blue Idiot (though I missed some of FMP in W's first half due to split choices). I don't think Zayed was said in J to be the mentor who was only 11(?) when Sosuke was a child in Africa? -Honestly, with the portraits in J/W so small, and his face so... deathly nihilistic, my guess was that Zayed was like 40 or something. Here, on FMP's second appearance, things got much more personal. Gauron takes to the field too, spamming Zeal-Focus-Strike, even Valor on himself, plus the annoying Lambda Driver. Rather than risk him killing someone, once he showed up, I kept everyone away and had Valguard safely distract the Codarl and punch through his surviving grunts. Gauron's organization -A21- wasn't named in J, he was simply a terrorist-mercenary there.

The Radam I didn't think would show, not a single Tekkaman was a mandatory deploy here. Blade has already rejoined from his MIA status (with a new portrait, though D-Boy's remains the same), even has a very potent Double Reactor Voltekka combo with Tekkaman Hive. I didn't field Aki here so I didn't see if they've a combination, but I did notice after the battle that she copies whatever upgrades Blade had at the end of W's first half. More than a few of the Radam tried to be funny, and used Combo attacks targeting Valguard and Gauron. I briskly cleaned out Tekkaman Lance and his goons before ending the battle by defeating the Codarl. Gauron is captive now -his mass-suicidal rampage I await.🙄 And D-Boy alludes after the battle to that whole limited-lifespan issue being a Tekkaman comes with, though Blaster Mode methinks ~10 episodes away.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Quatre was in the desert, well that's logical for the Sandrock. He even gained a Maganac Corps attack, wasn't expecting he'd be the kind to command the proud peoples of the sands, though I do recall reading in AP that the Sandrock has good comms components (hence it's Full Upgrade (or "Custom" as 30 calls it) Bonus giving it EWAC).

Yeah, if you don't see TV Wing, or play through a SRW game that has it, then it's easy to miss that Quatre is effectively a "Desert Guerrilla Prince". The Sandrock was designed to be a lead unit to the mechs the Maganac use, as it was in part inspired by them. As for the Maganac themselves, I believe one of the plot points of early TV Wing is that unification of the Earth Sphere has been almost achieved, but there are still some countries, space colonies, and independent groups acting as holdouts. Since the unitary government, hijacked from the shadows by the Romfeller Foundation (OZ being their military wing), had basically become tyrannical and was conquering whoever wasn't joining willingly. The Maganac were one such group opposing them, operating not just in the Middle East and much of the Mediterranean, but also in space. That's how Quatre met them before becoming a Gundam Pilot, and why after he became one he was even encouraged to join the Maganac.

As it is, the Maganac are seldom used in SRW. Only in SRW 64 do they actually show up as actual on-map units. Their other appearance is in the form of the Maganac Corps attack for the Sandrock, and then as you saw in A, it's not in every game. I believe the attack only showed up for Alpha 2, Alpha 3, D, W, and L. Because of this, only the Maganac leader, Rashid, tends to show up in SRW. Although L did had two more actually show up in dialogue.

Full Metal Panic! takes the stage here, it's been quite a while since it last got any serious action, beyond Silver Boy's musings to Blue Idiot (though I missed some of it in W's first half via split choices). I don't think Zayed was outright said in J to be the one who was only 11(?) when Sosuke was a child in Africa? -Honestly, with the portraits in J/W so small, and his face so... deathly nihilistic, my guess was that Zayed was like 40 or something. Here, on FMP's second appearance, things got much more personal. Gauron takes to the field too, spamming Zeal-Focus-Strike, even Valor on himself, plus the annoying Lambda Driver. Rather than risk him killing someone, once he showed up, I kept everyone away and had Valguard safely distract the Codarl and punch through his surviving grunts. Gauron's organization -A21- wasn't named in J, he was simply a terrorist-mercenary there.

Oh yeah, Gauron is still alive, huh. I do believe he does die in the first series, as you saw in J. But since W is also using The Second Raid, then might as well keep him alive for the second part too.

The Radam I didn't think would show, not a single Tekkaman was a mandatory deploy here. Blade has already rejoined from his MIA status (with a new portrait, though D-Boy's remains the same), even has a very potent Double Reactor Voltekka combo with Tekkaman Hive. I didn't field Aki here so I didn't see if they've a combination, but I did notice after the battle that she copies whatever upgrades Blade had at the end of W's first half. More than a few of the Radam tried to be funny, and used Combo attacks targeting Valguard and Gauron. I briskly cleaned out Tekkaman Lance and his goons before ending the battle by defeating the Codarl. Gauron is captive now -his mass-suicidal rampage I await.🙄 And D-Boy alludes after the battle to that whole limited-lifespan issue being a Tekkaman comes with, though Blaster Mode methinks 10 or more episodes away.

Blade and Aki do have a combination attack. If you use Blade, then it's certainly not a bad idea to use Aki too, as it were.

Wait, FMP hasn't reached the end of its first part yet? Guess I spoke too soon then about whether Guardon dies or gets to live for The Second Raid, haha. Well, we'll see.