Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

The Second Robbin Hood fight in DQIII was surprisingly close, the first match nearly killed me, the RNG was merciful with who the quad-Restless Armor recolors targeted in the prior fight. I ran out of MP on my Priest, and I was almost out of Medicinal Herbs too.

About to get the boat now, thank you king of not-Portugal! I'll consider playing as you tomorrow.

I'm a little surprised the game gave me a Garter for the Vamp personality so early, my Thief has it now, best growths in the game her she comes!

Oh, and the whole "buffs/debuffs & ailments never wear off as turns pass in battle" is not so fun antiquated. Neither is this "curse of the Golden Claws", charming though it may be. Nor Canniboxes, in the absence of Whack, just dealing 1HKO levels of damage in the first place. Fortunately, the autosave function of this version of the game means I lose little progress suddenly closing the game in these kinds of instances.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You've defeated the chapter that the developers couldn't (probably because they didn't even try)!

Reminds me how I read that for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night -an Action RPG thats basically a knockoff Metroidvania- they needed play-testers to defeat every single boss with just a puny, short-ranged, basic knife without taking any damage before each boss got their final approval.

It'd be a lot harder to come up with such a stringent litmus test for FE, but they should try.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I sure hope stealth sections won't be a pain.

There aren't any Metal Gear Sagi segments, nor things like the long room of many slumbering Clubbas in the Gusty Gulch mansion in the first Paper Mario. Just a few sleeping enemies here and there.

You'll get to control Guillo in a bit. Do be aware, he can be KO'ed even not under your control, the first boss can do this. If his posture looks bad, throw a potion at him.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

There aren't any Metal Gear Sagi segments, nor things like the long room of many slumbering Clubbas in the Gusty Gulch mansion.

Dont forget grabbing the key on the bridge in disc 4 of FF8! Xd in Ultimecias castle, of course.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm, I see.

How come?

Because i'm lazy.

No the real reason is because whenever i plug in my Pro Controller, the inputs start having seizures unless i launch the game through Steam's Big Picture Mode. This includes emulation, i'd have to launch Dolphin through Steam's Big Picture Mode in order for my PC to recognize Pro Controller inputs.

So while i could, i don't want to unless i have to.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You'll get to control Guillo in a bit. Do be aware, he can be KO'ed even not under your control, the first boss can do this. If his posture looks bad, throw a potion at him.

I lost the first fight right outside the back entrance to mansion and this game doesn't seem to let you try again unlike Eternal Wings.

I uh.....probably skipped the tutorial on accident. Care to give me the basic tips?

Call me crazy if you wish, but I did. Went over to my cousin's, signed-up my profile in his Switch, and bought SDatSoL. Now I can play it on PC with a clear conscience. For when I get a Switch of my own. Even shaved the price off a little with my Gold Coins, for its worth.

Hmm, my cousin had not used his Switch in a while. I wonder if I can convince him to sell it to me...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Second Robbin Hood fight in DQIII was surprisingly close, the first match nearly killed me, the RNG was merciful with who the quad-Restless Armor recolors targeted in the prior fight. I ran out of MP on my Priest, and I was almost out of Medicinal Herbs too.

About to get the boat now, thank you king of not-Portugal! I'll consider playing as you tomorrow.

I'm a little surprised the game gave me a Garter for the Vamp personality so early, my Thief has it now, best growths in the game her she comes!

Oh, and the whole "buffs/debuffs & ailments never wear off as turns pass in battle" is not so fun antiquated. Neither is this "curse of the Golden Claws", charming though it may be. Nor Canniboxes, in the absence of Whack, just dealing 1HKO levels of damage in the first place. Fortunately, the autosave function of this version of the game means I lose little progress suddenly closing the game in these kinds of instances.

Did you not used Snooze or Dazzle? The flunkies can be inflicted with those. Unless you got bad RNG there.

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Dont forget grabbing the key on the bridge in disc 4 of FF8! Xd in Ultimecias castle, of course.

It's been years since I played VIII, my memories of the final witch's time-compressed castle are fairly few. I remember the whole "stealing your abilities", the organ you have to smash every button at once on, the many distinctive segments, but not that which you mention. 

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I lost the first fight right outside the back entrance to mansion and this game doesn't seem to let you try again unlike Eternal Wings.

I uh.....probably skipped the tutorial on accident. Care to give me the basic tips?

I'm not sure if I remember there being any tutorials.😅

But sure, I'll give a primer on the battle system for you.

• In this game, you have only one deck shared by all three characters.
    • Once a Magnus has been played, it is automatically reshuffled into the deck.
    • You can discard cards in your hand which you don't want. This does cost your turn, but the wait time it inflicts is small.
      • The number of cards you can discard increases as your Class Level goes up, which is done in the Endmost Bethel- the Church as it was referred to in the prior game. 
    • A bar below your HP shows you how long you have to wait until your next action. The more attacks you play, the longer the wait until your next turn.
    • Supportive Magnus, which you can only play one of at once, have varying wait times.
    • You have one equipment slot per character, next to a character's HP. You can fill it with a weapon or armor that the character can use.
      • Who can use a piece of equipment is determined by the color of the circle in the lower right: greenish-blue for Sagi, purple for Guillo, red for Milly, white means all of them can use it.
      • Equipment has durability, for weapons, this goes down with every hit performed; with armor, with every hit taken. Once its durability is gone, or you play another piece of equipment on that character, the card is reshuffled into the deck.
    • MP, indicated by the vertical meter to the right,  is earned via performing the basic Weak/Medium/Strong Attacks. The amount earned increases as Class level goes up.
    • MP can store up to 5 levels at once, a Special costs MP equal to its level.

As for deck composition- don't overdo it with equipment, but some is fundamental, your choice whether you prefer more weapons for damage or armor for durability. A few healing card are essential too, you don't need to go overboard with them when you can discard to find them faster when you need to. Then add plenty of Attacks, which are the basic form of offense, and some Specials for every character. Support cards that aren't healing can be added according to your tastes.

I hope this helps. I know it's probably not the best.

With just Sagi under your control, things are a tad rough at the very beginning. But again, give it time, it will get better.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Did you not used Snooze or Dazzle? The flunkies can be inflicted with those. Unless you got bad RNG there.

I thought maybe to try those, but I never did.

Not sure why Origins has a stamina meter. Doesn't really feel like the game that needs it.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In this game, you have only one deck shared by all three characters.

Is this why i can't seem to play cards as freely? It seems i can only go up numbers and while i don't necessarily have to start with a 1, i can't seem to do 1 -> 3 or even 1 -> 1.

A bar below your HP shows you how long you have to wait until your next action. The more attacks you play, the longer the wait until your next turn.

• MP, indicated by the vertical meter to the right,  is earned via performing the basic Weak/Medium/Strong Attacks. The amount earned increases as Class level goes up.
  • MP can store up to 5 levels at once, a Special costs MP equal to its level.

Yep, i've noticed this. Going from Eternal Wings, where Specials could be done with more freedom, to Origins where you can only do a Special provided it's MP level is reached, is a bit rough. But i'll get used to it hopefully.

Btw, there doesn't seem to be a "Wait" option for the combat but there are difficulty settings. I'm sticking with Easy for now.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought maybe to try those, but I never did.

And these are the sort of situations where a Mage's Kabuff, or even Oomph if you were there already, would've been useful...

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not sure why Origins has a stamina meter. Doesn't really feel like the game that needs it.

Don't overdo it to the point Sagi is fatigued and let an enemy engage you, that inflicts wait time on you when the battle starts.

On the other hand, if the Heartwing gauge fills to the point it changes color, but doesn't result in exhaustion, you can start a battle with a couple MP.

Is this why i can't seem to play cards as freely? It seems i can only go up numbers and while i don't necessarily have to start with a 1, i can't seem to do 1 -> 3 or even 1 -> 1.

For the basic attacks? You can't go from stronger-down, only upwards from weaker. You can do 1 > 3, but not 2 > 1. You can start with a 2 or 3, or even a Special (a level 1 Special basically a 4, a level 2 a 5), but you can't play anything below them. A piece of equipment of any kind is basically a "0" and can be played before anything else.

Going from Eternal Wings, where Specials could be done with more freedom, to Origins where you can only do a Special provided it's MP level is reached, is a bit rough. But i'll get used to it hopefully.

You only have Sagi right now, once Guillo and Milly are contributing, it generate faster. Milly in particular seems to generate more MP than the other two with her basic attacks.

A few supportive cards: Taunt, Will, Force, and the Warrior's Scarf piece of equipment, can generate some MP too.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And these are the sort of situations where a Mage's Kabuff, or even Oomph if you were there already, would've been useful...

Well excuuuuuse me! Can you blame me when subsequent DQ games gave Kabuff to Priests and left Mages as single-target damage garbage except via Oomphing others? And I've played plenty of the modern old-school that is Etrian Odyssey, wherein ditching an offensive mage class in no way heavily cripples a team.

Yes, I get it now, DQIII is different, Mages are actually worth a Wormadam. But it's late to just add one all of a sudden.

Well excuuuuuse me! Can you blame me when subsequent DQ games gave Kabuff to Priests and left Mages as single-target damage garbage except via Oomphing others? And I've played plenty of the modern old-school that is Etrian Odyssey, wherein ditching an offensive mage class in no way heavily cripples a team.

Yes, I get it now, DQIII is different, Mages are actually worth a Wormadam. But it's late to just add one all of a sudden.

Considering Alltrades Abbey is right near Baharata...

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering Alltrades Abbey is right near Baharata...

Awww... but I've grown attached to my silent flavorless characters! If there is someone I'd want to get rid of... darned it'd be Eventual Erdrick! Although he is starting to pull his weight more now, maybe the Martial Artist should go. Then again, would a Thief age more poorly? But Nose for Treasure is nifty. I can't decide.

>Meets a certain character in Origins who looks vaguely familiar

Me: "Don't you say it, don't you say it"

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Son of a-

...hey wait, he isn't supposed to look like that? I know Origins takes place 20 years earlier but we saw what Geldoblame looked like 20 years earlier and it wasn't this. So either something happens that turns him into a fat piece of shit or this is an inconsistency. 

Let's see what happens.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You can't go from stronger-down, only upwards from weaker. You can do 1 > 3, but not 2 > 1.

I see. Kinda wish it wasn't so, looks like it could be restrictive but this could also just be early game syndrome.

Haha, I got reminded somewhat of the little roleplaying I was giving to my party when I played DQIII...

If you have to drop a class, I'd say Thief. Their best utility is to, well, steal items. Party full of thieves can really up your chances, specially since there is a formula instead of a flat success rate, so the more they level, the higher the chance to steal goes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Son of a-

Whatever is the matter? All I see is a handsome, promising civil servant before you.😜

Of all the characters they picked to reintroduce first, it was him. Interesting choice. They even gave Geldoflayne a small profile page on the now-gone mini-website to advertise the game.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

...hey wait, he isn't supposed to look like that? I know Origins takes place 20 years earlier but we saw what Geldoblame looked like 20 years earlier and it wasn't this. So either something happens that turns him into a fat piece of shit or this is an inconsistency. 

If you're referring to the flashback scene in the Imperial Fortress throne room, that was Operation Sweep, which was like a year before EWatLO begins. He had time to pack on the pounds and the makeup.

Also, I don't think they put a ton of effort into the flashbacks of EWatLO, I think Kalas with his child portrait in the one flashback still had his 3D young adult body model if I was paying attention.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Of all the characters they picked to reintroduce first, it was him. Interesting choice.

I mean, i'm not too surprised since the game starts in Alfard. You also get to see Lyude's siblings as children, albeit with no portraits (Lyude himself has not yet been born) but still, the moment i saw him, i just knew it was him.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you're referring to the flashback scene in the Imperial Fortress throne room, that was Operation Sweep, which was like a year before EWatLO begins. He had time to pack on the pounds and the makeup.

I'm actually referring to the flashback where Kalas' grandfather fakes his death and Giacomo is like "Emperor, the lab has gone in flame" and Geldoblame responds with an angry "ugh". 

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

LET'S GOOOOO CHAOTIC DANCE 2 BABYYYYYYYYY

Also i refuse to believe this game takes place 20 years earlier. I know they probably didn't plan on a prequel but this feels....older than 20 years.

Why does Thrashingale do 100000000 damage, what the hell.

I'm exaggerating with the numbers but he literally hits Milly once with that move and she drops dead and for Sagi and Guillo, it takes away like 80% of their HP.

Easy mode btw.

This is literally the second boss fight, it should not be this hard.

I'm gonna go grind.

Edit: Oh goodie, EXP cheats. Since that's a thing, that's the only cheat i'll be using and only when i need to grind.

Edited by Armagon

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If you gotta cheat, then just go all the way.

As hilarious as that would be, i would actually not like to break the game this early.

Thankfully, the infinite HP cheats in this game only apply during battle and it doesn't actually raise your HP. Meaning i can simply turn it on for the stupid fights and turn it off when it's over.

Well I mean, can't really comment much as I don't know the games that well, but having to resort to cheating that early is... well...

Maybe this one didn't got playtested enough either. Or the problem is more how you're playing...

Edited by Acacia Sgt