Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

From my understanding Ajax isn't even immortal like some previous enemies were.

Easiest way to kill him is probably to use the Stun Pilum. Since that will disable all the buffs from his swords. Of course rigging is basically required here.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

...It was funny, at first I thought the chapter was literally just the prelude again. Imagine my surprise when I tried skipping the enemy phase and suddenly Lon'qu was deployed and dead.

Yeah. Not sure why Vailidar needed Robin to stab Chrom when he and his gang weren't even promoted at the time. Any grunt could probably have finished off the whole gang at that point.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Idk, if you ask me, that could make for an interesting storyline. Someone who carries the blood of two immortal enemies could make for some interesting plot.

But I'm not a Castlevania fan so idk.

Bear in mind that the new-universe Lords of Shadow trilogy that got criticized has the first game end with the Belmont hero, Gabriel, becoming Dracula. And the second game (the 3DS title Mirror of Fate) has new-universe Trevor as the son Dracula didn't know he had, fight him. Trevor then dies without his father knowing his name but learning they're father-son, and Drac bites his son's corpse in a seemingly futile attempt to revive him and throws him in a coffin labeled "Alucard" to give him some name. Apparently enough time passes for Trevor's son, Simon, to grow up, but eventually the vampire Alucard awakens.

Lords of Shadow is something I've never played, but is usually criticized by franchise fans. Not entirely sure why, although I haven't looked into it.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This just in folks, distant prequels and distant sequels are not allowed to exist.

I wouldn't say the criticisms of Awakening as a "sequel" are without merit.

Awakening does try via the Einherjar, regalia weapons, character archetypes, and various mechanics and whatnot to invoke the entire past of FE. It sorta succeeds at doing that in those instances. But with regards to the physical world itself, it does fail spectacularly.

It's not inexplicable that "Grima terraformed the planet", or that Wyverns would migrate to Valentia (horses didn't exist in the Americas until the Spanish let some loose). But the game never explains any of the radical changes, and without explanations, it can feel like "why bother?" with use of the same world. If we had actual explanations, it'd feel less lazy and careless than it is. Why not use an OC world that just so happens to mirror an old one in so many aspects if you aren't going to explain? An OC world wouldn't need those explanations.

The Einherjar, to bring those up again, do have an explanation, magic cards imbued with an "artist's portrayal" of a character, characters that have existed in various dimensions. And therefore, although it isn't perfect world-building, it works for me. 

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Someone phone Namco. Symphonia isn't allowed to exist because it took place 8000 years before Phantasia and just about everything was different.

Sylvarant & Tethealla/Aselia can exist fine, Dhaos and Derris Kharlan are the biggest issue I think. 

This said, I just ignore the two being related, not b/c Symph or Phant are bad, but because it isn't truly necessary and doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyhow. I can see it as Namco wondering how they make their first 3D Tales, and decided to play it safe by aping the very first Tales.

The Dawn of the New World ending, wherein there is a nod to one discrepancy between ToS and ToP, is neat, but that doesn't make me love the connection either.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

I guess that means Zelda can't exist either, what with games like WW and TP taking place many years after Ocarina. Or SS before the entire series. Or BotW taking place after everything else.

I'll accept OoT > WW, but the rest is nonsense IMO. Each story can be enjoyed on its own, Nintendo makes barely any effort to interlink them, so why should I?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, this map was just badly designed. I didn't even need rescue, I just flew Panne up to Aversa and sent her flying.

Well, the chapter was a nod to the old Jugdrali Deadlords ("Dark Warlords") concept. It explains the scarcity of enemies, they named "elites".

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is where our journey ends...

So close to the finish line. It'd be that, another rout, another... boss kill I think, and then the final battle, where the game tells you to blitz the boss real fast before endless reinforcements get you.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll accept OoT > WW, but the rest is nonsense IMO. Each story can be enjoyed on its own, Nintendo makes barely any effort to interlink them, so why should I?

Agreed. Completely. Zelda might as well be Ys at this point.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah. Not sure why Vailidar needed Robin to stab Chrom when he and his gang weren't even promoted at the time. Any grunt could probably have finished off the whole gang at that point.

Oh, wait, right. Chrom is unpromoted. You know, at this point I'd completely forgotten he even is a unit, to the point where I didn't even consider complaining about the fact that there's like 3 chapters left and Chrom is still unpromoted. Chrom is literally Roy.

Well, the chapter was a nod to the old Jugdrali Deadlords ("Dark Warlords") concept. It explains the scarcity of enemies, they named "elites".

But... Couldn't they at least have put Aversa behind the deadlords? You know, as opposed to wide open so I could just end the chapter in less than 30 seconds?

So close to the finish line. It'd be that, another rout, another... boss kill I think, and then the final battle, where the game tells you to blitz the boss real fast before endless reinforcements get you.

...You know what?

Fuck it. I've got Panne. I'm eating this game for breakfast.

WAAAAAAAAAHAAAHAHAHAAHAH! YES! FLAVIA AND BASILIO ARE MINE AT LAST! AND THEY HAVE STATS TO MATCH PANNE! The game is fucking over.

...But first reset and rethink, because Sully died. I think the key might be to just deploy Panne and Gregor and leave it at that, honestly.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

...Except Ys stories are interlinked

I've always heard that they're mostly standalone (1 and 2 aside). Is that not the case?

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sylvarant & Tethealla/Aselia can exist fine, Dhaos and Derris Kharlan are the biggest issue I think. 

This said, I just ignore the two being related, not b/c Symph or Phant are bad, but because it isn't truly necessary and doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyhow. I can see it as Namco wondering how they make their first 3D Tales, and decided to play it safe by aping the very first Tales.

The Dawn of the New World ending, wherein there is a nod to one discrepancy between ToS and ToP, is neat, but that doesn't make me love the connection either.

How would they be a problem?

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I've always heard that they're mostly standalone (1 and 2 aside). Is that not the case?

you can enjoy them alone, yes, but the stories are connected. Not in a way like Trails where you have to play every game in the series, but an overaching plot in the background that long time fans will recognize while newbies will be able to enjoy the stories of the game without missing something that will hurt their experience for that game

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

you can enjoy them alone, yes, but the stories are connected. Not in a way like Trails where you have to play every game in the series, but an overaching plot in the background that long time fans will recognize while newbies will be able to enjoy the stories of the game without getting hurt

I see then. My bad for misunderstanding.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

How would they be a problem?

Derris-Kharlan doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to having anything of a "culture" in it in Symphonia, which would certainly be the case for ToP's Derris Kharlan. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Traitor to Heaven changing the circumstances such that it becomes possible, but the inhabitants of Derris as we see them, seem "robotic".

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, wait, right. Chrom is unpromoted. You know, at this point I'd completely forgotten he even is a unit, to the point where I didn't even consider complaining about the fact that there's like 3 chapters left and Chrom is still unpromoted. Chrom is literally Roy.

And you didn’t promote Chrom because..?

Don’t tell me you just assumed he would have a story based promotion.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Derris-Kharlan doesn't seem like it'd lend itself to having anything of a "culture" in it in Symphonia, which would certainly be the case for ToP's Derris Kharlan. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Traitor to Heaven changing the circumstances such that it becomes possible, but the inhabitants of Derris as we see them, seem "robotic".

I mean, we're talking about the planet's state thousands of years apart. We know the process of reversing the effects of the angels worked in Symphonia, could've been replicated long before Phantasia took place. If not, perhaps it just happened overtime. Like just the next generation wouldn't be like them, so it began with them.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

And you didn’t promote Chrom because..?

Don’t tell me you just assumed he would have a story based promotion.

You know, "rout 40 enemies" seems a lot more intimidating than it really is when you've got the Pannerminator.

As it is, it's already almost over, first try. Who needs an army? They're just going to hold her back.

Can we also appreciate that Lucina claimed her father taught her to fight with a sword, but she is still an infant during the events where he died.

Of course Chrom also somehow tore a hole into the Ylisse palace walls during "training", which they just kinda covered up with bushes and evidently never fixed it, considering Lucina knows about it. So I could most certainly believe he would try to teach an infant how to use swords.

Come to think of it, this also explains how Ylisse just casually got conquered offscreen between two cutscenes. I mean, if they just don't fix their damn walls.

Edited by BrightBow

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, that’s okay. Happens in like, every other fe.

But yeah, I think Chrom was 20/20 by this point on my run. That would explain why he wasn’t absolutely destroying the game for you.

As it is, it's already almost over, first try. Who needs an army? They're just going to hold her back.

54EXEKz.jpg
7ZW0m2w.png
ignore the fact that one image is super low quality and they’re not even remotely the same size, thank you

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:

But yeah, I think Chrom was 20/20 by this point on my run.

Hahahahah.

He's level 10.

...10/-

Just now, Sooks said:

54EXEKz.jpg
7ZW0m2w.png

I mean, we joke and meme, but for the last chapter and this one she, Gregor and the Ferox duo are the only ones who have gotten deployed because the rest literally DO hold her back.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, we joke and meme, but for the last chapter and this one she, Gregor and the Ferox duo are the only ones who have gotten deployed because the rest literally DO hold her back.

Welcome to Awakening's definition of "strategy".

I definitely remembered Awakening having more rout maps than it does apparently.

Not like it really matters most of the time when unless you're trying to be quick there's little point not to.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hahahahah.

He's level 10.

...10/-

I did this on my run but it was Chrom and Lucina with their respective backpacks.

This is so fucking sad. The full extent of my moves for this map has been "move units to fort, wait." That's it. I'm winning with this. Even the boss is bringing himself to us. it's taking me longer to write this post than to beat the map.

Just now, Sooks said:

I did this on my run but it was Chrom and Lucina with their respective backpacks.

Ah, yes. Lucina.

...I've literally never used her--

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Welcome to Awakening's definition of "strategy".

You know, people here like to dunk on you for being way too persistent, but...

...Yeah. You're 100% right. This game is awful. Amazingly so, but awful nonetheless.