Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 hours ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Hey, welcome to the thread! Also, nice Cullen pfp

Thanks! 😃

And in all honesty, I kinda just put that pic there XD I do kinda like Cullen, but I just thought the art was nice, and I was trying to find some images for a DnD game at that time and just went with it on a whim XD Not even sure if I knew who CUllen was back then, haha. I never know what to use as pfps XP But thanks as well for that 😃 

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Then you'll fit in very well, Ruben's a masochist too!

😎 If you're to enjoy life, you gotta learn to take its beatings 

FHBU9zeVIAAVRx7?format=jpg&name=large

Gonna be replaying this as well, wanna see how my opinion of it holds up after playing the rest of the series.

It'll probably still remain the best game in the series but i wanna be sure.

6 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Thanks! 😃

And in all honesty, I kinda just put that pic there XD I do kinda like Cullen, but I just thought the art was nice, and I was trying to find some images for a DnD game at that time and just went with it on a whim XD Not even sure if I knew who CUllen was back then, haha. I never know what to use as pfps XP But thanks as well for that 😃 

Imma be honest, i just see Chris Pratt there. That's who i keep seeing everytime i see your pfp.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Gonna be replaying this as well, wanna see how my opinion of it holds up after playing the rest of the series.

Oooh, the Atelier series was my favorite when I was growing up. I played the Iris trilogy so much! My personal favorite will always be Mana Khemia 1. I kinda dropped it after Meruru though, I wasn't that much a fan of the calendar and action limitation system. I did think picking up Escha and Logy eventually.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Imma be honest, i just see Chris Pratt there. That's who i keep seeing everytime i see your pfp.

Haha, I guess he does have a certain look to him, doesn't he? XD

Actually that reminds me @Father Shrimpas weren't you playing Atelier Lulua at one point?

2 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Oooh, the Atelier series was my favorite when I was growing up. I played the Iris trilogy so much! My personal favorite will always be Mana Khemia 1. I kinda dropped it after Meruru though, I wasn't that much a fan of the calendar and action limitation system. I did think picking up Escha and Logy eventually.

I am curious as to why you dropped it for those reasons considering Atelier's always had the time-limits....or rather, it did until Atelier Shallie. Time-limits stopped being a thing there, barring the time-limit in the first half of Atelier Firis and the brief time-limit in Ch.9 of Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

I myself am curious on the "classic" Atelier games though i did drop Atelier Marie and Atelier Elie after like 5 minutes because i vastly underestimated the age of those games.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I am curious as to why you dropped it for those reasons considering Atelier's always had the time-limits....or rather, it did until Atelier Shallie. Time-limits stopped being a thing there, barring the time-limit in the first half of Atelier Firis and the brief time-limit in Ch.9 of Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

I myself am curious on the "classic" Atelier games though i did drop Atelier Marie and Atelier Elie after like 5 minutes because i vastly underestimated the age of those games.

It annoyed me in Rorona, but I shrugged it off at being a one-off try (didn't play the ones before Iris). In Rorona Totori (flawless edit, no one saw that), it was still annoying, but I actually enjoyed the characters and art enough that I truly wanted to play it still. Meruru I just wasn't invested and it finally snapped my nerves. In Iris 1 and 2 you had no time limit, and the one in 3 was very aggravating, but I liked the class system and storyline enough to go through with it. There were time mechanics in Mana Khemia, but they were wildly different. It was mostly go do something else while it's nighttime and come back at daytime. It was a little annoying, but less so than the time constraints of Iris 3 and I still enjoyed the game a LOT other than that so it was fine. I do realize now that Iris and Khemia are rather peculiar among the Atelier series and not representative of the style. Also, I'm fine with time constraints, but don't make me choose between picking up an item, going into a fight, crafting an item or going somewhere, all with events appearing in specific places at a specific day. I have the planning skills of an amoeba and I tend to stick to a plan like soap.

Edited by Lorneus

I might try emulating an older FE game just to test the waters on what's possible on my little laptop. What do you folks think? What game before the GBA era should I give a try? I likely wont go all the way through it with the other stuff I got going on but it's be nice just to try out for a little while.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

.No. Hiking is not fun, hiking sounds fun. But like baking, gardening, decorating your house floor to ceiling in Christmas decor and other hobbies that sound great on paper, hiking is too much effort.

Perhaps it's a matter of slowly approaching the matter one step at a time. With hiking, a poor stamina can slow ye down. Already it's recommended that you drink two bottles of water every day to keep a healthy stamina and it certainly helps if you plan on hiking.

43 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Of course! 😃
But... what if I LIKE bites?

Kinky

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

I might try emulating an older FE game just to test the waters on what's possible on my little laptop. What do you folks think? What game before the GBA era should I give a try? I likely wont go all the way through it with the other stuff I got going on but it's be nice just to try out for a little while.

If you're looking for a challenge, Thracia. If you're looking for an experience, Genealogy. If you're looking to bleed through your eyes, the others.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Kinky

Always

8 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

In Rorona Totori (flawless edit, no one saw that), it was still annoying, but I actually enjoyed the characters and art enough that I truly wanted to play it still.

Very surprising because the time-limit is actually why Totori is my least favorite Atelier game. That shit was way too stressful for me and i like to play these games to unwind. I didn't mind the time-limit in Rorona (and Escha & Logy, which follows a similar structure) because it's super easy to get the main task out of the way and then just do whatever you want until it's time to advance the plot.

Escha & Logy is the third best game in the series imo but i am glad that time-limits have been done away with in the series for a good while now.

11 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I do realize now that Iris and Khemia are rather peculiar among the Atelier series and not representative of the style.

So here's something i started wondering after dabbling a bit in Marie and Elie. I think that the Iris trilogy is what shifted Atelier from being sims to being RPGs, just based off what i've heard about it. 

Like i've heard that Iris is "more traditional RPG compared to the rest of the series" but now i'm not so sure about that. It's probably closer to what Atelier has been for a long time now as opposed to what it once was.

53 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Of course! 😃
But... what if I LIKE bites?

Then you'll fit right in with this bunch of S & Ms Ü

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

weren't you playing Atelier Lulua at one point?

Yeah i fimished it like more than a year ago by now i think

I wanna tackle either dusk or Ryza sometime soon, but those prices ain't making it easy

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

What do you folks think? What game before the GBA era should I give a try?

FE4+FE5 are games every Fe fan has to experience imo. They are not without faults (FE4 is more on the zzz side, and FE5 is Kaga trolling, but easy otherwise), but they are unique enough to deserve a try atleast.

Edited by Father Shrimpas

Just now, Father Shrimpas said:

Yeah i fimished it like more than a year ago by now i think

I literally do not remember this.

Did you ever post a review or something? I'd like to read it if you did.

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

I wanna tackle either dusk or Ryza sometime soon, but those prices ain't making it easy

Oof. Blame Koei Tecmo for that.

I mean some of it might be on sale right now, idk.

Buying Atelier Ayesha at it's current full price isn't worth it anyway, that game kinda stinky.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Did you ever post a review or something? I'd like to read it if you did

https://old.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/iqofuh/rjrpg_discussion_what_have_you_been_playing_and/g4tsvw1/

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Blame Koei Tecmo for that.

Harder than Ninty to get their games for a decent price lol

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Very surprising because the time-limit is actually why Totori is my least favorite Atelier game. That shit was way too stressful for me and i like to play these games to unwind. I didn't mind the time-limit in Rorona (and Escha & Logy, which follows a similar structure) because it's super easy to get the main task out of the way and then just do whatever you want until it's time to advance the plot.

Oh, yeah, the time limit was dog-awful, I just liked everything else around it enough to actually want to keep at it and even attempt a second run, which made me rage-quit because I wasn't able to beat the sea-serpent in time yet again. The main tasks never bothered me, it's mostly the "every action takes some of your time" that's terrible to me.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So here's something i started wondering after dabbling a bit in Marie and Elie. I think that the Iris trilogy is what shifted Atelier from being sims to being RPGs, just based off what i've heard about it. 

Like i've heard that Iris is "more traditional RPG compared to the rest of the series" but now i'm not so sure about that. It's probably closer to what Atelier has been for a long time now as opposed to what it once was.

Those two statements confuse me quite a bit, but I think you're saying that before Iris, it was more a life simulation game and Iris shifted it to trad JRPG, and after the time constraints were dealt with they went back to a more Iris-type gameplay? I honestly know next to nothing about Marie to Violette and just assumed they were closer in style to Rorona and the likes of that, and that it would continue to go in that direction afterwards, even though I kept hope at every new game. I ended up getting disillusioned after Meruru, but I might pick up Escha and Logy or a newer one if it gets a good discount sometime. I always keep that small hope in my heart to find back that spark that ignited when I first played Iris 1 and Khemia 1 within this series. But yeah, Iris 1 to Khemia 2 are definitely more traditional JRPG oriented than the Arland trilogy at least.

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

And now I remember. I guess I just deleted this from my memory lol.

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Harder than Ninty to get their games for a decent price lol

Don't forget the stupid DLC pricing hahahahahahahaha $8 for additional options for Change BGM.

4 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I wasn't able to beat the sea-serpent in time yet again.

I swear that sea-serpent gatekeeps so many people from finishing the game. It gatekept me, it gatekept DragonFlames (a fellow Teehee-er, doesn't show up a lot these days), and now it gatekept you as well.

I dropped Atelier Ayesha for a similar reason too actually, though it wasn't as stressful as Totori.

7 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Those two statements confuse me quite a bit, but I think you're saying that before Iris, it was more a life simulation game and Iris shifted it to trad JRPG, and after the time constraints were dealt with they went back to a more Iris-type gameplay?

Yeah pretty much. The whole "Iris is more traditional than the rest of the series" is something I kinda just don't buy anymore after learning that Atelier started out as a sim.

7 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I honestly know next to nothing about Marie to Violette

I don't blame ya, Marie and Elie have fan-translations, everything else up to Violette doesn't. They are niche even among the series.

8 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

just assumed they were closer in style to Rorona and the likes of that, and that it would continue to go in that direction afterwards, even though I kept hope at every new game. I ended up getting disillusioned after Meruru, but I might pick up Escha and Logy or a newer one if it gets a good discount sometime

Yeah there's been like nine games since Atelier Meruru that are closer to what you might be looking for. Actually make that eight games because Atelier Ayesha's structure is the same as Totori and Meruru's so maybe skip that one.

If you want my recs based on what you've said, Escha & Logy, Shallie and to an extent, Lydie & Suelle and Lulua have a similar combat style to the Mana Khemia games (so I hear). Atelier Ryza 1 & 2 are the only Atelier games to have ATB combat ala Final Fantasy so they're probably the closest you'll get to that "traditional RPG" feel. 

But these are just what I'm guessing you could like based on what you're saying.

Steins;Gate spoilers

Spoiler

Soooo the anime changed it so Mister Braun shoots Moeka before shooting himself. They at least changed his reason for doing so to make it all match, but I liked the OG version more, he got more characterization that way.

And then they cut the Nae scene! That was one of the best scenes, how could they do that?

Lastly, they change the scene where Okabe realizes the first D-mail was the one about Kurisu and not the lottery one (actually, now that I think about it, did they ever even undo the lottery D-mail?) so that Kurisu just vaguely mentions “the first D-mail” with absolutely zero defining details about it, but Okabe’s reaction is the exact same, which would just leave the audience extremely confused until Okabe says it instead of having the same reaction, I would imagine.

This episode was still good, the VN just handled everything better imo.

31 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

If you're looking for a challenge, Thracia. If you're looking for an experience, Genealogy. If you're looking to bleed through your eyes, the others.

Always

Duly noted.

30 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

FE4+FE5 are games every Fe fan has to experience imo. They are not without faults (FE4 is more on the zzz side, and FE5 is Kaga trolling, but easy otherwise), but they are unique enough to deserve a try atleast.

So it's between Genealogy and Thracia. Let me quickly flip a coin to decide which to play.

Alright, Genealogy it is! So...how do I do this?

28 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

FE4 and FE5 are great, and well worth playing despite their age. The others pre-GBA games all have remakes that make playing the original feel kinda redundant.

FE4 is well known for its story, and if you somehow haven't had its story spoiled for you, you are in for a real treat. Also checking the FE4 Secret Event page on the main Serenes Forest site for some nice little items along the way.

FE5 is well known for being aggressively unfriendly to blind players, so I suggest looking things up, or asking for help whenever you think you need it. Also it is a midquel to FE4, and spoils some of FE4's story in opening scene, so you should probably play it second.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I swear that sea-serpent gatekeeps so many people from finishing the game. It gatekept me, it gatekept DragonFlames (a fellow Teehee-er, doesn't show up a lot these days), and now it gatekept you as well.

Yeah. The rest of the game isn't too punishing in general, which is why this slapped me in the face really hard. Even with planning (poor planning but still) I couldn't make it, and then realized I didn't have the energy to try it a third time.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah pretty much. The whole "Iris is more traditional than the rest of the series" is something I kinda just don't buy anymore after learning that Atelier started out as a sim.

Oooh, wait. When you said "Sims" at first, I thought you meant like the Sims games. Did you mean it's basically a VN?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah there's been like nine games since Atelier Meruru that are closer to what you might be looking for. Actually make that eight games because Atelier Ayesha's structure is the same as Totori and Meruru's so maybe skip that one.

Gods, I remembered seeing many titles pass by, but I didn't think we were at that many now XD

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If you want my recs based on what you've said, Escha & Logy, Shallie and to an extent, Lydie & Suelle and Lulua have a similar combat style to the Mana Khemia games (so I hear). Atelier Ryza 1 & 2 are the only Atelier games to have ATB combat ala Final Fantasy so they're probably the closest you'll get to that "traditional RPG" feel. 

But these are just what I'm guessing you could like based on what you're saying.

Hmmm... ATB isn't what I'd consider "traditional RPG". It's a bit more stressful and action-oriented than most JRPGs. Final Fantasy was very experimental with their combat systems (especially in the almost action-game era). The first four are more traditional. It's not a system I'm that fond of. Except if you meant the timeline like in Mana Khemia. I'm okay with that, but having the turn of each of your characters be decided within a time frame or the enemy attacks you is just terrible in a game riddled with a billion menus.

I'm a big fan of branching/parallel paths and I really like the artstyle and characters for Escha and Logy, which is why it's the number one on my list for the moment. I might look further into Lydie & Suelle and Lulua if you recommend them though 😃

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

First find a SNES emulator, SNES 9x is my preferred emulator, but it should be easy to find one. Next you need to find a ROM, which is questionably legal, and might have some risk in this step (just make sure you run a virus scan after getting it, and note it should not be an executable file), but easy enough to google if you try. Then you need to patch it,

This is the best translation patch for FE4, and you can download it here, and just follow the instructions on the page to patch it.

10 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Zsnes ran pretty well on the computer I had when I was a wee lad back in like 1999 or something, but I'm not sure where to find the best translation for the game. The one I had was broken beyond words near the end and you had to remember what the menus meant because they showed characters I didn't even know existed instead of actual words.

I do imagine most Snes roms would work fine with Zsnes though. Only had like one game that had problems, which was Star Ocean, for some obscure reason.

13 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Oooh, wait. When you said "Sims" at first, I thought you meant like the Sims games. Did you mean it's basically a VN?

Uhhh it's probably closer to VNs than like, The Sims lol.

I mean for starters you don't actually get to explore areas. You simply pick where you wanna go and then the game decides what items and maybe battles to give you.

Gods, I remembered seeing many titles pass by, but I didn't think we were at that many now XD

Yearly release be like that. Been that way since the very beginning. There'll be 22 total Atelier games next year (not counting spin-offs).

Heck sometimes you get a year like 2019 in which we got Atelier Lulua and Atelier Ryza in the same year. Might happen again next year too, as it's kinda jarring going from Ryza 2 to Sophie 2, a game in a completely different subseries, especially since it doesn't feel like Ryza's adventures are done yet.

having the turn of each of your characters be decided within a time frame or the enemy attacks you is just terrible in a game riddled with a billion menus.

Normally, I would agree but I actually really enjoyed the combat in both Ryza games so I personally think that says a lot about the quality of the combat system when it's able to get me to enjoy a style of combat I normally don't.

Except if you meant the timeline like in Mana Khemia.

Well that is how Atelier has had it's combat usually be (and most turn-based RPGs these days). The only game in the series that I can think of that actually has proper turns is Atelier Sophie, in which everyone selects their action first and then the turn plays out.

I might look further into Lydie & Suelle and Lulua if you recommend them though 😃

Keep in mind those games are currently the last chronologically in their respective continuities so you might miss quite a few things. You should be fine with Lulua as you've already played through Arland but Lydie & Suelle is the last chronological game of the Mysterious series and while I wouldn't want you to do "homework", I do think you would be taking away some of the experience if you went into that game completely blind to what came before it in the continuity.

Edited by Armagon