Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm at 52%. I'm going to leave the page open while I go get dinner. If something happens and for whatever reason I lose all progress, I will headcanon that Garon won.

Garon was the real bridge between the nations. He is the seeds of peace.

His groans of increasing discomfort were the true song of salvation, only to be used to liberate the nations of their bloodthirsty paths. Yet no one acknowledges his selfless act.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Out of curiousity, what emulator are you using?

psxfin. Got it a while back when I wanted to play persona 1 and 2.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

40 minutes ago, Benice said:

How's Yakuza 0 going?

Middle of the first Mjima part, got kinda delayed by Fantasy Land being rather difficult...and debating about whether the literal luck gambling games are worth bothering trying for the CP... I should probably get back to that...

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

and debating about whether the literal luck gambling games are worth bothering trying for the CP...

They're not

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

I should probably get back to that...

Nah, sounds like you're not enjoying it, no need to push through it.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

This game can be fickle sometimes.

So, I take it that you've defeated Sif?

Yeah. Not much he could do against a crossbow.

Still feel bad about it. If I have to kill a puppy, I should at least have dueled it honorably instead of cheesing it like this.

Just now, BrightBow said:

Yeah. Not much he could do against a crossbow.

Still feel bad about it. If I have to kill a puppy, I should at least have dueled it honorably instead of cheesing it like this.

Okay, yeah, you've got a lot of options to proceed.

Have you liked the game so far?

Just now, Benice said:

Okay, yeah, you've got a lot of options to proceed.

Have you liked the game so far?

I do. But I have the Switch version. I can't imagine playing it on PC or consoles.

All the backtracking and instant kills require so much running around. Feels like it's best played in a sort of meditative fashion, where you don't mind running long stretches with either nothing happening or killing the same enemies over and over.

So, I decided I'd get back into Neo TWEWY's postgame grind.

On hard the superboss is dealing over 10k damage.

Safe is not a word I'd use to describe this.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Speak of the devil...

https://images2.imgbox.com/c3/3d/Az5GAjdX_o.png

Kaga is that you

Man maybe it's better in action but this perspective for an SRPG is.....not one I think I'd want.

I mean I guess the PxZs do do that as well but they were more open.

Idk, sometimes screenshots of Vandal Hearts kinda hurts my eyes.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I am sick and must self-isolate.

...I don't know what to do. Hm...

Take care of yourself man.

I myself have to get tested, one of my coworkers tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Vandal buddy!

Haha, yeah, just started. Seems pretty interesting! The grid controls still confuse me cause I take the wrong direction without fail, and I'm still baffled as to why they thought O was a good selection button, but it seems pretty enjoyable all in all!

Ruben convinced me to do a monks only run (except for Huxley or whatever his name was) so wish me luck XD

42 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

"And thy transgression shall not go unpunished. Thou shalt perish in the twilight of Anor Londo."
Proceeds to remove all enemies from Anor Lando. I guess the idea is I die from boredom.

Funny as that was, I really do not have anywhere else to go now. At least not without any kind of light source. Apparently there is a Light spell, but I can't say I've encountered it. Maybe this is some kind of soft Game Over and I'm just kinda stuck now.
Although maybe I can just buy myself absolution. I have that open anyway, ever since I pissed off that cat.

playing the first Dark Souls huh...there is also a lantern item (I think you find it in the graveyard), and the sun larva helmet you get from around Lost Izalith area that light things up as well.

46 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh crap. Now the Bonfire is out too. Crap! Crap! Crap!

Even if I buy absolution now, this won't bring any dead NPCs back to life. I should have just ignored the Fire Keeper and run to the elevator.

Not sure there is a point in continuing this save. Goddamn autosave.

Ouch, yeah you really should have ignored that NPC. Although its not like you could use her services anyway after darkening Anor Londo.

43 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I didn't kill her. I just shot a single crossbow bolt in her direction. Not like this is enough to kill anything else besides basic hollows.

I just wanted to know what would happen if I attack an almighty giant NPC like that. I expected to get hit by an instant kill, not whatever this is.

Its because she is a fake, an illusion to fool gullible little Undead into going along with papa Gwyn and his definitely not evil, we promise, serpent friend kingseeker Frampt's plans to burn yourself in a magic fire.

28 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Seems like there is a 3rd Fire Keeper. Although one that has such obtuse requirements that it seems crazy to me anyone could acquire her services without looking it up.

Ah yes the Fair Spider Lady, and sister of Quelaag, whose voice can only be understood with the Old Witches Ring, an item you can get at the beginning of the game if you read seemingly useless, as hugely important (which any suave gamer should). Although I don't think you need to understand her to use her services.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

All the backtracking and instant kills require so much running around. Feels like it's best played in a sort of meditative fashion, where you don't mind running long stretches with either nothing happening or killing the same enemies over and over.

Its gets a bit better in the sequels where you get to teleport between bonfires from the start, and to any bonfire you have reached (not just certain ones...) and the starting hub is a bit better setup.

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose this is a good opportunity to see if I can kill the bridge dragon.

I have 20 Flasks and he likely can't oneshot me anymore. So I might be able to go the distance.

Oh boy, good luck. You may need it.

21 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Its gets a bit better in the sequels where you get to teleport between bonfires from the start, and to any bonfire you have reached (not just certain ones...) and the starting hub is a bit better setup.

I did play Scholar of the First Sin years ago but... that whole "You get weaker every time you die" thing was kind of frustrating. Most certainly prefer not having to worry about that here.

I can most certainly see why they added that, though. If you want to save up souls, you'll likely farm them up somewhere save rather then progressing into uncharted territory that will likely kill you a few dozen times.
So in practice, you will rarely lose a lot of souls from dying. And consequently death is not all that punishing, besides the tedium. But losing max health is absolutely a major loss.
But you know, it's also really frustrating knowing that after each death, you become even easier to kill. Especially at places capable of killing you a bunch of times in a row. Made me feel like just restarting the game.

Edited by BrightBow

Okay, page didn't glitch out. Let's keep going.

35 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

His groans of increasing discomfort were the true song of salvation, only to be used to liberate the nations of their bloodthirsty paths. Yet no one acknowledges his selfless act.

Garons*

Garons of increasing discomfort, Lorneus.

35 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

psxfin. Got it a while back when I wanted to play persona 1 and 2.

Ah, okay. I use Duckstation, myself. Pretty happy with it, game looks slick with some upscaling.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Man maybe it's better in action but this perspective for an SRPG is.....not one I think I'd want.

We really are legally obligated to disagree.

Fuck, I think if anything Vandal Hearts looks great for a PS1 game.

13 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I'm still baffled as to why they thought O was a good selection button

I'm pretty sure Japanese games often use O as the selection button. At least I remember reading the tidbit when I first played TearRing Saga.

I mean, I wouldn't know. I've played a grand total of five PlayStation games, all on PC, so I have no idea what the PS gamepad looks like.

13 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Ruben convinced me to do a monks only run (except for Huxley or whatever his name was) so wish me luck XD

Hey, I didn't do anything. You decided to be a contrarian and do the exact opposite of what I suggested. I merely agreed with that idea!

19 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Haha, yeah, just started. Seems pretty interesting! The grid controls still confuse me cause I take the wrong direction without fail, and I'm still baffled as to why they thought O was a good selection button, but it seems pretty enjoyable all in all!

JP games always have circle as the main button, they just didnt translate the controls to swap X and circle.

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't blame you. Isometric perspective in SRPGs is a mixed bag at best. It is better than top-down at showing 3D models and in some ways sprites, but from a practical perspective, it can not infrequently be a serious hinderance on understanding the battlefield. 90* turns of the camera angle never seem to give you that single perfect view you want.

Which is why I liked Original Generations giving me the option to flip between isometric and traditional SRW top-down perspectives at the press of Start. When I wanted total clarity on the map, I swapped to the bird's eye view.

22 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Haha, yeah, just started. Seems pretty interesting! The grid controls still confuse me cause I take the wrong direction without fail, and I'm still baffled as to why they thought O was a good selection button

Japan thinks it's perfectly fine.

In Japan, all Playstation games use O as "Confirm" and X as "Cancel". Triangle and Square retain their Western functions. 

It's possible some early PS1 games tried the Japanese O-X arrangement in the West. But, it came to be that the two cultural-economic spheres would have this minor controller input difference for the past five console generations. I heard that Sony might be trying to transition Japan to the Western X-Confirm O-Cancel format with the PS5, whether or not it succeeds I do not know perhaps it'll be the thing that kills Playstation in Japan for eternity.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Garons*

Garons of increasing discomfort, Lorneus.

I just imagine mini Garons pouring out of his mouth as he garons in pain.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, okay. I use Duckstation, myself. Pretty happy with it, game looks slick with some upscaling.

Hmm, I don't really mind the graphics I have so since everything is already installed and I'm used to the controls there, I think I'll keep pskfin for now, but if I get a problem with it, I'll try to remember Duckstation!

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

We really are legally obligated to disagree.

Fuck, I think if anything Vandal Hearts looks great for a PS1 game.

The graphics are pretty good for a PS1 game, yeah. The artistic style is... peculiar to say the least, but there are a few portraits I actually think look pretty good. And the work in the animations is quite interesting as well!

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm pretty sure Japanese games often use O as the selection button. At least I remember reading the tidbit when I first played TearRing Saga.

I mean, I wouldn't know. I've played a grand total of five PlayStation games, all on PC, so I have no idea what the PS gamepad looks like.

Yeah, I've seen it elsewhere. It's just always counterintuitive to me and I keep messing up XD I've also yet to understand what the "push" commands supposedly do. No matter when I try to use it or on what, I just can't do anything XD

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, I didn't do anything. You decided to be a contrarian and do the exact opposite of what I suggested. I merely agreed with that idea!

Well, you did agree! I only said you convinced me, I never said I wasn't fickle!

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

I've also yet to understand what the "push" commands supposedly do. No matter when I try to use it or on what, I just can't do anything XD

Boxes when you get that far.

Every time Garon pops up it's the new hardest choice.

I don't know how I should feel about that.

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

The graphics are pretty good for a PS1 game, yeah. The artistic style is... peculiar to say the least, but there are a few portraits I actually think look pretty good. And the work in the animations is quite interesting as well!

I've never brought it up, but from almost the beginning of the game I've been thinking it looks like HD FE1. It has the silliness and deformity of FE1's faces, just in a lot higher quality. It looks pretty good, you just have to get used to the funny faces.

2 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I've also yet to understand what the "push" commands supposedly do. No matter when I try to use it or on what, I just can't do anything XD

You may encounter boxes or boulders on some stages. You can use push to, well, push them.

3 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Well, you did agree! I only said you convinced me, I never said I wasn't fickle!

Haha, well, true.