• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japan thinks it's perfectly fine.

In Japan, all Playstation games use O as "Confirm" and X as "Cancel". Triangle and Square retain their Western functions. 

It's possible some early PS1 games tried the Japanese O-X arrangement in the West. But, it came to be that the two cultural-economic spheres would have this minor controller input difference for the past five console generations. I heard that Sony might be trying to transition Japan to the Western X-Confirm O-Cancel format with the PS5, whether or not it succeeds I do not know perhaps it'll be the thing that kills Playstation in Japan for eternity.

Eh, fair enough. I just think selecting at the base instead of the side makes more sense, even though the button name itself is actually more representative.

It's also less strange than nintendo's decision to put Y on the horizontal axis and X on the vertical axis from Wii U and up. I swear, every time they say "press X/Y to do this"...

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Are we gonna start Vandal Hearts: the thread!?

I mean, it looks that way. It's two of us now.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Better than Fates. Xd

Eerrrmmmhhh

Aaaarrhhmmm

Uh...

I dunno, man. Vandal Hearts is great, but Fates has Garon in it. Did you consider that?

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

Eh, fair enough. I just think selecting at the base instead of the side makes more sense, even though the button name itself is actually more representative.

It's also less strange than nintendo's decision to put Y on the horizontal axis and X on the vertical axis from Wii U and up. I swear, every time they say "press X/Y to do this"...

Hasn't it been that way since the SNES?

File:SNES Controller.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've never brought it up, but from almost the beginning of the game I've been thinking it looks like HD FE1. It has the silliness and deformity of FE1's faces, just in a lot higher quality. It looks pretty good, you just have to get used to the funny faces.

I must say, in my first search of Vandal hearts, I only encountered like one or two faces and could only think "damn, the artist really likes noses."

If this sorter is teaching me anything, it's that I don't know how to use my time I don't know the first thing about Muarim. I've played two games with him, and yet I try to think about him and I draw a complete blank. Even the one dude, what's his name, Kyza? I remember that guy as the single most forgettable character in the entire series. Well, okay, I don't, but when the sorter shows me his face, I go "oh hey it's the guy even I can't bring myself to care about, and I count Frost among my favorites." It's a reaction. It's something. For Muarim it's always a confused "what was this guy, again?"

Just now, Lorneus said:

I must say, in my first search of Vandal hearts, I only encountered like one or two faces and could only think "damn, the artist really likes noses."

Dolf's nose is a veritable work of art.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hasn't it been that way since the SNES?

File:SNES Controller.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Oh goodness, it has? Guess I played too much Xbox with my best friend in between nintendo consoles and got confused XD

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If this sorter is teaching me anything, it's that I don't know how to use my time I don't know the first thing about Muarim. I've played two games with him, and yet I try to think about him and I draw a complete blank. Even the one dude, what's his name, Kyza? I remember that guy as the single most forgettable character in the entire series. Well, okay, I don't, but when the sorter shows me his face, I go "oh hey it's the guy even I can't bring myself to care about, and I count Frost among my favorites." It's a reaction. It's something. For Muarim it's always a confused "what was this guy, again?"

He's Tormod's friend.

And the guy Izuka tried tot urn feral in RD, once again cementing his being a dick.

As for Vandal Hearts, I might have but there's other games ahead on the pike, apologies.

Edited by Dayni

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

Oh goodness, it has? Guess I played too much Xbox with my best friend in between nintendo consoles and got confused XD

Yeah, it's Xbox who always had the X/Y to correspond with their axis coordinates, not Nintendo.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, it looks that way. It's two of us now.

Eerrrmmmhhh

Aaaarrhhmmm

Uh...

I dunno, man. Vandal Hearts is great, but Fates has Garon in it. Did you consider that?

Wait I dont count? Harsh.

Nope, its better.

Great. Shin vs Rath. I guess that's a tie, I mean, they're the exact same character.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

He's Tormod's friend.

And the guy Izuka tried tot urn feral in RD, once again cementing his being a dick.

No no, I know this, but... Who is Muarim? What's his personality? What does he do in his games? I can't think of anything. He's more of a plain face to me than anyone in Archanea...

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Wait I dont count? Harsh.

You don't count as someone currently playing the game. You do count as someone who enjoys the game. Should've made the distinction.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Nope, its better.

I mean, I guess Hel Spites is a pretty strong competition for Garon just based on the name alone

For Muarim it's always a confused "what was this guy, again?"

I always hoped we'd see more of him in PoR. He wasn,t very present in RD but I liked his CG and wanted to know more about him. All I truly remember about him is that he's introduced with Tormod XD

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dolf's nose is a veritable work of art.

A true monument.

21 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

The artistic style is... peculiar to say the least, but there are a few portraits I actually think look pretty good.

PS1 SRPG aren't exactly the prettiest.:

FFTMonk-Male.pngFFTMonk-Female.png

Greatest Strategy RPG Of All Time For Many Now-Aged Players. This is a unique approach to deformation, not your usual big-headed chibis.

It doesn't look anywhere so bad when you more clothes covering upper half, particularly those waists. Nor when you're actually playing the game.

Best-looking PS1 SRPGs are probably SRW.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For Muarim it's always a confused "what was this guy, again?"

Former Laguz slave who raises redhead boy Tormod like something of a father & big brother figure. Low self-esteem, serious and a tad gloomy, polite (as befits a former slave who could never speak up or else), devoted in his service to his Little One (whom art books later declared the son of Muarim's former master, though Tormod seems to have no idea of it, he was found abandoned).

Also Ike's little sister, due to a North American translation mistake with RD's character glossary.

Muarim does not deserve to burn in your Disagreeable Character Hell, if you have one. At the least, he ought to be inoffensive to you.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Muarim does not deserve to burn in your Disagreeable Character Hell, if you have one. At the least, he ought to be inoffensive to you.

No no, he's not disagreeable. That's the problem - he's so inoffensive that he fails to make me react on even a basic level. He's like, a guy on the street I passed by. Barely a part of my world at all. I hardly register him.

Clearly there needs to be known more about PSX SRPG's. Like, did you know Mouri Motonari got to star in his own SRPG?

Well, for the first half. Second half is about his grandson Terumoto, where it stops being historical and actually veers into AU territory with the Mouri taking over Japan.

No no, I know this, but... Who is Muarim? What's his personality? What does he do in his games? I can't think of anything. He's more of a plain face to me than anyone in Archanea...

Yeah, he ends up being so utterly stoic that it wouldn't help matters of him standing out. They really don't do enough with him, but he makes himself close to Tormod after he was freed from slavery by him. He also apparently was born a slave.....

Shit man, not near enough was done with him.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also Ike's sister, due to a North American translation mistake with RD's character glossary.

Looking at his supports, there's a funny coincidence in his A support with Largo

Man, I'm not gonna have time to play S;G because this is taking so absurdly long.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

He does seem like he shouldn't be one of the most forgettable characters in the series, doesn't he...

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He does seem like he shouldn't be one of the most forgettable characters in the series, doesn't he...

I mean, I would still recognise him faster than some others, but not many.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, I would still recognise him faster than some others, but not many.

I mean, make no mistake, I've remembered Kyza's existence only because of the sorter. For as much as I poke fun at Tomas, he's nowhere near this mook's level. Holy shit.

I mean, make no mistake, I've remembered Kyza's existence only because of the sorter. For as much as I poke fun at Tomas, he's nowhere near this mook's level. Holy shit.

Tomas only exists because you mention him.

robert.png

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Clearly there needs to be known more about PSX SRPG's. Like, did you know Mouri Motonari got to star in his own SRPG?

Well, for the first half. Second half is about his grandson Terumoto, where it stops being historical and actually veers into AU territory with the Mouri taking over Japan.

-Koei.

Entirely expectable.

Motonari deserves it. I did enjoy his more serious-SW5 incarnation.

character2.png

The redesign added gravitas. Shame about having to share a bow with No/Kicho and losing his dart-knuckles/talons, but I'm not sure if they would suit his new design. He says "falconer" to me if I had pick an alternative weapon based purely on his design, though he has to get something arrow/dart-using.

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

He is a good supporting actor though. Might not be the greatest by himself, but a good companion is good to me, not everyone needs to be the main character.

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Looking at his supports, there's a funny coincidence in his A support with Largo

I don't need to view it to remember that. I've got the gist of many PoR Supports in my noggin.😄

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The LEA was done dirty in RD. It'd help to recognizability if they had more screen time.

They really were, true. They didn't need to be, at all, you could've slipped them early into GMs' Part 3 no issue, but they were forgotten. 

I'd like another good conversation between Micaiah & Muarim. Between two adoptive parents and all, it is a unique situation for FE.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kyza is understandable. Although in Japan, not America, he is the first gay male Fire Emblem character.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer