Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Where were you when the kings of ancient Rome added January and February to a then-10-month calendar and thereby pushed October to the 10th month? 

Ah

Haha Ruben are dumb heheha

...No, but seriously, I have so much trouble with the middle months, it's not even funny. If you ask me about the third month I know it's March, and if you ask about the 11th I know it's November, but you say 7th and I'll just stand there like an idiot desperately trying to figure out which one it was.

...July? Is it July?

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Part of this flamboyance is Kyza's choice of Japanese pronoun. Japan has many pronouns. Although they actually use them less than in English I'm told, and pronouns don't define everything about a character, but they can be useful indicators. I was informed Kyza uses atashi sometimes, which is very odd for a man. Atashi is used by women normally, sometimes tomboys, but pretty much any woman can use it, usually in casual conversation. Effeminate men, be they gay or trans, or crossdressers and sometimes none of the above, often use atashi in Japanese popular entertainment. Thats one clue Kyza is gay.

Women normally use Watashi. Atashi is more childish/girly/feminine, while tomboys are more likely to use Boku (at least when still teenagers), which is used more by children normally (boys switching to Ore as they grow up), though yeah, sometimes Atashi can be said by all kinds of girls sometimes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that Faris is smarter than most of the cast.

Also, Mayuri just said this.

"You know, Okarin, we have six lab members now."

I am so confused. I keep wondering if I'm dumb or if I'm really noticing things that don't add up. What do you mean, six? All the time disturbances mean Moeka never joined up, so who is the sixth here? Game, would you mind explaining something? Anything works, really. Just give me an explanation, please, I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kyza is supposed to in the Japanese be a combination of stereotypical effeminate gayness & a professional soldier. The English version played up his no-nonsense studiousness and buried his flamboyance.

Part of this flamboyance is Kyza's choice of Japanese pronoun. Japan has many pronouns. Although they actually use them less than in English I'm told, and pronouns don't define everything about a character, but they can be useful indicators. I was informed Kyza uses atashi sometimes, which is very odd for a man. Atashi is used by women normally, sometimes tomboys, but pretty much any woman can use it, usually in casual conversation. Effeminate men, be they gay or trans, or crossdressers and sometimes none of the above, often use atashi in Japanese popular entertainment. Thats one clue Kyza is gay.

Yeah, I imagine that's about how much they could do at that time for a wide release if they wanted to include a gay character. We have an effeminate character who isn't gay now (Forrest) but that's also considering same-sex marriage is part of the game too. Providing an effeminate man was probably the equivalent of that in matter of what they could use while still getting a wide release. 

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah

Haha Ruben are dumb heheha

...No, but seriously, I have so much trouble with the middle months, it's not even funny. If you ask me about the third month I know it's March, and if you ask about the 11th I know it's November, but you say 7th and I'll just stand there like an idiot desperately trying to figure out which one it was.

...July? Is it July?

Correct. The month of Julius Caesar's birth. Not sure why English still honors him with a month, the caesar salad is named after Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who owned restaurants on the Mexican-American border.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Women normally use Watashi. Atashi is more childish/girly/feminine, while tomboys are more likely to use Boku, which is used more by children normally (boys switching to Ore as they grow up), though yeah, sometimes Atashi can be said by all kinds of girls sometimes.

I'm aware. There is this big wonderful article explaining the generalities of Japanese pronouns and many of the common & popular entertainment ones.

I think I'd lean boku myself if I spoke Japanese. If Final Fantasy's Cecil uses it, clearly it doesn't have to end with childhood. And the commenters in the linked article said Shadow the Edgehog uses it????

And back on Kyza, I found this again.:

Kyza  Stuck up?! Your mother would be ashamed at your lack of manners!  失敬な!
グラマラスって言いなさいよ!!▼ 
Such rudeness!
Call me "glamorous"!

The blatant line they had to bury to the right, the localization to the left. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Heh, they're reeeeeeeeeeally building up this whole "Kurisu is secretly an internet person" gag, aren't they.

It's almost as if they don't realize it's dumb, bland and predictable and building it up over the whole game won't do anything to change that.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure why English still honors him, the caesar salad is named after Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who owned restaurants on the Mexican-American border.

I guess cardini salad just wasn't as catchy?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lukako's emails are gone too. What is going on? I hope the game acknowledges this soon... Just so I can stop wondering if it's a bug or something.

Also, Okarin has once again let the secrets of his criminal activity and dangerous experimentation slip to random people. Is this really how every character in the cast is going to find out about the magical microwave? Because Okarin can't keep his piehole shut? This guy...

It probably has to do with the butterfly effect, things are slightly different after the D-mails so those conversations never happened.

That’s my best guess anyway, this never comes up in-game and I didn’t even know this happened until you brought it up.

Oh, so Daru's trying to figure out how to secretly use SERN's time machine. Just for fun, he says. Yeah, no shit. A Chekov's gun if I ever saw one. This will come up.

...Aaand I think I'll leave it here. Honestly, I have no comments on today's session. It feels like absolutely nothing has happened.

Of course. Just as I said that, and just before I can stop, something actually does happen.

Spoiler

That's what Moeka did, isn't it.

She used her D-mail (which Okarin didn't check, I'm still angry about that by the way) to somehow steal the IBN 5400 from the lab.

God fucking damnit, Okarin, why can't you do anything right?

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It probably has to do with the butterfly effect, things are slightly different after the D-mails so those conversations never happened.

That’s my best guess anyway, this never comes up in-game and I didn’t even know this happened until you brought it up.

Oh.

Well, that's amazing.

Also, there's 100% something wrong with the emails. Mayuri, Faris and pigtails all sent messages that seemed to reference prior conversations they never had with Okarin. But why this time, and not the other times the past changed? I am confusion at this moment.

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

image.png.0a6aa2b4a7246a856bab60ecfb33271d.png

Yep. Seems about my average level of planning ahead and amazing strategies.

Hahahahah

Well, it's okay. You know, one thing to keep in mind is that pushing and examining don't end your turn. You can still use your remaining movement, examine and push things again and attack.

Y’know, Trails really does pay a lot of attention to minor details you forgot about. I did not expect to deal with the nameless, faceless villain brought up in the joke side character’s optional backstory event 2 games later, but here we are.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's what Moeka did, isn't it.

She used her D-mail (which Okarin didn't check, I'm still angry about that by the way) to somehow steal the IBN 5400 from the lab.

God fucking damnit, Okarin, why can't you do anything right?

🍿.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, one thing to keep in mind is that pushing and examining don't end your turn. You can still use your remaining movement, examine and push things again and attack.

Oooh, I didn't think of that. Very useful tip! Thanks!

Okay, really stopping now. Faris wants Okarin to go to her apartment and I don't think I'm ready to witness that scene.

...Goodness gracious, though. What the hell is happening in this game anymore.

🍿.

KyLGx5yT_o.png

He got away. Not to worry, I’m sure Rean and company will get him in Cold Steel 3 or 4.

Actually, doesn’t Cold Steel 2 take place during the epilogue of this game? Maybe they’ll get him there.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, really stopping now. Faris wants Okarin to go to her apartment and I don't think I'm ready to witness that scene.

You’ll love that scene if you’ve been enjoying yelling at Okabe’s stupidity as much as you seem like you are.

That scene also means you’re getting closer to The Funny™.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Tierlist.thumb.png.aa75c7254b9e5015fb60ac4ca822b93b.png

Alright, character tier list updated. Tried to make it more personal this time around.

Gangrel at the top is something I can approve of. Gregor in high A, too.

You’ll love that scene if you’ve been enjoying yelling at Okabe’s stupidity as much as you seem like you are.

Excellent.

That scene also means you’re getting closer to The Funny™.

I mean, you did spill the beans of when The Funny happens. But eh, we'll get there when we get there. I'm not in a hurry.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, you did spill the beans of when The Funny happens.

Yeah, I did do that. Still, though, I don’t think knowing when it happens will be that big of a deal. I hope not, anyway. Sorry if it is. At least you didn’t click on one of the trailers though—

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But eh, we'll get there when we get there. I'm not in a hurry.

It’s good that you’re enjoying the game as it is. Because post funny, well, that will be interesting…

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

@Saint Rubenio I need your help.

I went into the sorter.

It spat out Belf V Reiden.

I don't think I can help you, I had trouble with that myself.

...I picked Leiden, for what it's worth.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, I did do that. Still, though, I don’t think knowing when it happens will be that big of a deal. I hope not, anyway. Sorry if it is. At least you didn’t click on one of the trailers though—

Don't worry about it. It's no biggir.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It’s good that you’re enjoying the game as it is. Because post funny, well, that will be interesting…

At least I hope the game'll have the restraint not to pull anything like the Luka Sequence post-Funny....

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't think I can help you, I had trouble with that myself.

...I picked Leiden, for what it's worth.

But- but that's not helpful!

it-crowd.gif

(I picked Belf)

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

But- but that's not helpful!

it-crowd.gif

What did you expect? I love them both equally!

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

(I picked Belf)

That's fair. I kinda like his portrait better, but Leiden is a bit better as a unit. Belf has the godly Sirius support, but Leiden has the still not bad Roberto one and a far better Kris support.

Honestly, they're both great. Archanea's true cavalier duo, right there.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

That's fair. I kinda like his portrait better, but Leiden is a bit better as a unit. Belf has the godly Sirius support, but Leiden has the still not bad Roberto one and a far better Kris support.

I am not picking on gameplay, while I was kinda disappointed by Leiden's convos. ho hum.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Pick Vergil.

Which one was he? I missed this bit of localisation history.