Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

19 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

That seems like a logical course of action, even if the Xenoblade character in question is reasonably dressed.

At least there's that.

18 hours ago, Benice said:

I now officially have glasses.

Hmm... Not sure I'll get used to looking like that one guy from Xenoblade 2 who has glasses.

As someone who's had glasses pasted to his face his entire life because he can't see shit without them... Eh, eventually they become a part of you.

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The sub-missions of Chapter 3 done. Both easy and I tried to get the X-Mission Quartet some levels given I know I need to train them for their complete recruitments. The boss fled on the horse mission, that's two missed bounties. 100%ing this game sounds like one real chore. Not going to go out of my way to collect anything that requires a capture.

Yeah, you really shouldn't expect to get max stuff on a first run. Way too troublesome, just take whatever you can get and be fine with that.

Now on to Chapter 4. 10 unit slots and I have to protect a slew of retreating NPCs. Berwick is absolutely not for beginners, that's for sure. Not as outright hostile as Thracia can be, but not even factoring in that this is the 7th battle, Chapter 4 main mission looks too intense for first-timers. 

It's not hostile in the way Thracia is, yeah. It's just tough.

Minor plot talk. I see what people mean by Tellius parallels now. Oh, and Chaos might be very strong in gameplay, but Mr. "I'm The Dark Pope's Bodyguard, But I Can't Afford Anything Better Than Generic Dark Cult Robes" is in no way intimidating personality-wise. They sounded more like a child obsessing over some trinket they picked up.

That's actually a pretty good description. I always got that feeling from Chaos. He's super powerful, but he's a big manchild nonetheless.

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Main mission of Chapter 4 done. Retreated by the 20th turn. Really, it seems like doing the bare minimum to complete maps in Berwick isn't too bad, still requires thought. But, it's the secondary objectives which are fairly demanding, or outright insanity. Boss wasn't killed and the three shields and collector's items were not obtained, but so it goes.

You don't really need to do everything perfectly. The rewards are always nice to have, but you don't absolutely need any of it to beat the game.

All of characters they choose to have you bribe out of jail hush hush, it's the wyvern rider. The most conspicuous type of soldier possible, when there is no indication of any others around.

Hey, think of it this way - nobody can see her face up there, can they?

Almost a million, then? Sounds all right for a game in such a niche genre.

Also that's a great piece of artwork. Then again, all of the art in the game is beautiful. I love the artstyle something fierce.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Me.

Me too, kinda. I had a phase where I couldn't be bothered because typing on phone is awkward, but these days I usually do.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

48 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I1qbgdm.png

Current waifu'ing status

Tfw Evelyn not a choice

You could in theory go the harem route.

However, there is an asterisk here, as you can only marry one and everyone else goes back ti being friends. At least that's how it was in RF4, not that i've done it myself. 

Also yes, every Rune Factory has a girl that looks like she should be a bachelorette but isn't. 

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, think of it this way - nobody can see her face up there, can they?

True. And I'm willing to accept a little unreality for the game's lone playable flier unit, who I've some awareness of as being both very useful, yet -thanks to Berwick's unique mechanics- incapable of being "set it and forget it" busted. The "no melee attacking fliers except on counters" aspect is perhaps realistic, and TBF, Larentia looks to have durability somewhat closer to a pegasus knight.

Speaking of video game unreality, the prison exchange idea is another little detail to like. I know people did it in the High or Late Middle Ages, even kings could be ransomed. However, the one imperial unit I captured is worth like 480 in ransom money? That's less than a top-class meal at the Pavilion!

Regarding the town in general, having Ward and Tianna doing a lot of the event interactions feels realistic. They could've easily assigned Reese to most of these events, but they didn't. The realism here being that commanders can't go around and do everything and talk to everyone, they're busy and have staff whose duties involve having to go around collecting various forms of information and gathering supplies.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's not hostile in the way Thracia is, yeah. It's just tough.

I enjoy having my brain pushed a little. Not to mention the Chapter 4 main mission isn't actually quite as difficult as it initially seems. The rough terrain helps everyone (except your healers I'd say), more than it hurts, as it keeps the enemy from approaching the marching wounded too quickly. Realizing the peaks form plentiful chokepoints allows the player to safely block them with minimal harm to your units. The AI is wise enough in some situations to head through any unplugged chokes to hunt the greens instead of fighting you. At 10 + Daoud, you get just about enough units to hold each of the innermost peak-passes. The boss is strong, but even a paladin with good stats and a nice weapon is restrained by the terrain (my failed attempt to kill him with Larentia and Ward also sent his AI into dialogue-expressed retreat, even after the Raze priest healed him).

The most difficult part of the map is most certainly the southern fringe. The bandits being light infantry gives them far greater mobility, the peaks cease and give way to more open terrain.  The elemental axe trio are threatening, and the three dagger baddies that come before them are downright menacing. Thankfully, only one or two NPC units retreat via the western path, so once they're through you have some room to cede ground if it gets too intense.

The map also gets thematic points for attempting to simulate something that appears outwardly like a real situation in warfare. To speak of Radiant Dawn for one moment, although the use of bird people to carry out the mission is pure fantasy, Part 3 Chapter 3 is a favorite of mine, owing much to feeling like you're actually ransacking an enemy supply camp. Chapter 4 Berwick Saga provides some of that same immersive feeling. It might not be totally accurate, but perhaps you by the time you're done with the battle, you have gained a semblance of understanding how it felt for real soldiers and generals over millennia of history doing something like what you've just finished doing in a video game.🤓

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Almost a million, then? Sounds all right for a game in such a niche genre.

A million-seller is a mark of total success if you ask me.😄 The game hasn't been out for very long either, so crossing the 1 million threshold will very likely happen by the time the year is over. Considering 600k of those sales were outside of East/Southeast Asia, a PC port could readily push those numbers over the line.

The only cases where one million sales isn't incredible for a video game, would be the big AAA franchises, and particularly those yearly Western cash grabs that the casuals gobble up like CoD and FIFA.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You could in theory go the harem route.

However, there is an asterisk here, as you can only marry one and everyone else goes back ti being friends. At least that's how it was in RF4, not that i've done it myself. 

Some SoS games might've implemented a mechanic wherein subsequent bachelors/bachelorettes are harder to court, but that'd be very unusual. The Friends of Mineral Town remake even includes an achievement for seeing everyone's heart events before finally proposing to one. I find this reasonable, since who knows, maybe it'll take you a while to figure out exactly who you want to wed.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. And I'm willing to accept a little unreality for the game's lone playable flier unit, who I've some awareness of as being both very useful, yet -thanks to Berwick's unique mechanics- incapable of being "set it and forget it" busted. The "no melee attacking fliers except on counters" aspect is perhaps realistic, and TBF, Larentia looks to have durability somewhat closer to a pegasus knight.

Larentia not being busted despite being a flier with extra perks is one of my favorite things about Berwick design. They did just give her invincibility against melee units and somehow that didn't make her a Seth-tier destroyer of worlds. Kudos to Kaga for that.

Speaking of video game unreality, the prison exchange idea is another little detail to like. I know people did it in the High or Late Middle Ages, even kings could be ransomed. However, the one imperial unit I captured is worth like 480 in ransom money? That's less than a top-class meal at the Pavilion!

Volcens is a bad negotiator on top of everything else

Regarding the town in general, having Ward and Tianna doing a lot of the event interactions feels realistic. They could've easily assigned Reese to most of these events, but they didn't. The realism here being that commanders can't go around and do everything and talk to everyone, they're busy and have staff whose duties involve having to go around collecting various forms of information and gathering supplies.

I often call Ward the second lord of the game. He feels like a lot less of a shadow to the MC than the rest of the advisor characters in FE are. The fact that he has so much screentime for himself without Reese is telling enough. Already in chapter 1 you can tell. Remember how, in the twin brigands sidequest, Reese initially hesitated to help out the villagers, claiming they "couldn't go chasing after every sob story they hear" and that they "need to be ready to answer the king's call"? It was Ward who insisted on going to their aid, who came up with a way to make it work and convinced his liege. In any other game, the advisor would've been the one complaining while the idealistic and heroic young lord would insist on helping out. It's an interesting little role reversal that I've always found fascinating.

Tianna too, of course, even though she isn't playable. Reese doesn't even show up for Ruby and Arthur's join map, Tianna handles all of that by herself. The game gives the people around the dashing young noble a lot of autonomy, and that's something I really dig.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The rough terrain helps everyone (except your healers I'd say), more than it hurts, as it keeps the enemy from approaching the marching wounded too quickly.

Yeah, this is something I feel too. Terrain in that map hurts the healer specifically.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The map also gets thematic points for attempting to simulate something that appears outwardly like a real situation in warfare. To speak of Radiant Dawn for one moment, although the use of bird people to carry out the mission is pure fantasy, Part 3 Chapter 3 is a favorite of mine, owing much to feeling like you're actually ransacking an enemy supply camp. Chapter 4 Berwick Saga provides some of that same immersive feeling. It might not be totally accurate, but perhaps you by the time you're done with the battle, you have gained a semblance of understanding how it felt for real soldiers and generals over millennia of history doing something like what you've just finished doing in a video game.🤓

This is what I like most about Berwick Saga's plot, it's what I mean when I describe it as being "different." Most games would've focused on the war, but Berwick mostly covers the effects that waging a losing war has on the people, from the highest nobles to the common folk. You wouldn't find a mission like 4-main in many games, because this is the sort of thing that's just implied to happen in the background. In Berwick, you do it, because you're not special. Reese isn't the chosen hero to save the continent at large, he's just some guy with a tiny, insignificant army that's trying to get by and help out as much as he can.

I know it's not something everyone enjoys (someone in this very thread once said that Berwick felt like the prologue to a "real" story), but me? I love it. Berwick's story may not be perfect, but it does so much I find right that I'm willing to forgive the few goofs it has.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A million-seller is a mark of total success if you ask me.😄

Oh yeah. Game's definitely doing well. I'm really glad for it. It deserves it, it's a great one.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The game hasn't been out for very long either, so crossing the 1 million threshold will very likely happen by the time the year is over. Considering 600k of those sales were outside of East/Southeast Asia, a PC port could readily push those numbers over the line.

If Octopath is anything to go by, there might be a PC port in a year or so.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Unironically why they have less charm than TMS' chat logs.

Ah yes.

03c6FY1.jpg

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

This Barkhorn/Roaring Lion guy is definitely gonna be important in like 5 games, isn’t he?

The fifth Trails game after Cold Steel II will be Kuro II, so it seems we'll still have to wait for him to be important.

(Assuming you are talking about Cold Steel II, that is.)

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Me.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Aye, I'm the same way. I text super slowly, but I do use proper punctuation and all that!

4 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I don't know about you but seeing as how I only get a text every 5 months I  make sure each reply I make is perfected to the reader's convenience.

I mean I'm grammatically correct too, especially after my sister forgot how to spell "you" properly on a college writing assignment. I just assume that most people aren't.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

[Hornless.mp4]

Aren't they clever? Sometimes they even make fun of Kimahri for being small! Two whole jokes!

53 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The fifth Trails game after Cold Steel II will be Kuro II, so it seems we'll still have to wait for him to be important.

(Assuming you are talking about Cold Steel II, that is.)

Yeah, right at the end of the game there’s a side quest where you spend the entire thing chasing a “traveling preist” (who is strongly implied to be a member of the Gralsritter) around  Erebonia only to never actually meet him and he just gets name dropped at the end, with your party going “ah, yes, that dude. He’s really OP. Well, anyway—“

26 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

CS does the Sky cast dirty in so many ways though.

When Estelle still blushes like a Schoolgirl at the slightest touch while in Sky she went for the Kiss...

And Kloe forgives a Warcriminal just like that, who now has a mini harem

And Olivier became an Idiot...

And and...

Edited by Shrimpolaris

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

When Estelle still blushes like a Schoolgirl at the slightest touch while in Sky she went for the Kiss...

And Kloe forgives a Warcriminal just like that, who now has a mini harem

And Olivier became an Idiot...

And and...

I think since Estelle was older, they wanted to keep a younger childlike innocence to her character, thats the route they took.

The others I cant defend though.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I think since Estelle was older, they wanted to keep a younger childlike innocence to her character, thats the route they took.

doesn't work when part of her development was her coming out of her innocence, and how she was aggressive in past games

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The others I cant defend though.

The only characters that can be defended in whole of CS are like, Jusis, Millium and maybe Fie, and even Fie has being a Rean harem member as a stain on her

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

doesn't work when part of her development was her coming out of her innocence, and how she was aggressive in past games

The only characters that can be defended in whole of CS are like, Jusis, Millium and maybe Fie, and even Fie has being a Rean harem member as a stain on her

I didnt say it worked, just saying how i perceived it, was all. She has a very "youthful" spirit. 

I certainly wont argue. 

So me and my buddy played Dawn of the Monsters, that new Kaiju beat em' up. Locally, because there is no online (WayForward, c'mon, this is the second time). Like River City Girls, it's definitely a game you don't want to play by yourself.

The game 100% appeals to my Kaiju-loving brain. Like the art is really fucking good

FOK9FlxUcAA-9Iy?format=jpg&name=large

And the gameplay is good ol' beat em' up. You can do fatalities. Like Not Godzilla can rip off opposing Kaiju's heads, then pick up and throw those severed heads for extra damage. Or like how the Not Eva does the Kenshiro touch of death. It's all pretty dope.

FOK83MMUYAAS0aA?format=jpg&name=large

American politicians when thousands of dying of Covid but the economy is doing good.

FYI, neither me nor my friend actually gave a shit about the story being told here. Like we get some menu tips about how the side chats only last a limited time and expire after a few missions and both of us went 

oh-no-anyway.gif

But yeah, game's pretty fun although without online, idk if the $30 tag is justified.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some SoS games might've implemented a mechanic wherein subsequent bachelors/bachelorettes are harder to court, but that'd be very unusual

RF4 does this.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

NcbkNON.png

Shrimpy rn

E8z2zC3WQAIlUd5.png