• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On your first run? Hoho! Not bad, Sooks, not bad at all.

So this is the part where I’d like to pretend I’m absolutely brilliant and the best at the entire game, but because I’m big dumb when it comes to accidentally reading stuff about the game, I did know two of them ahead of time.

Spoiler

These two being to smuggle the salt in chapter 9 and visit dad in chapter 15. Smuggling the salt I’m one hundred percent confident I would have done regardless, but visiting dad… I mean, I think I would’ve made the decision, but I was concerned about the Roselle. 

Hide contents

The Golden Route splits your team into three squads, so everyone gets used. The problem is that it seems to have been designed for a NG+ file where you have all 30 characters. I've seen reports of people who played it on a fresh file and found it really difficult to get through with less than 10 units on each squad.

Up to you if you wish to try it, but it's not designed to be done on a fresh file.

I’m not worried about the challenge so much as I am about the best way to experience the story. It really depends on if I’m up for replaying the game like 4 times, with one of those runs being nearly identical to this one. Which I don’t think I am.

But it would be nice if it was challenging enough to make that decision for me, yeah.

Out of curiosity, who were you going to side with?

Benedict, 10000%, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ironic, I know. But the other options give a massive middle finger to at least one group of people, while Benedict’s only might.

Of course, since it’s not the golden ending, it almost certainly does anyway.

Spoiler

I’m guessing you sided with Roland? Or maybe you wanted to ally with the super evil Aesfrost ruler just because of his evilness?

On a whim, I've watched Gregor and Cordelia's supports.

Gregor accidentally got Cordelia to fall in love with him by trying to teach her to make Chrom fall for her. Lovely. Gregor continues to have no bad supports and all the good ones.

26 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

JP artist

Gregor is グレゴ (Grego) in JP

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So this is the part where I’d like to pretend I’m absolutely brilliant and the best at the entire game, but because I’m big dumb when it comes to accidentally reading stuff about the game, I did know two of them ahead of time.

Hide contents

These two being to smuggle the salt in chapter 9 and visit dad in chapter 15. Smuggling the salt I’m one hundred percent confident I would have done regardless, but visiting dad… I mean, I think I would’ve made the decision, but I was concerned about the Roselle. 

To be fair, the steps to get to the Golden Route only make sense in hindsight. There's really no way to get them on a first run other than by accident. You just got lucky.

I’m not worried about the challenge so much as I am about the best way to experience the story. It really depends on if I’m up for replaying the game like 4 times, with one of those runs being nearly identical to this one. Which I don’t think I am.

But it would be nice if it was challenging enough to make that decision for me, yeah.

Eehhhhhh I don't know. From what I've seen of them, all the endings are pretty good on their own rights. The Golden Ending isn't necessarily the one that overshadows the rest.

Benedict, 10000%, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ironic, I know.

Nah, I've been there, and if anything, I was expecting this.

Hide contents

I’m guessing you sided with Roland? Or maybe you wanted to ally with the super evil Aesfrost ruler just because of his evilness?

Spoiler

I did not have the heart to be quite so evil as to side with Roland. Actually, I didn't even have the heart to continue to be evil at this key conjunction. So I went with reliable ol' Benedict.

Roland's plan is obviously morally bankrupt. Frederica is just being impatient, she has no plan and wants to gamble on a fairy tale for the salvation of her people (not to mention she's fine with letting everyone else burn). Benedict's plan will end Hyzante's tyranny, which would naturally lead to the freedom of the Roselle, even if it takes a bit longer. As for Aesfrost, my logic was that Svarog could be a key ally in dealing with Gustadolph once he outlives his use. Benedict's path just makes the most sense, at face value.

...That, and I will admit, I did get a kick out of siding with Dolphacula.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, the steps to get to the Golden Route only make sense in hindsight. There's really no way to get them on a first run other than by accident. You just got lucky.

True.

Spoiler

I didn’t use the fire traps early on because I’m overly stubborn, not because I went “ok but these will be useful 10 chapters from now” and I don’t even get why you have to go see dad in chapter 15 to unlock the golden ending.

Eehhhhhh I don't know. From what I've seen of them, all the endings are pretty good on their own rights. The Golden Ending isn't necessarily the one that overshadows the rest.

I mean, yeah, but this one play through took me 40 hours.

Hide contents

I did not have the heart to be quite so evil as to side with Roland. Actually, I didn't even have the heart to continue to be evil at this key conjunction. So I went with reliable ol' Benedict.

Roland's plan is obviously morally bankrupt. Frederica is just being impatient, she has no plan and wants to gamble on a fairy tale for the salvation of her people (not to mention she's fine with letting everyone else burn). Benedict's plan will end Hyzante's tyranny, which would naturally lead to the freedom of the Roselle, even if it takes a bit longer. As for Aesfrost, my logic was that Svarog could be a key ally in dealing with Gustadolph once he outlives his use. Benedict's path just makes the most sense, at face value.

I couldn’t have said it better.

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On a whim, I've watched Gregor and Cordelia's supports.

Gregor accidentally got Cordelia to fall in love with him by trying to teach her to make Chrom fall for her. Lovely. Gregor continues to have no bad supports and all the good ones.

Gregor is such an underrated gem in Awakening's cast, honestly.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Gregor is such an underrated gem in Awakening's cast, honestly.

Loving him more and more. So glad I gave this game another chance just so I could get to know this man better.

gsdx-20220409161528.png

Finally. Over like 20 missions from when I fulfilled all the requirements. OGs might have only a tiny fragment of the hidden stuff of mainline SRW, but still, it's cool. Not necessarily difficult to get, but having to put in special effort at all makes it feel more special than the unit actually is.

I still don't understand why the fan translation changed the Ash Saber/Saviour's name. Were Gun Rapier, Fire Dagger, Halberd Shooter, and Swordbreaker not evidence enough of the mech's theming? -It's a negligible price to pay to have the game translated though.

Even though I have no use for the Mk. III Gunner, due it not being worth two deployment slots, I might go for the last secret unit and convert the Mk. III Trombe to the Mk. III R. That way I can have them all in a single playthrough. This game provides just enough good units that making the swap won't hurt. What does hurt, is the deployment slot count, feels just a pinch limited for all the fun I want to have, if probably but a small fraction of a mainline's roster size.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Cause being a Castlevania fan and a Metroid fan pretty much go hand in hand but you definitely have a clear preference for the former.

Have you seen the "So What'cha Playing?" topic in the general gaming forum? Because someone there has words for Metroid. Crass enough that I didn't bother attempting the slightest act of persuasion, knowing it'd be like talking to a wall. Their brazen language admittedly made me want to gut reaction take a dump on Hollow Knight which I know they adore in the Metroidvania world, but I know better than to do that. And I can assure you, they are an Igavania fan.

-Just a reminder that no two things ever have to be mutually intertwined.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Second boss rush run

FP8JLphWYAQ-v-6?format=jpg&name=large

love that it shows you where you've improved and where you didn't. My two deaths were to Escue because that one still gives me the most trouble and the literal pixel of Elite Chozo's spear hit and killed me. But even with the 15 second penalties, i still did those two faster than in my last run.

Anyways

FP8QvO7agAICP-V?format=jpg&name=large

I have installed peak fiction for the Nintendo Switch.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The difference lies on the enemies. This game has extremely weak enemies that deal negligible damage. Coupled with my own excessive health pool, there is zero meaningful danger while exploring. It makes running around and getting lost get old faster than it should

Well ever since the beginning, Metroid's always challenged the player to beat the game as fast as possible*. It makes sense why the enemies die pretty quickly. I will agree with you on boss design tho, Metroid's boss design at the time wasn't anything too spectacular. It wasn't until Samus Returns where the bosses started to be more but that game was limited by being a Metroid II remake. And then Dread's boss design is just *chef's kiss*. I'm talking mainline btw, Prime boss design and i specifically mean Prime 3 boss design is cool.

Anyways, if you're looking for the enemies to do more, Hard Mode is a thing but this is a lost cause because i don't think you want to play the game again.

*The Primes don't reward you for quick finishes so enemies actually do take more hits and do deal more damage.....detrimentally so in Prime 1, you'd actually hate Prime 1 Ruben.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If anything, now I'm even more skeptical about whether I'd like the rest of Metroid, because the part that I enjoyed the most is so exotic that I fear other Metroids would have nothing like it. It really is quite telling.

What, the exploration? That's actually the main draw for a lot of people.

The stealth, well, Dread also has that, across the whole game this time.

But again, i don't think you're playing these games any time soon.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Have you seen the "So What'cha Playing?" topic in the general gaming forum?

It's still going? I thought that thread died ages ago.

Then again, the forest is pretty much unknown territory to me these days. 

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

huhuhuh

So i guess there was a point to having it be available for pre-load months before huh.

.....Wait a minute, the games don't actually pre-load until a week before! What sorcery is this?!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They could preload it that far back? Since the delay was announced like a month or so ago?

Since last year. It's one of the few games that's had that privilege (that i know of). There others were

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Bravely Default 2
  • think Triangle Strategy

And you know, statistically, this can't be the only person that this has happened to. Which means Advance Wars is totally gonna get leaked.

I am surprised but not really that Nintendo just forgot to change the unlock date. Wonder if they'd just be forced to release it now.

I wonder what Wayforward's current plan with the game actually is.
I get of course not wanting to release the game right now. It's just... well, this isn't the kind of situation that's going to improve anytime soon. Unless Putin just drops dead tomorrow or something.

Oh, I see. The game's page was removed from the E-shop. That's how they handled that.

Yeah, I can most certainly see that the more internal stuff that was set in motion would still happen as initially intended.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Who can ever forget AW's most unfortunate timing of being released in the US at Sep. 10, 2001... yes, really...

Would most certainly suck if the remake share the fate of the Japanese version of the original and and simply don't end up getting released at all.

Edited by BrightBow