• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I wasn't saying it was particularly weird. I honestly mean it, I love it. It sounds like the name a main villain would have. Great stuff. Why hasn't FE used it yet? Oh wait, that's right, we've yet to get a female main villain that isn't playable or redeemable in any capacity.

This reminds of the one time I saw the name used in a video game. A kind of SRPG called Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. I forget how the story went, but Lieselotte ("Liese" as nickname) was a young female sorceress (pretty tame design, just a tiny midriff and upper thigh). She was primarily cast as a villain for part of the story, but depending on which route (good/normal/bad) you were on, she could permanently join you.

I mean... Kinda? Most of the time he's the serious and competent commander type of guy. Not quite an emotionless sociopath like Reese, but close enough. This includes when he's around his designated ship.

I was just assuming that given the old FE lord archetype of Marth, (probably SoV Alm and perhaps Gaiden Alm, sorta Sigurd), Seliph, Leif, Roy, and Eliwood that Zade would be along the lines of them. Reese shares in that mild, regal personality, and so does Runan.

-Though I just lumped a bunch of lords together, mind, they aren't all one and the same to me. Leif I will always cheer on. Seliph... exists to bring Genealogy to a happy ending.

His childhood friend Theodel does get a more sassy side out of him, and around Cyltan he acts like a raging prisoner of the closet. Or maybe I'm exaggerating. It's been a while since I played Vestaria. Either way, he definitely acts a lot more lively when he's around the men closest to him. Feel free to draw from that the same conclusion that the rest of us have.

As if Holmes didn't do the same to Runan, and Hector the same to Eliwood coincidentally. My other assumption was Cyltan the secondary bow lord was Kaga releasing himself from what he deems the essential refined & restrained sword lord. The bold man makes the straight man less milquetoast and more like a real person. To an extent, Eugen and Ward also pleasantly loosen up their lieges (though I won't ship 'em unless I'm in the mood for giving the lords a comical fetish for very older men).

Of course you'd say that

Not my fault IS wrote a better love story between a redhead and a blue balls, than they did between the red & either a blue scaley or a blue-green peg.😝

And let's face it, if Holmes truly loves Katri, it means 1 out of the 3 people he's sleeping with is female.

55 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The character's don't even have noses! XD

My problem with the character designs falls elsewhere.:

218-2183366_final-fantasy-tactics-ps1-ar

The curvature! Why do they look like hourglasses? And it makes their arms seem unsightly in their length and thickness, even if they're actually normal in their proportions. At least the problem applies equally to both male and female. Even Ramza the main character has this deformity.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The curvature! Why do they look like hourglasses? And it makes their arms seem unsightly in their length and thickness, even if they're actually normal in their proportions. At least the problem applies equally to both male and female. Even Ramza the main character has this deformity.

This never actually bothered me, honestly. I can understand where your coming from, however.

Why did FFT use almost all FFV classes? I mean, some of the designs look very similar as well.

Welp. It happened. I've read all of Gregor's supports now. Other than the dad ones.

The only one that wasn't at least good was Maribelle. Felt that one was a bit of a mess. The rest, though? Gregor is treasure and Gregor get best boat with all ladies. Chrom wish Chrom were half Gregor.

...Though I gotta say, I still kinda think Tharja might be his best boat. It's either her, Cordelia, Cherche or Miriel. The rest all range from quite great to pretty good, except Maribelle which was surprisingly mediocre. Mostly Maribelle's fault, though. She does not deserve the Gregor.

Of course, Nowi marrying Gregor is a travesty, but that applies to everyone and their C-A supports are fine, so I'm not counting it.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

The character's don't even have noses! XD

What!? But how do they smell, then!?

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This reminds of the one time I saw the name used in a video game. A kind of SRPG called Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. I forget how the story went, but Lieselotte ("Liese" as nickname) was a young female sorceress (pretty tame design, just a tiny midriff and upper thigh). She was primarily cast as a villain for part of the story, but depending on which route (good/normal/bad) you were on, she could permanently join you.

Hah! See? Right on the money, I was. It just screams "evil mastermind", that name. Uh, my apologies to any Lieselottes reading this. I genuinely think your name is way rad!

I was just assuming that given the old FE lord archetype of Marth, (probably SoV Alm and perhaps Gaiden Alm, sorta Sigurd), Seliph, Leif, Roy, and Eliwood that Zade would be along the lines of them. Reese shares in that mild, regal personality, and so does Runan.

-Though I just lumped a bunch of lords together, mind, they aren't all one and the same to me. Leif I will always cheer on. Seliph... exists to bring Genealogy to a happy ending.

Yes, this is a good summary.

As if Holmes didn't do the same to Runan, and Hector the same to Eliwood coincidentally. My other assumption was Cyltan the secondary bow lord was Kaga releasing himself from what he deems the essential refined & restrained sword lord. The bold man makes the straight man less milquetoast and more like a real person. To an extent, Eugen and Ward also pleasantly loosen up their lieges (though I won't ship 'em unless I'm in the mood for giving the lords a comical fetish for very older men).

To be fair, Cyltan is rather unlike any other lord in Kaga's games. Or... really, FE. I can't recall FE ever pulling something like Cyltan with a main character.

Not my fault IS wrote a better love story between a redhead and a blue balls, than they did between the red & either a blue scaley or a blue-green peg.😝

A blue balls.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh, that's priceless.

And let's face it, if Holmes truly loves Katri, it means 1 out of the 3 people he's sleeping with is female.

Pffft.

Inb4 he becomes his dad but in reverse. The irony.

They have no noses, their hips look incredibly wonky, their feet and hands are Street Fighter-sized, they all have the exact same face and expression (which barely counts as either, honestly)... Goodness. I mean, it's as valid an artstyle as any, but I can't say I like it too much, personally speaking.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't disagree with this. The deus ex machina was uncalled for.

At the same time, resurrection's long been an established thing in Fire Emblem, granted not Elibe specifically. 

• Archanea, Valentia and Judgral all have their own methods of resurrection (Aum Staff, Springs of Revival, whatever it was in Judgral), with the Aum Staff being a thing wanted by those who do bad.
  • TRS continent also has it's own methods of resurrection, likely because it was going to be a Kaga FE in the first place. Dunno about Berwick (actually nvm, it's the same world so Berwick-land in theory has it's own resurrections staff) and i don't remember any in Vestaria.
  • Elibe has Bramimond do his thing, probably because he's just not mortal at this point but there's no gameplay element here (or any of the GBA games).
  • Sacred Stones just has necromancy, which isn't the same thing.
  • Tellius is the only FE continuity without any resurrections, i think.
  • Fateslandia has the Bifrost Staff, which is just the Aum Staff but nerfed gameplay-wise.
  • Fodlan doesn't have any resurrections either, being brought back to life via Bites the Dust isn't the same thing.

So while it is a deus ex machina, at the same time, it didn't really take me out of it. 

That being said, i like your idea.

Don't. Final Fantasy Tactics belongs in a museum, because like many ancient things, it hasn't aged well and shouldn't be used on a daily basis. Its plot is surprisingly amateur for the airs and promises of "politics" and whatnot. Its fame is undeserved. In my opinion, that is.

I remember this one screenshot

9bef3f002eedbbaeb91edfcdfb56bf6a1d63cfc3

and it turned out said quote wasn't actually in the game. 

Not going to ever 100% the survey on your first file?

That would require grinding augments for the superbosses.

Get those last couple of side quests done that you might not have?

I think i've done every regular sidequest in the game on my main file. Because i legit cannot find any more red question marks haha.

As for Affinity Missions, i think i'm just missing Phog and Fyre's combined last Affinity Mission, i don't think i got around to doing Elma's and Boze's last one hasn't been started either but intentional in his case.

I replay nothing and you still complete more video games than me.

Tbf, a lot of the games i've been playing recently are not that long. Even if spend a month on them, the game time itself isn't much. Like the game i spent the most time on this year so far was Persona 5 Royal and we all know how that went.

And before that, the last big long game i played was.....Project X Zone 2. Which i finished back in August.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It stops right before the game leaves the introduction phase and kicks into gear.

Most demos of RPGs don't.

More RPGs need to do the Dragon Quest 11 thing of giving you a free 10 hours of gameplay. I haven't played it but hearing that DQ11S's demo lets you play the first 10 hours is the most based thing Square Enix has done and more RPG devs should do it.

Oh wait, that's right, we've yet to get a female main villain that isn't playable or redeemable in any capacity.

No there's.....hmm. But no, how about.....ah actually. But then there's.......damn, there really is no main female villain that stays villain the entire way in Fire Emblem huh. 

....No no no, there's Rhea in Crimson Flower. That counts! She's not evil in the other routes but that's because she basically kicks the bucket.

Edited by Armagon

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

TRS continent also has it's own methods of resurrection, likely because it was going to be a Kaga FE in the first place. Dunno about Berwick (actually nvm, it's the same world so Berwick-land in theory has it's own resurrections staff) and i don't remember any in Vestaria

No, actually. Berwick has no resurrection shenanigans at all. It may technically be the same world, but it's thousands of years in the future. The only connection between them is one tiny reference in one line in one missable scene. Berwick makes zero mention to the possibility of resurrection being a thing. The orb thingy from TRS probably just became lost to time.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No there's.....hmm. But no, how about.....ah actually. But then there's.......damn, there really is no main female villain that stays villain the entire way in Fire Emblem huh. 

....No no no, there's Rhea in Crimson Flower. That counts! She's not evil in the other routes but that's because she basically kicks the bucket.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. If CF Rhea counts, so does AM Edelgard. I counted neither because in the same game, there's another route where they're not villains. Sure, Rhea is completely irrelevant in all the other routes, but she's still not a villain. Lyon may be tragic and sympathetic, but does he get redeemed and/or saved in any part of the game? Nope.

Of course, we do have a couple of secondary female villains that are irredeemable. Shame they're all the same of two characters except for like, Hilda.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, actually. Berwick has no resurrection shenanigans at all. It may technically be the same world, but it's thousands of years in the future. The only connection between them is one tiny reference in one line in one missable scene. Berwick makes zero mention to the possibility of resurrection being a thing.

That's why i said in theory.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But that's exactly what I'm saying. If CF Rhea counts, so does AM Edelgard. I counted neither because in the same game, there's another route where they're not villains.

Ok but that's just the sort of thing that comes when there's multiple routes.

And i was also going for none-playable, which Edelgard isn't. 

But still, CF Rhea is like the closest example.

Just now, Armagon said:

Ok but that's just the sort of thing that comes when there's multiple routes.

And i was also going for none-playable, which Edelgard isn't. 

But still, CF Rhea is like the closest example.

Fair enough. I guess she is the closest to it.

Benedict's ending seems to be the most popular among the community, with Frederica's being a close second and Roland's... uh, yeah.

Frederica’s ending? Popular? Why??

I mean, I’m assuming what you’re saying is that a lot of people picked it, if you just mean that it’s good then yeah, I hope so.

I didn't have Cordelia, so that's neat that the game acknowledges her, but I believe the game did mention something about the events at the capital in my run as well.

It’s more the specific phrase he uses, when he’s telling Hughette to say he says something about “those two” in reference to some generic orphans at the capital. Unless he goes into more detail here if you didn’t go to the capital, or something.

Or if they’ve got a supportive kind of friendship he definitely would have told her, at least off screen, because… what happens isn’t great.

I mean, Dimitri is an above average protagonist by FE's standards, but... Well. FE's standards. His development is still rushed and riddled with issues. Also he's a worse FE protagonist than Leif. But then, who isn't, really?

Ah yes, Leif. The protagonist from peak human achievement which I have definitely played.

46 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Frederica’s ending? Popular? Why??

I mean, I’m assuming what you’re saying is that a lot of people picked it, if you just mean that it’s good then yeah, I hope so.

I mean, from what I've seen of them, I think all of them are well written.

As for why Freddie's path is so popular... I think it's because it is, as all things with Freddie, the fairy tale approach. At face value, it sounds like you'll bravely rush in, heroically rescue an oppressed people and run away to a safe haven where you can all live happily ever after, free from all worries and fears. If you're the kind of person who likes more lighthearted, straightforward tales, I can see the merit in going down this path.

This is all based on what you know when you're making the choice, of course. I know how the three routes end, but I'm not taking that into account, because a blind player faced with this choice obviously does not have that knowledge to consider when picking a path. That, and it'd be spoilers for you, haha. Otherwise I would've mentioned a couple more things about Benedict's path in my earlier post.

It’s more the specific phrase he uses, when he’s telling Hughette to say he says something about “those two” in reference to some generic orphans at the capital. Unless he goes into more detail here if you didn’t go to the capital, or something.

Ohh... Yeah, I don't recall anything about this.

Ah yes, Leif. The protagonist from peak human achievement which I have definitely played.

Hey, I've gone over this before. I'm not one of those "Jugdral is humankind's masterpiece" types. But gotta give credit when it's due. Leif is the FE protagonist that gets the most development out of the lot. Of course, the competition isn't exactly stellar, considering most of them don't get any development whatsoever and half of them are copies of the same guy who suffered from severe hardware limitations. But still. Good effort on Leif's part.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Teeeeeeehheeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeerrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Plot bunnies staying in your head is such a blursed feeling.

What Wraith imagines Shrimp-kun is thinking about when it comes to “plot bunnies”:

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yes, that's the 06 route all right.

My route is Roy x Cecilia

Onee-sans are love. Onee-sans are life.

Ara ara noises intensifies Blank Template - Imgflip

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

At the same time, resurrection's long been an established thing in Fire Emblem, granted not Elibe specifically. 

• Archanea, Valentia and Judgral all have their own methods of resurrection (Aum Staff, Springs of Revival, whatever it was in Judgral), with the Aum Staff being a thing wanted by those who do bad.
  • TRS continent also has it's own methods of resurrection, likely because it was going to be a Kaga FE in the first place. Dunno about Berwick (actually nvm, it's the same world so Berwick-land in theory has it's own resurrections staff) and i don't remember any in Vestaria.
  • Elibe has Bramimond do his thing, probably because he's just not mortal at this point but there's no gameplay element here (or any of the GBA games).
  • Sacred Stones just has necromancy, which isn't the same thing.
  • Tellius is the only FE continuity without any resurrections, i think.
  • Fateslandia has the Bifrost Staff, which is just the Aum Staff but nerfed gameplay-wise.
  • Fodlan doesn't have any resurrections either, being brought back to life via Bites the Dust isn't the same thing.

I think there's some mention that Oliver too was resurrected by the Begnion Senators... but I might not be remembering right what exactly was stated when it came to how he came back.

It's snowing.

Why the fuck is it snowing.

It's nearly the middle of April.

This has literally never happened before

What the fuck.

I'm not even sure if there are any Japanese gardens in Spain, let alone local to my area lol.

Still, duly noted if I ever stumble into one. Somehow.

Who knows! If it has a history of Japanese immigrants it may have a Japanese Garden.

Well, looking at the Steam page for the game, it looks like there's at least one more character with that aesthetic. Or at least one that looks similar to my untrained eye. His name is Quidel and you can see him in one of the screenshots in the Steam page. Don't remember if he's in the trailer too.

Ah yes, I see him. I'm no name expert so I can't vouch for authenticity there, all I know is that Quidel is sort of similar to Quetzal which is a Mayan name. Other then that it's certainly a generic Native American design, the clothing is definitely inspired from central North American tribes though the body paint is an odd combination between Inuit and Caribbean designs, those little shine marks around her right eye tip me off especially.

Don't get it wrong though, it's still very much fantastical. The exposed mid-drift and shoulders, the skirt and top, the left leggings, it's all fantasy which is perfect for the world it's set in so no complaints there(Though I do wish there was more colors). I'll be following this game with great interest.

Sorry on the tangent. These types of characters are rarely made so I like analyzing them.

Almost makes my 17 years of research not completely worthless.

18 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Who knows! If it has a history of Japanese immigrants it may have a Japanese Garden.

There certainly is history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people_in_Spain

Perhaps not big per se, but it's there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pffft.

Tear-Ring-Saga-2020-01-11-10-49-23.png

Spoiler

Tear-Ring-Saga-2020-01-11-10-49-35.png

Playing hard to get will make Holmes harder, Shigen. You know refusing him when he wants it will turn him into some kind of annoyingly desperate sad puppy until you give in. Look on the bright side, he'll be putty in your hands and obligated to the favor with whatever the hell you want. You've been through this before.

I don't remember if I intentionally froze the game when this dialogue appeared for the out-of-context screenshot I simply had to take, or if the game didn't actually load the last sentence until I pressed a button to continue the dialogue.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

That would require grinding augments for the superbosses.

"Only" the Telethia, none of the other superbosses are part of the survey. I could check what augments I threw on my Ares 90 and won. But, I getcha.😉 Just link consciousness with me and I'll transfer the experience of having finished the survey to you.

As for Affinity Missions, i think i'm just missing Phog and Fyre's combined last Affinity Mission, i don't think i got around to doing Elma's and Boze's last one hasn't been started either but intentional in his case.

Phog & Frye's is pretty chill. Perhaps boring, but as I rewatched it recently, it felt... homey? It's subdued, but you can detect the brotherly bonds and normal day-to-day interactions. It's ordinary family life, on a planet far removed from Earth, in the middle of Sylvalum. Unusual, but I find it appreciable.

For the old weeb, you're missing out on Slayonet by not doing it. Not that you need it, obviously. The enemy you have to kill for it is annoying, because they're in a cave too small for Skells, and there is a good deal of lava around the floating foe that you stand a nonzero chance of falling into during the fight.

I saved Elma's last AfM for the very last piece of the survey, thought it'd be a fitting way to end the game. It's the hardest AfM of them all, though still trivialized by the Ares.

More RPGs need to do the Dragon Quest 11 thing of giving you a free 10 hours of gameplay. I haven't played it but hearing that DQ11S's demo lets you play the first 10 hours is the most based thing Square Enix has done and more RPG devs should do it.

Mind, it's still only long enough I'm told to get the fourth party member (I was going to get the game regardless of the demo, so I didn't play it). And it stops right before the town where Sylvando shows up, and he's DQXI's best.😆

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's the hardest AfM of them all, though still trivialized by the Ares.

Seeing this makes me remember doing it for the first time totally unprepared... Whoops.

Finally managed to cut Kalameet's tail off. God, this was just no fun.
Was hoping there would be some juicy lore on that Greatsword but nope.

Like, seriously, what's the deal with Kalameet? The weird 3rd eye with telekinetic powers. The fact that it's fire breath does not actually deal fire damage, but instead a mix of physical and magic damage. The same as Abyss magic, but it's in no way hinted at that it has a connection to the Abyss. The Silver Pendant also doesn't defend against the fire, unlike Abyss magic.
Yet the only lore it has is "He is an ancient dragon". A bit of a letdown, honestly.
Come to think of it, Kalameet is probably where Echoes ripped it's redesign for Duma off from.

At least the Obsidian Greatsword looks pretty good. Strong base attack that seems like it easily makes up for the fact that it has no stat scaling.

Edited by BrightBow

you can all live happily ever after

But… literally everyone else on the continent! They exist too!

3 hours ago, Elina said:

Teeeeeeehheeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeerrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Teehee.