How would it have changed Flayns part in the plot?

It probably wouldn’t have in all honesty, unless the slitherers who kidnapped her needed Cethleann’s crest blood specifically, which there is no proof of. That’s really her only role in the plot, other than I guess to try and redeem the church to the player by being like look at this one? Maybe? Either way, I don’t think her specific crest would change anything, unless it wasn’t rare.

Since we’re on the topic of Flayn’s blood, what was their purpose of TWSITD kidnapping her? Is it to help revive Nemesis or turn her into another member of that group or what? I know they established that her blood is special and and rare, and maybe I’m missing some there.

28 minutes ago, Barren said:

Since we’re on the topic of Flayn’s blood, what was their purpose of TWSITD kidnapping her? Is it to help revive Nemesis or turn her into another member of that group or what? I know they established that her blood is special and and rare, and maybe I’m missing some there.

Its just another of Solon's plots that ultimately goes nowhere. Same as his Remire drug experiments. 

There is speculation that her blood is used for the demonic beasts, but something so supremely important about a relatively important character would have been brought up if that was the case. 

2 hours ago, Barren said:

Spoiler

I don't think it's ever really stated outright, but I see it as mostly just a ploy to allow Kronya to inflitrate Garreg Mach. If they weren't expecting Flayn to be rescued, then they probably wouldn't have kept her so close to the monastery, and they definitely wouldn't have left her next to one of their own people disguised as a missing student. Having it specifically be Flayn who went missing ensured that she would be searched for. There'd be no mistake that she might have run away, Seteth would be sure to want to go after her, and the uniqueness of her Nabatean blood was plausible enough as a reason to target her that the trap not be so obvious.

Maybe this is an example of giving the writing more credit than it deserves, but it makes sense to me at least.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don't think it's ever really stated outright, but I see it as mostly just a ploy to allow Kronya to inflitrate Garreg Mach. If they weren't expecting Flayn to be rescued, then they probably wouldn't have kept her so close to the monastery, and they definitely wouldn't have left her next to one of their own people disguised as a missing student. Having it specifically be Flayn who went missing ensured that she would be searched for. There'd be no mistake that she might have run away, Seteth would be sure to want to go after her, and the uniqueness of her Nabatean blood was plausible enough as a reason to target her that the trap not be so obvious.

Maybe this is an example of giving the writing more credit than it deserves, but it makes sense to me at least.

Monica was said to be missing from the year prior so if what you said were to be true then I can see Flayn’s blood being a red herring. It makes sense on that front but other than that, it does basically become forgotten otherwise.

Still it is something to think about.

But then there were the crest stones in the Holy Tomb the empire tried to snag. Hanneman mentions that crest stones might have been used to create demonic beasts. Would that have also had something to do with Flayn’s blood or does it just go nowhere?

Edited by Barren

1 hour ago, Barren said:

Monica was said to be missing from the year prior so if what you said were to be true then I can see Flayn’s blood being a red herring. It makes sense on that front but other than that, it does basically become forgotten otherwise.

Still it is something to think about.

But then there were the crest stones in the Holy Tomb the empire tried to snag. Hanneman mentions that crest stones might have been used to create demonic beasts. Would that have also had something to do with Flayn’s blood or does it just go nowhere?

I forget the exact wording, but isn't it also said that when Monica went missing, everyone just assumed that she'd run away or something like that? It's somewhat amusing to imagine TWSITD kidnapping a student so they can replace her with a mole before she's rescued, only to realise that there won't be a rescue because nobody at the monastery actually gives a damn.

As for the crest stones at the holy tomb, that's even further complicated by the ambiguity over how many of the Flame Emperor's actions were taken independently and how many were done in collaboration with TWSITD. I guess that it pretty much has to go nowhere as a plot point, because otherwise the game would have to account for two possible scenarios. You can't have the game say "they've done horrible things with those crest stones they stole" or "good job we stopped them stealing all the crest stones" without taking into account which actually happened in the game.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:39 PM, James Marshall said:

I have a what-if question about Flayn. What are your thoughts on it?

If Flayn had inherited her Fathers Crest of Cichol rather then having a Crest Of Cethleann that, at the time, was unique to her how would it have changed her part in the plot?

I feel like changing her crest alone would not be enough to spur a major change in the storyline. One potential pitch I could throw out there is say, what if Seteth died at the end of Chapter 12 during Edelgard's siege of Garreg March if the player chose to teach the Black Eagles? 

In Silver Snow this could serve as motivation to Flayn's character growth, with her stepping up as a leader for the Church with her father's death and Rhea being capture. Of the three, she was always the most open minded when it came to integrating back into society and she could provide a new prospective their origins. Sivler Snow could even see her inheriting Seteth's relic.

Seteth's dead in Crimson Flower would give Rhea that extra push into snapping.