Best Swordmaster

(Is this necessary?)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. <_<

• Navarre
    • Athena
    • Raddy

In terms of default classes, at least, I prefer Raddy. Always turns out nice for me, unlike Navarre, who would work better as... an Archer, perhaps.

This. Even though Navarre is good too.

Edited by Little Al

For the natural Swordmasters, Navarre destroys all of them. Starting with a C in Swords and a Killer Sword makes him a good early-game character.

Raddy is terrible. A base 18 HP and is one-rounded by everyone in his joining chapter. Also, his only support is Ceasar. Very mediocre character.

She still doesn't exist, due to being forced to kill characters just for recruitment.

Neither do all Gaiden characters, apparently. You know, going out of your way to meet special objectives and all that. Or do you have a different opinion?

Navarre. Hands down.

It's a shame that the SM class got seriously nerfed in this game though. Come on, a 10% boost to HIT!?!?

Navarre would have been amazing if he was in, say, FE7 (or any FE that had the critical bonus + good avoid formula)

its arguably the worst class in the game if you're not playing H5.
I honestly think Dark Mage is worse. At least it's possible to get a good Swordmaster.

Just like with Snipers (an amazing class outside of those that start out as Archers), the most practical Swordmasters are class swapped ones. Kain, Abel, Katua, etc...

• 6 years later...

Navarre starts out good, and stays good/useful throughout the game, however, Radd starts out weak but later becomes extremely powerful. For a first run through of the game I'd recommend Navarre, but if you want to go over and beyond for multiplayer I'd recommend Radd. I use Radd and I arena abused with him and right now I could honestly beat the entire game with him alone right now. Radd's stats focus on hp, strength, and speed with the occasional defense. But in my experience, Navarre had more spread out stats getting more skill and luck and less hp and strength. In the end, Radd will trash Navarre. For more experienced players, don't bother with Navarre and get Radd and Catria sword master duo.

swordmasters are pretty mediocre anyway in this game, outside of some specific maps, for which you can just reclass whatever strong unit, Cain can get the job done for example, Hardin works too. Radd won't have a str lead over Navarre for a very long time (WEXP plays a role too), since the latter has a better base and a notable timespan for self-improvement between their recruitments. Navarre on the flipside is likely to maintain a Spd lead over Radd and not lose it forever. It might well be good enough to switch to classes like Dracoknight and Sniper, which let him avoid near-constant WTD. Radd has issues damaging enemies at base to get the kills he needs in the first place (although it's possible), and even then he takes a lot of levels to get ahead of the curve, especially in higher difficulties.

the OP figured this out in 2008

Edited by Gradivus.