Smash Ultimate Rut

FailWood

IMG_20220310_190531399_HDR.thumb.jpg.1238620e217fc5d5ccf45b8409b66449.jpg

IMG_20220310_190712598.thumb.jpg.372db4695605b336abcb36a764325651.jpg

This is what happens when you don't play Smash for 3 months.  Post focuses mainly on Wario and Dr. Mario.  Online is brutal.

Edited by FailWood

I know. Like for how Ultimate this Smash is supposed to be. I don't find myself coming back to it as much as Smash 4.... I wish I would, but Idk.... online is bad and even after the final DLC character, I feel like I stopped playing for a while. It gets me sad cuz it deserves better. They need to fix the online amd support it more

7 hours ago, TheChoZenOne said:

I know. Like for how Ultimate this Smash is supposed to be. I don't find myself coming back to it as much as Smash 4.... I wish I would, but Idk.... online is bad and even after the final DLC character, I feel like I stopped playing for a while. It gets me sad cuz it deserves better. They need to fix the online amd support it more

I swear I get my Preferred Rules no more then 20% of the time, because constantly getting Battlefield stages or Small Battlefield even though I set Omega stages as my preference is the most frustrating part for me (doesn't help that the game won't follow your My Music settings if it doesn't pick your rules, which is unlike Smash 4 which ALWAYS gave everyone their music).  Not being allowed to change your character unless you're in Arena sucks too.

8 hours ago, FailWood said:

Not being allowed to change your character unless you're in Arena sucks too.

This is what really ruined the game for me. I like using a lot of different characters. Having to find a new opponent in order to both use and face a different character completely kills momentum for me.

It makes the whole "Everyone is here!" tagline kind of ironic. "Everyone is here!...but you can only use one."

Smash 4 wasn't perfect by any means, but For Glory was great and I really only stopped playing it when Ultimate came. Meanwhile, I haven't played Ultimate online since before Byleth was announced. Quick Play being For Glory 1v1 with more preference options should've been a recipe for success, but they somehow screwed it up.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, Florete said:

This is what really ruined the game for me. I like using a lot of different characters. Having to find a new opponent in order to both use and face a different character completely kills momentum for me.

Especially if that new opponent is significantly better or worse then the one you stopped playing against.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, Florete said:

Smash 4 wasn't perfect by any means, but For Glory was great and I really only stopped playing it when Ultimate came. Meanwhile, I haven't played Ultimate online since before Byleth was announced. Quick Play being For Glory 1v1 with more preference options should've been a recipe for success, but they somehow screwed it up.

That's what I did too, except it was For Glory Teams that I mainly played back then.

The last time I put a lot of play time in at once with Ultimate was when Terry released, and it lasted until shortly after Byleth came out.  I played briefly again each time a new character came out, with more time put in with Pyra/Mythra's release and Sora's release, but after I was done with him, I put the game down until this week.

Online is awful is you really want to improve or have some form of competitive spirit. When you start out, it's probably passable, since you don't have a real standard to begin with. But as someone that got stuck with it through all of 2020, it was an experience that almost killed my passion for the game.