"Type Form" moves

Lord_Brand

I developed this template in my recent topic about "Moves that should exist", when coming up with Ghost Form, Dragon Form, and Fairy Form moves.

The template I have in mind goes like thus: The move will raise two stats by one stage each, and adds a type to the user for as long as that Pokemon remains active. Each Form raises a different pair of stats. I developed the following list with help from my bro:

• Normal Form - Raises Attack and Speed, temporarily adds Normal-type
  • Fighting Form - Raises Attack and Accuracy, temporarily adds Fighting-type
  • Flying Form - Raises Speed and Accuracy, temporarily adds Flying-type
  • Ground Form - Raises Attack and Sp. Defense, temporarily adds Ground-type
  • Rock Form - Raises Attack and Defense, temporarily adds Rock-type
  • Bug Form - Raises Speed and Evasion, temporarily adds Bug-type
  • Poison Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Defense, temporarily adds Poison-type
  • Ghost Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Evasion, temporarily adds Ghost type
  • Steel Form - Raises Defense and Speed, temporarily adds Steel-type
  • Fire Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Speed, temporarily adds Fire-type
  • Grass Form - Raises Defense and Sp. Defense, temporarily adds Grass-type
  • Water Form - Raises Sp. Defense and Evasion, temporarily adds Water-type
  • Electric Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Accuracy, temporarily adds Electric-type
  • Psychic Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, temporarily adds Psychic-type
  • Ice Form - Raises Sp. Attack and Defense, temporarily adds Ice-type
  • Dragon Form - Raises Attack and Sp. Attack, temporarily adds Dragon type
  • Dark Form - Raises Attack and Evasion, temporarily adds Dark-type
  • Fairy Form - Raises Sp. Defense and Speed, temporarily adds Fairy type

Edited by Lord_Brand

It's an interesting concept, although I think I'd prefer introducing them selectively, with lore rationale. Kind of like how "Soak" is allowed to exist, without needing 17 other "change the target's type" moves. That said, here's how I'd do some in this vein:

Melting Point. An Ice-type status move that removes the Ice typing from its user, and turns it to Water instead. The secondary typing, if any, is retained. Also restores all HP and removes any status conditions. Fails when used by a non-Ice-type Pokemon. Potential users include Jynx, Cryogal, Beartic, Avalugg, and Eiscue, among others.

Training Montage. A Fighting-type status move that overwrites Normal-type with Fighting-type. It also boosts their critical hit rate, and Attack by two stages. Fails if the user is not Normal-type. Potential users include Kantonian Farfetch'd, Ursaring, Zangoose, Lopunny, and Watchog, among others.

Petrification. A Grass-type status move that removes the Grass-type from its user, and replaces it with Rock instead. Also grants immunity to critical hits, and raises Defense by two stages. Fails if the user is not Grass-type. Potential users include Torterra, Trevenant, and Alolan Exeggutor, among others.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It's an interesting concept, although I think I'd prefer introducing them selectively, with lore rationale. Kind of like how "Soak" is allowed to exist, without needing 17 other "change the target's type" moves. That said, here's how I'd do some in this vein:

Melting Point. An Ice-type status move that removes the Ice typing from its user, and turns it to Water instead. The secondary typing, if any, is retained. Also restores all HP and removes any status conditions. Fails when used by a non-Ice-type Pokemon. Potential users include Jynx, Cryogal, Beartic, Avalugg, and Eiscue, among others.

Training Montage. A Fighting-type status move that overwrites Normal-type with Fighting-type. It also boosts their critical hit rate, and Attack by two stages. Fails if the user is not Normal-type. Potential users include Kantonian Farfetch'd, Ursaring, Zangoose, Lopunny, and Watchog, among others.

Petrification. A Grass-type status move that removes the Grass-type from its user, and replaces it with Rock instead. Also grants immunity to critical hits, and raises Defense by two stages. Fails if the user is not Grass-type. Potential users include Torterra, Trevenant, and Alolan Exeggutor, among others.

Incidentally, I started out with just three forms: Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy. Ghost would raise Sp. Attack and Evasion, Dragon would raise Attack and Sp. Attack, and Fairy would raise Speed and Evasion. I then thought it'd be interesting if each type got a move that worked like this.

Neat ideas! I like the more diverse and organic names.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Nice! All that unsuspecting bug, fire, and flying types will be nope-ing out from a petrified Torterra or Trevenant!