Mastery Skills look so... well, toned down, somehow.

Zelgius

Take Astra and Aether for example.

In FE9, Astra was a 5-hit, rapid attack at half damage each. It was quick.

In FE10, Astra was... well, it's at normal damage, but you just stop when you killed the enemy.

In FE9, Aether was a badass, throw-sword-in-the-air-and-land-and-do-lots-of-damage-pie kinda thing. With the flipping and whatnot.

In FE10, the same effect applies... but it felt slower, while Aether was faster-- and sometimes, Ike might only do one half of the Aether, and... that's it.

Sol was a yellow glow in FE9, and the horse neighs, and you strike. Simple.

Now, it's just two strikes, a neigh, and another.

Gah. I miss the old Aether... sure, Radiant Dawn's graphics are awesome, but there's no blue-aura, the flipping and camera shooting Ike in the air... and I remember all of the sounds. SHING! Whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop... daTISH, TISH!

Edit : Of course, I know graphics and the sounds don't affect how much damage and blah blah blah, but I liked how they looked. And now, they just look meh.

Say, I've only played FE6-10.

Were skills in other games?

skills were not in other games(unless you count the ones in SS). I don't see your problem. Every master skill except Aether has gotten a ton better. Aether is just the same because it was already good enough. And everyone can get it too, it isn't limited to four characters.

Huh... that's odd. Could've sworn I heard someone say Skills were in other games.

Nevertheless, I'm just talking about how the Mastery Skills look, that's all.

It's not THAT important, but hey, I like visuals.

Really? I had heard PoR was the first FE with skills.

Nope. FE9's skills were taken from FE4 and 5.

Luna was Moonlight Sword, Astra was Meteor Sword, Sol was Solar Sword. Critical attacks were pulled off in FE4 via a skill, too. I know there were more skills in FE9 that were based off FE4/5 ones, but I forget most of them.

Also, Astra and Aether got more dramatic is all.

...Luna was Moonlight Sword...

yeah, which is why I thought when Ike was telling Titania in FE9 how Greil died "It was protruding from Father's back, and shining in the moonlight." was an awesome reference, because Burger King obviously used Luna...and you know Moonlight sword...shining in the moonlight...definately...

what i didn't like about skills in RD compared to PoR is that vantage only worked every once in a while, not all the time. So mia didnt own as much as she could've. and the canto thing takes up 5 spaces in the gauge, while in PoR it is just something that mounted units can do, but i guess the fact that flying laguz have that now balances that out

i also do like how you can take skills off of someone and add them to someone else

what i didn't like about skills in RD compared to PoR is that vantage only worked every once in a while, not all the time. So mia didnt own as much as she could've. and the canto thing takes up 5 spaces in the gauge, while in PoR it is just something that mounted units can do, but i guess the fact that flying laguz have that now balances that out

i also do like how you can take skills off of someone and add them to someone else

In a way, canto did take up more of the gauge, because mounted units always had five less capacity than non-mounted units in PoR.

Personally, I think the animations for skills have improved immensely for this game. Astra was so incredibly fast that you didn't know what the heck was going on, and all the movements seemed unnaturally quick and inhuman. Characters are still able to defy the laws of gravity in this one, but it all goes smoother and actually looks like something a human could be able to do. With some rope and a crane.

I didn't like how Canto took up 10 capacity. I gave Jill Resolve early on and that was all until she reached 3rd tier and got Stun as well.

But it still takes up the same capacity amount as normal units that have Shove because Stun uses 5 less capacity than normal Mastery Skills. Well, Sol still takes up the same capacity I think so at least flying units with Canto can have normal capacity.

IIRC

in FE 1, ever noticed that the Knights and the Heroes (I don't remember their Jap class names and not the mounted units) would seem to guard attacks (They have Shields). I would count that as a skill but really hidden.

I think I'm thinking of FE Mystery of the Emblem.

Also FE 4 and 5 possess skills. I believe that's where whole skill system originated from.

I think the whole rescuing thing began with 5 as well.

Well with that said: yeah, I like FE 9's Master Skills animations more for the most part. They got more adrenaline in them and more flashy. But 10 does the Slo-mo kind of thing for Astra to imply that they are moving very fast too.

• 3 months later...

What upsets me is how every boss in the final chapters (Excluding Lekain) has Nihil. So they aren't as important as they were in PoR. At least to me.

in FE 1, ever noticed that the Knights and the Heroes (I don't remember their Jap class names and not the mounted units) would seem to guard attacks (They have Shields). I would count that as a skill but really hidden.

I think I'm thinking of FE Mystery of the Emblem.

That's just their dodging animation like in FE10

Here are the older skills for the record...

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe4/skill.htm

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe5/skill.html

The "Combination Attack" is actually the "Recover" skill as the Combination attack is like the sibling bonus and is "Built-In" and isn't actually a skill like recover is (A very common misconception since recover is usually overlooked because of the life skill, making people think that final icon is the love bonus since there is no other "skills" left).

FE5 also has a few unused skills not listed.

Edited by Izuka