Final Fantasy Tactics

grandjackal

I'm sure it's been brought up many times, but why the hell not.

Come in and discuss the series (not just FFT for the PS), whatever comes to mind.

Such as Aurablast in FFTA2 basically making whoever has it a Master Exploder.

FFT does have semblance of challenge, at least much moreso than FFTA can ever dream of, though I still found it easy enough to be boring after awhile, but at least its character customizability and depth is far greater. Then again, this was the PSX version. The AI in War of the Lions is pretty crazy.

It's why I need to get the 1.3 patch installed, which makes the game far more difficult (and adds a bunch of new features/balance changes/etc).

Edited by Rody

1.3 version of FFT? Not sure about that, but do inform me as to what makes it so special.

As for Jason W., the series is well enough. I suppose I could try to sum it up.

FFT can be pretty difficult on a no-grinding run. Magic has a charge time, situations can be unforgiving at times (Ramza vs Dark Knight comes to mind), class system is weird (you basically need CP to buy your class skills so you start as a new class you start with nothing. Some classes are generally weird, like the Calculator. Terribly useless with no grinding, terribly broken with grinding).Story's pretty great...Till it rolls around near the end. One of the curses of Ivalice game. The other being that they are at times too damn long and you feel you don't care to finish it. The job system works like this, in that you need to have a certain amount of a certain class's abilities to be able to unlock other jobs. Like you need a certain amount of white and black mage abilities to be abble to access sumoner and time mage class. That being said, plenty to tinker around with, though some things are a bit rediculous...

FFTA redid the class system in that you need AP and a certain weapon equipped to learn an ability, meaning as long as you have a weapon to learn an ability with, you can switch to another class and be able to do an ability. Same thing with jobs in that you need a certain amount of abilities learned to move onto another class, though it has been greatly simplified in comparison. The game also gives you plenty to do, and the world is greatly more evolved in comparison to the first, as FFTA feels more like another world. The race system also helps promote diversity and army customization. It feels very satisfying. However, it's plenty of problems. 1. Any instant death or stop ability is hilariously broken. Being able to pull it off has too good a chance and once you get them, the game becomes a joke. Hell, status abilities in general are a bit too powerful 2. The game was rather easy anyways. 3. The laws system is highly annoying. it gets in the way more than anything. 4. LolNinja, LolGunner,LolAssassin. The story sucks royal balls too.

FFTA2 feels quite a bit more perfected. Status abilities now don't work nearly every shot, you aren't so damn prone to missing anymore, powerful abilities come at times when you expect them to (that being later), magic is now more fair as you start every battle with 0 and buil up mp from there (essentially making you charge them up, so each spell cast you have to account for the cost, as in the past MP became negligeable when you got enough of it) so you can't just spam magic forever. You'll actually bother using variosu class abilities. The laws system is nowhere near as annoying and is more a reward system than a punishing system. Even your miscelleneous characters have a bit of personality to them, though they're no FE support convo deep people. It feels a lot more alive and effective. The game's not hard, but it's not easy either, if that makes any sense. It's not lol like FFTA anyways.

Overall, I'd recommend FFTA2 for the most part.

1.3 version of FFT? Not sure about that, but do inform me as to what makes it so special.
http://ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1671

Good god! Quite the effort was put into that sucker...

Pity I find FFT's presentation causes the game to be insanely boring and that I have no way to play the game anyways, even in emulation

I hate the series. The first game is a complete bore in all ways possible. The others split into slightly more creative fronts, but suffers from complete repetition to the point of having no real gameplay at all other than repeated manuever.

Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics

QFT! It isn't even a contest, the replayability of LUCT is insane...not just all the classes, hidden characters, but the branching paths not just for a few chapters but for a large portion of the game...the ability to make decisions that influence the plotline, the music, amazing stuff. KOL was good too, but doesn't compare...loved Ogre battle and Ogre battle 64 as well though that is RTS. Hopefully (I know it is a long shot) this series is revived.

As for FFT series, I did enjoy the first game a lot...until you got a certain godlike character, but FFTA and FFTA2 I couldn't get into at all.

thanks, Pretty Boi Wolf, for the summary on the series. i've played and beaten the main story of the first one, and it was enjoyable for the most part, although from what i remember the game seemd to take a fair amount of level-grinding, particularly near the beginning.